Denon dn-x600 macbook pro

Sorry, but it’s impossible to get Traktor 3 working with the x600 with any version of macOS. If you have an older MacBook — I used a 2014 — then you can install El Capitan and get a copy of Traktor 2.6.7. That works perfectly. It might work with 2.6.8 as well, but I only tried up to 2.6.7.

Incidentally my 2014 MacBook Pro just died so I’m selling my Denon DN-X600. I just switched to a newer Reloop mixer. But boy I loved that Denon!

1 Like

thank you for your answer but is it really difficult to update it for Denon? I don’t get it!

It’s 13 years old, in that time Apple have made countless OS updates and even drastic changes to their hardware… at this point expecting 13yr old tech to be continually updated to work with latest computers is unrealistic

1 Like

so what about allen&heath xone 23C? it’s 9 years old but still works very well with all softwares, that’s realistic!

The Denon x600’s bigger brother, the x1600, is USB compliant so it should work with Traktor and Serato; not sure about RekordBox. If I hadn’t found my Reloop mixer recently, I would have bought this x1600 that’s on Reverb right now. It’s an insane steal at $249. It just dropped -$150. Just a few months ago all the x1600’s I saw were all above $500. (I don’t know this seller, I’ve just been watching this listing for weeks.)

ok then , I’ll throw my dn x600 in the trash…

I have the x1700 and it doesn’t work as a sound card with Mac unless it’s a really old Mac. Denon abandoned it to try and force people to buy the inferior X1800 and X1850. I believe the X1600 & X1700 might still work with a PC but I’ll let somebody who has that setup answer.

Why would you do that? Sell it. I’m going to sell my on Reverb, as well.

I forgot to mention, if you have an Intel MacBook Pro, just install Windows on it with Boot Camp then you can use your x600. The Traktor UI looks pretty much the same on macOS and Windows. Of course If you have a newer Apple Silicon MBP, you don’t have that option. I tried to use my 14" M1 Pro with Windows via Parallels with the x600 and I couldn’t get it to work.

Ah, you’re right. I was thinking of the 1800. Denon didn’t update the 1600 to work with the new audio drivers Mac introduced with Sierra in 2016, same as the x600. And that’s on Denon — they had access to the macOS Sierra developer beta for at least 6 months before it was released — they could have fixed their mixers with a firmware update, but like you said, they wanted everyone to spend more money the 1800 and 1850.

That’s a real shame because the x600 and x1600 were built solidly, they sound great, they have capable high-bitrate sound cards, and great effects. Denon introduced them in 2010 and by 2016 they already stopped supporting them on Mac (and Macs were the most popular DVS at that time which means Denon knew exactly what they were doing). On Windows they both still work with ASIO drivers that are downloadable on the Denon DJ site in the legacy section.

Another option is to get yourself a sound card so you can essentially use any mixer on the planet with DJ software.

Or Apple shouldn’t have broken their OS for audio, and should have ensured backwards compatibility. Those core audio changes which Apple threw into the marketplace affected hundreds of manufacturers products. What’s easier to fix? One software company sorting out true backward compatibility, or hundreds of other manufacturers trying to write drivers/firmware for several/many products in their current and legacy models?

Clearly the one OS company should ensure that backward compatibility.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. Which sound card do you recommend?

NI Traktor Audio 6. You can find them used for around $150 and up. Reverb always has a few.

2 Likes

Yeah as Steve said above, or for something newer the Reloop Flux, I’ve got one and it’s awesome

2 Likes

macOS isn’t Windows. macOS’ Core Audio drivers sink their teeth deep into the OS. They were old and needed updating. Sierra introduced those new drivers and now every device can work with Macs from 2016 and onward. Denon knew this before hand and they could have updated their firmware but they didn’t so it’s on them. Don’t get me wrong, Apple has done plenty to T me off.

And if you have an older Mac you can still install El Capitan for free and use those old Denon mixers. I did that for a year and it worked perfectly.

What about Traktor Audio 8? Does it work well between DN-X600 and Traktor Pro 3 (macOS 14 Sonoma)

Would not recommend: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000334278-Operation-of-NI-Legacy-Hardware-Devices-on-macOS-10-12-10-14

If I were you, I would get used Audio 6 or 10 mk2 since they work on newer macOS or pay a bit more for Reloop Flux.

Or, and this is a radical solution, just use a win laptop that does not have these problems.

1 Like

I) Many people don’t want to spend many hundreds on a Windows laptop just to use a nearly decade-old mixer or audio interface when you can grab a used Traktor 6 for ~$150, but that’s up to OP, of course 2) Many Mac users would rather not use Windows at all if they can avoid it

I bought two used CDJ-350. Those devices works very well with DN-X600 now. No Mac or windows, no audio interface. Old school djing is very fun with old-fashioned gears… :slight_smile:

Very true, head over to the DJ booth thread and see that lots of us also like using old skool gear:)

Show your home DJ booth (Part 1) - General Area / DJ Lounge - Engine DJ Community

1 Like