BPM times in engine prime

If I bought a “standalone dj system” was, among other things, to get rid of the laptop. I don’t mind to spend time prepping the sets if I can do it on the players. They already have the technological capability to do so, thus, in my opinion, it’s a shame that in 2020 we still need to depend on a laptop to prepare the sets. I want a dj system to be truly standalone, so I can be able to dj just using this system. It’s my opinion, everyone is different and everyone prefers to work in different ways.

1 Like

This is a multi layer sort of comment. It all depends how lazy today’s DJs want to be.

Bouncing all over the hot cues during a set can be done whether the hot cues were set manually by ear, or by super efficient beat grids and hyper accurate BPM detection. The time needed for prep (Manual vs automatic vs hybrid) differs but the end result can be exactly the same

For me is way faster to jump over the timeline of the song, drop hotcues from the keyboard and go to another track. This is way faster on the laptop then on the deck. And my macbook can analyse 1000 tracks in this time in the background without a lag, so it’s more efficient. Player will analyse only one track at the time.

Great to get feedback from you guys but what about rounding BPMs Good to do or Not good to do. How many of you do round thanks in advance.

Depends on the DJ and their style of DJing

If long, long long mixes of tracks mixing together for minutes or hours, then your ideal BPM value will be the more decimal places the better - like 126.28484726264859393746221 BPM

If you mainly scratch, or just cut or chop mix, the bpm is more likely to be a hint to you during the Track selection process, rather than a mixing critical thing, so just rounding everything down to the whole integer number, so like 126.58372618395960605838282 just becomes 127

One could mistaken parsimony for laziness.

Denon looks to be adding infrastructure to engine prime right now with sync manager and they want to have the best bpm detection in the industry so at least workflow will improve for everybody.

3 Likes

Right on …

1 Like

Bpm detection improvement is less important than having bpm modification directly on our devices, and file management too…

Please Denon, that’s not complicated to add theses functionalities.

2 Likes

There should be better bpm algorithm/ability to edit the spaces between the beats on the beatgrid in terms of milliseconds whether the editing is done on the Engine OS(Hardware) or in the Engine Prime software with ability of the edited data synced :arrows_counterclockwise: between the two.

It should be available to do on both the engine prime software and on the players in engine OS

1 Like

Still here in 2020 with the latest firmware and bpm’s are still wrong. Fine in Rekordbox but way out in Engine. Kinda regretting my move from pioneer

2 Likes

BPm detection seems better than it was on older firmwares

Who calls it “BPM time” anyway… ?

Anyone got any tracks where the BPM is a quarter past two?

Anyway, I have to leave now, my train is at 128

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Pluto :dog2: , this topic was started a long time ago, before denon launched their new BPM algorithm in their Engine Prime software and in their players themselves.

You’re going to have to be much more specific that just saying it’s not working.

Name at least one track that is causing issues, and tell us what the issues are. That way we (and Denon) can try to reproduce and work on a solution if it’s required.

What firmware version are you on?

What Engine Prime computer software are you using?

Is it a track previously analysed or a fresh one in your library?

Did you re-analyse your tracks after the 1.5 updates (assuming you are running software/firmware versions >= 1.5)?

Have you checked if the ID3 tag in the track file has a BPM value in?

Also, a more pleasant tone to those trying to help you wouldn’t go amiss…

1 Like

Dude check my post history - I criticized the heck out of the original BPM algorithm but the 1.5 update is up there with the best of them and for the genres I have in my collection, is even better than competing software.

If you want us to help I’ve provided you with questions, the answers to which will give us more information to work with and help you.

That was about 3 years ago and it’s been actively improved in leaps and bounds ever since.

A lot of other software has been around for over ten years, so newer software is bound to have some catching up to do by comparison. But wow they’re catching up quick, the last couple of updates , especially, have been really significant and show no signs of diluting.

Updated for 2021

EP in the lead here

3 Likes

I am re-analyzing my complete collection last night. an amount of 40k tracks. It took 10 hours for now, and will take another 6 hours to finish. 10 tracks take about 15 seconds to analyze.

Tracks are on the players ssd itself, and is re-analyzed with usb connected and in computer mode.

Could also be a bit speeded up … (hope they will improve the usb driver as well) - when it is plugged externally it is much faster (SATA to USB).

But I have time … Will see how accurate the bpms will be after re-analyzing.

Edit: 13:39 - 6500 files remaining xDDD

1 Like
  • 1 and well articulated! manually BPM expand or contract the beat grid markers direclty on Engine OS!

this crucial!

thanks

2 Likes