BPM times in engine prime

You will be able to use both. If you made any cues in Serato they should transfer over, and your adds/edits made on your 5000’s should be retained.

However, I’m unsure of the impact on any files that you remove from your EP collection and re-add again with your initial Serato import (i.e. Will your loops made with your 5000’s be retained or loss due to the being removed and re-added to your collection).

That makes sense. Thanks again for the information- I believe you’ve helped as much as you can and if I decide to roll with Serato as my management program, I will have to mess around with it myself.

I suppose this boils down to one last thing though…when is the last time a Denon moderator mentioned this issue being fixed? If it’s a month or two I would wait it out, but if it’s going to be another 2 years I can’t wait that long.

2 Likes

The only response you’ll get from a moderator is that the fix is ‘forthcoming’. You’ll never get a definate date (not even a guess-timate). That has been my experience over the years. Their hardware is phenominal but the software/firmware has always been lagging way behind, not allowing for the hardware to reach it’s full potential. I’ve been beaten up so bad on these issues that I’m now somewhat content now to have at least these workarounds in place to make my equipment work close to it’s potential.

At this point, I stop thinking of EP as a music management software. I think of EP as a music migration software used to ready files managed in other software for use with Denon DJ equipment.

5 Likes

we need to have adjustable beat grids on player, expand and contract beat grid not just move forward backwards or double or half .also need more track analysis ,key ,genre ,artist bpm ect when using tidal music streaming service ,you almost have the perfect dj tool if only you could get a few basic rights hope you rectify these problems soon as they take the fun out of mixing and that’s not right .you may as well have no analysis at all and leave it up to the dj that would be better than constantly trying to work out and correct mistakes made by your analysis program

2 Likes

Now there’s a scary thought

Leaving my possibly redundant thoughts here with the very dim hope that Denon sees this bumped thread again and does something soon.

I recently purchased the SC5000s and X1800, excited to try something new after 7+ years working solely with Traktor. Like many others here, I am shocked by just how poor the Engine Prime software really is, particularly with the BPM stored after tracks are analyzed :frowning_face:

I see replies here about BPMs that are all over the place, but is anyone else finding that BPMs are consistently a lower value by almost EXACTLY one BPM? I have yet to find a track that is off by more than one BPM, except for rarely some tracks that are halved or doubled. It’s worth noting that the majority of tracks I play are progressive house and techno.

This issue seems likely to me to be a result of Engine Prime analysis truncating BPMs to the lowest integer (ex. 127.999 will be stored as 127.000) instead of keeping it as a decimal (or at least rounding more appropriately if maintaining decimals after analysis is too much ask for in 2019 :man_shrugging:).

I noticed this “off by exactly one BPM” pattern after several hours of investigating why 15-20% of my tracks had horrible beatgrids, so I started manually going through each track in my library, immediately bumping the BPM up by exactly one if I noticed a slipping beatgrid. Aside from occasionally having to also shift the beatgrid a bit, this ridiculously tedious process did seem to fix my beatgrid issues for every single track.

In regards to possible solutions, obviously the best scenario is that Denon fixes this BPM analysis issue altogether and gets the success rate of analysis up WAY closer to Traktor’s 99%.

Another solution that would work for me personally (since I import everything from Traktor anyways, for the time being) would be an option to tell EP to respect the previously encoded BPM values AFTER analysis.

A third, and very reasonable option, is for the SC5000 to allow users to change the BPM value manually on the fly by touching the BPM value on the screen and allowing an update from a keypad plus decimal input, and/or by enabling shift+jogwheel to precisely expand/contract the grid, and therefore the BPM. This way I would not even care much about proper analysis in EP, because I can do this easily on the fly the first time I play a track. I’m somewhat hopeful that this solution is easy enough to implement given that some beatgrid adjustments are already available on the SC5000.

