BPM times in engine prime

Yes you can fix on the ep software in your pc/mac

Hit the buttom on the right that Looks like a golf tee, or upside down golf tee

You can manually enter the bpm

You know what the problem is?

Beatgridding in EP and Engine OS is inefficient. It is way better to use the gear you are working on to do the gridding than to use a mouse and a keyboard on a laptop. Imagine that you can do all the work with the gear you are using, in realtime, while practising. We live in fast food society so people don’t have the time anymore to even want to take the long road so to speak.

I feel sorry for the newbies who want to get into dj’n and buy the gear just to find out that without experience they will have to work on a prepping to playing ratio of 8 to1. In my opinion the prepping time should have a value of 1 to a playtime ratio 1.5 out of the box.

You can not practise and and work on your music management at the same time while the laptop and the gear you are using don’t really work together in unison in realtime. Going back and forth between the laptop and gear in today’s fast food society has now become a hard sell even for the industry standard.

This is why dj software is held in high regards over conventional dj’n.

2 Likes

You are so wrong! For me preparing the set is very essential. Setting up all hot cues (yes I use a lot of them), loops and selecting the tracks for the event is a very major thing for me and many professionals who play on festivals, bigger events and clubs. I don’t have a problem in using Engine prime. The program works ok for me and I learned to overcome its limitations. If Any newbie wants to try The rules are still like in the old days - these are the rules - play or go home.

About what?

I agree, but what’s wrong with being able to prep and practise at the same time on the actual gear. Why do I have to sit there and point and click to prepare? In traktor or serato (or whatever software floats your boat) can’t you do full spectrum management from the hardware connected to the software?

Engine prime in my opinion should be a “bulk analyzer” and “converter” for massive collection management and transfer. The players should be able to deal with the 5-50 tracks the average person will add to their collection weekly “afterwards”

3 Likes

I’m going to give you another perspective. Oldschool DJ here. Started in the 90’s. Went from vinyl to EARLY CD decks (Denon, BTW) to separate midi controllers with mixer and Traktor, back to “traditional” media players and mixer. During that process, using a software to analyze the music for waveform and BPM and setting the load point (for me, the first kick) is all I need. Very basic use of the database software. I use no other cue points and create loops on the fly. I guess my point is neither of you is “wrong” as just between the 3 of us, we use the hardware and software differently. I’m still waiting to analyze the rest of my collection until the BPM and overall analyzation is improved as I just don’t want to waste the time having to tweak so much in the software.

5 Likes

Exactly. :grin:

Beatgridding is not only for mixing tracks using sync.

You are wrong here.

And here.

Not doing a proper preparation is just being lazy. Also doing preparations on the gear is not a problem. I agree - it’s not flawless but still workable. I am using Engine Prime since it was first out and I don’t have any problems in fast playlist management and preparations. All my tracks are very precisely sorted already on the SSD since I was using traktor and rekordbox. I keep the same scheme in Engine and I am able to fast find any track in my collection and add it to any playlist I need.

It is more the opposite here. As soon as some people see the person behind the gear has a laptop, they think that the laptop is doing all the work (they’re right sometimes, it can, but it doesn’t have to be made to be automix and sync and playlists).

One venue owner a couple of years ago was only taking on regular DJs if they didn’t have a laptop in their bring-in kit

In some of the DJ stores here selling equipment there is a rise in DJs asking for controllers with screens so they can hide their laptop, closed, under their booth or gear all night, and just appear to be DJing on none-laptop gear.

If I bought a “standalone dj system” was, among other things, to get rid of the laptop. I don’t mind to spend time prepping the sets if I can do it on the players. They already have the technological capability to do so, thus, in my opinion, it’s a shame that in 2020 we still need to depend on a laptop to prepare the sets. I want a dj system to be truly standalone, so I can be able to dj just using this system. It’s my opinion, everyone is different and everyone prefers to work in different ways.

1 Like

This is a multi layer sort of comment. It all depends how lazy today’s DJs want to be.

Bouncing all over the hot cues during a set can be done whether the hot cues were set manually by ear, or by super efficient beat grids and hyper accurate BPM detection. The time needed for prep (Manual vs automatic vs hybrid) differs but the end result can be exactly the same

For me is way faster to jump over the timeline of the song, drop hotcues from the keyboard and go to another track. This is way faster on the laptop then on the deck. And my macbook can analyse 1000 tracks in this time in the background without a lag, so it’s more efficient. Player will analyse only one track at the time.

Great to get feedback from you guys but what about rounding BPMs Good to do or Not good to do. How many of you do round thanks in advance.

Depends on the DJ and their style of DJing

If long, long long mixes of tracks mixing together for minutes or hours, then your ideal BPM value will be the more decimal places the better - like 126.28484726264859393746221 BPM

If you mainly scratch, or just cut or chop mix, the bpm is more likely to be a hint to you during the Track selection process, rather than a mixing critical thing, so just rounding everything down to the whole integer number, so like 126.58372618395960605838282 just becomes 127

One could mistaken parsimony for laziness.

Denon looks to be adding infrastructure to engine prime right now with sync manager and they want to have the best bpm detection in the industry so at least workflow will improve for everybody.

3 Likes

Right on …

1 Like

Bpm detection improvement is less important than having bpm modification directly on our devices, and file management too…

Please Denon, that’s not complicated to add theses functionalities.

2 Likes

There should be better bpm algorithm/ability to edit the spaces between the beats on the beatgrid in terms of milliseconds whether the editing is done on the Engine OS(Hardware) or in the Engine Prime software with ability of the edited data synced :arrows_counterclockwise: between the two.

It should be available to do on both the engine prime software and on the players in engine OS

1 Like

Still here in 2020 with the latest firmware and bpm’s are still wrong. Fine in Rekordbox but way out in Engine. Kinda regretting my move from pioneer

2 Likes

BPm detection seems better than it was on older firmwares

Who calls it “BPM time” anyway… ?

Anyone got any tracks where the BPM is a quarter past two?

Anyway, I have to leave now, my train is at 128

:slight_smile:

1 Like