BPM times in engine prime

@onehp I completely agree with you

This would be a major advantage FOR the competition… knowing what’s coming and how it’s done.

Although pioneer won’t disappear in a week or a month or a year , I think maybe they nexus 2 was their last big interesting innovation release model. Ever !

They have released nothing innovate since nexus 2 four year ago and now we read that they main staff have left pioneer to work for denon.

I’ve never been liker of open source for anything that to matter a lot but the above idea where there is official approved “closed source” version for those professional need. Then an open soursec for they who happy to run like overclocked nodded version, which just is not me

I do not agree with you here @Reese.

In my opinion, if a major DJ brand wants to win the DJ market competition, all they have to do is to release their software as open source. This would give to its users endless possiblities, full potential. The war is over. Just imagine, all the feature requests in this forum, all of them, implemented in the SC500/EnginePrime/X1800 /P4/etc… There is no competition that can reach the same level of development as a group of passionate DJs and programmers distributed all over the globe.

2 Likes

There one catch in using an unofficial software version and that is who will test it? If you have a price of equipment under warranty and you test an unofficial software on it, it may void your warranty and thats a big problem, because we all know that beside the software, the hardware quality control these days is not what it used to be. If you void your warranty by using unofficial software and later you have a hardware failure, it may not be a happy feeling. The only way possible is to send the new developed software version to Denon DJ for testing and approval. There is more on this. What will make the difference between two brands if we “globalise” a software platform? We will end up in the same situation with the present days cars. The only difference between them is the exterior design.

Well, if your statement were true, everybody would use Linux and not Windows or MacOS, wouldn’t they!? And Microsoft is even already a big open source contributer to Linux.

1 Like

People use Windows and MacOS because:

1. It’s what they are used to.
  2. When you buy a computer, it comes with Windows or MacOS preinstalled.
  3. Some software (like Engine Prime) is written for Windows and MacOS, and not for Linux. This prevents people to move to Linux.

If people were used to these three OS alternatives from an early age, and had the opportunity to choose when buying a computer, then things would be different. Notice that in the top500 list of supercomputers, most of them use Linux.

I think open source software is the future of enterprise technology.

There’s a difference between a computer that you can build from the ground up and choose which software to run on it in order to be the “tool” you need it to be and a piece of hi-fi professional audio equipment, the latter being something of value that you like to feel it in your hands, you like to enjoy the audio quality it can provide and you can also use it as a “tool”. For me, at least, a piece of audio equipment is like a rare gem.

I think we should keep this thread “on target” and not get it twistet in to something about Open Source programming. (Its for a thread of its own)

The issue about BPM is something that Denon should (and probably is already) take a real serious look at - and hopefully they will give us the possibilities to correct wrong bpm´s directly on the units also.

That would have closed this thread a LONG time ago…

4 Likes

The thing is, Pioneer already knows “how it’s done”. Especially in the sofware department, they have quite a head start. In terms of hardware and firmware, they also know that the SC5000 is basically a Linux based computer. There’s no secrets there. And surely they can screw a unit apart and look at the components. Also, Denon could open source only parts of the firmware and keep others proprietary.

@Canaris if you use the community drivers and software, you are void of warranty. I think that would impose no real legal issues. Besides, there are lots of examples of open source projects that are properly tested, and commercial projects that aren’t.

Imo, unleashing this beast to the open source community would open up a zillion possibilities and would actually give Denon a unique status that would attract a lot of new users.

2 Likes

Top500 supercomputers… nice nonsense comparison to audio devices. Supercomputers all need a custom OS, so yeah open source would be handy. They don’t want to pay for licensing, only for support, so yeah open source would be handy. Btw, they all run a stable, proven and stripped down Suse or whatever UX version, so your dev contribution will certainly not be in it.

@onehp: If it were all such a brilliant idea, why is RekordBox, Traktor and Serato still closed source?

Back to on-topic.

I would not want to walk into a club DJ booth and have to think of if the Primes there had genuine denon firmwares loaded within side or just open source mash inside _ worse than customed midi mappers

I just open-sourced GitHub - 16pierre/PlzFixEP: For DJs - Import beatgrids from Traktor/Rekordbox to Engine Prime The idea behind this project: import beat grids from Traktor, Rekordbox etc.

There’s still quite a few issues, didn’t have much time and the code is quick and dirty, but the core idea is here - this successfully imports beatgrids on Engine Prime on my laptop (tested on MacOs).

Looks like it fails on players though (they re-analyze the tracks)

Feel free to contribute, I hope we can overcome the beat grid issues together while waiting on a fix on the Denon side :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wowzer …, if you’re going to post your project onto every post which mentions beatgrids? You’ll get bored by the end of next week.

Instead, in a few days why not just make one post in the Engine Prime section, if you haven’t posted this there yet already and see if a moderator will make the post Sticky to stay at the top of the page for a few weeks.

I hope your program is free and works on windows

I hope your program is free and works on windows

Free for sure (open-source), haven’t tested windows though

Wowzer …, if you’re going to post your project onto every post which mentions beatgrids? You’ll get bored by the end of next week.

Cmon, I didn’t spam that much :laughing: , no need for criticism there: I’m just trying to help.

The reason why I’m trying to get visibility on this project is to get contribution from other people : I currently don’t have time to actively fix my code (and it does need fixes for SC5000s), but I believe in the power of open-source.

see if a moderator will make the post Sticky

I doubt Denon would encourage third-party initiatives, let’s hope so :wink: I hope this raises awareness though : I don’t understand why beatgrid imports are not supported by EP yet. It took me literally 30 mins to write the code to parse beatgrids from Rekordbox and Traktor collections… Maybe legal reasons ?

1 Like

Maybe all resources are going to NAMM 2021 (:wink::v:) and the is no time for fix something which is raised for 3 years. Sorry for spam :zipper_mouth_face: but denon you know what to do.

Interesting. I’ll have a look at your project.

I’ve tried to change the BPM in EP no luck someone please share how to do it thanks.

Load a track in Engine Prime, select the Beat Grid options, type in the BPM in the BPM field.

Thanks a million how many of you guys round off your BPMs if they read 88.234 round them off to 88.00 thanks in advance if this has already been discussed please point me to the post I’m a NEWBIE.