Anyway, even though I found a short term “solution” to these issues, their prevalence, along with the lack of Denon’s active support, has left me super annoyed and ever so close to ditching Denon for something else. Please, Denon, do SOMETHING to rid of these basic bottlenecks for your incredible hardware!! :crossed_fingers: :pray:

6 Likes

Denon could have already made so much more of an impact on the market if the software was on par with the hardware. I’m sure Denon are hard at work trying to improve the software, unfortunately the time it takes to do this is doing damage to the brand. I really hope there is a solution on it’s way soon.

3 Likes

It would be nice if they would open source the software (both Eninge Prime and firmware) and let the community help improve it. This would be a major advantage to the competition. There could be an official OEM version and a community version without warranty. Because their hardware is so superior to the competition, I feel this could be a game changer.

It would be nice if they would at least open up the database format to allow external analysis of beat grids and such.

2 Likes

@onehp I completely agree with you

This would be a major advantage FOR the competition… knowing what’s coming and how it’s done.

Although pioneer won’t disappear in a week or a month or a year , I think maybe they nexus 2 was their last big interesting innovation release model. Ever !

They have released nothing innovate since nexus 2 four year ago and now we read that they main staff have left pioneer to work for denon.

I’ve never been liker of open source for anything that to matter a lot but the above idea where there is official approved “closed source” version for those professional need. Then an open soursec for they who happy to run like overclocked nodded version, which just is not me

I do not agree with you here @Reese.

In my opinion, if a major DJ brand wants to win the DJ market competition, all they have to do is to release their software as open source. This would give to its users endless possiblities, full potential. The war is over. Just imagine, all the feature requests in this forum, all of them, implemented in the SC500/EnginePrime/X1800 /P4/etc… There is no competition that can reach the same level of development as a group of passionate DJs and programmers distributed all over the globe.

2 Likes

There one catch in using an unofficial software version and that is who will test it? If you have a price of equipment under warranty and you test an unofficial software on it, it may void your warranty and thats a big problem, because we all know that beside the software, the hardware quality control these days is not what it used to be. If you void your warranty by using unofficial software and later you have a hardware failure, it may not be a happy feeling. The only way possible is to send the new developed software version to Denon DJ for testing and approval. There is more on this. What will make the difference between two brands if we “globalise” a software platform? We will end up in the same situation with the present days cars. The only difference between them is the exterior design.

Well, if your statement were true, everybody would use Linux and not Windows or MacOS, wouldn’t they!? And Microsoft is even already a big open source contributer to Linux.

1 Like

People use Windows and MacOS because:

1. It’s what they are used to.
  2. When you buy a computer, it comes with Windows or MacOS preinstalled.
  3. Some software (like Engine Prime) is written for Windows and MacOS, and not for Linux. This prevents people to move to Linux.

If people were used to these three OS alternatives from an early age, and had the opportunity to choose when buying a computer, then things would be different. Notice that in the top500 list of supercomputers, most of them use Linux.

I think open source software is the future of enterprise technology.

There’s a difference between a computer that you can build from the ground up and choose which software to run on it in order to be the “tool” you need it to be and a piece of hi-fi professional audio equipment, the latter being something of value that you like to feel it in your hands, you like to enjoy the audio quality it can provide and you can also use it as a “tool”. For me, at least, a piece of audio equipment is like a rare gem.

I think we should keep this thread “on target” and not get it twistet in to something about Open Source programming. (Its for a thread of its own)

The issue about BPM is something that Denon should (and probably is already) take a real serious look at - and hopefully they will give us the possibilities to correct wrong bpm´s directly on the units also.

That would have closed this thread a LONG time ago…

4 Likes

The thing is, Pioneer already knows “how it’s done”. Especially in the sofware department, they have quite a head start. In terms of hardware and firmware, they also know that the SC5000 is basically a Linux based computer. There’s no secrets there. And surely they can screw a unit apart and look at the components. Also, Denon could open source only parts of the firmware and keep others proprietary.

@Canaris if you use the community drivers and software, you are void of warranty. I think that would impose no real legal issues. Besides, there are lots of examples of open source projects that are properly tested, and commercial projects that aren’t.

Imo, unleashing this beast to the open source community would open up a zillion possibilities and would actually give Denon a unique status that would attract a lot of new users.

2 Likes

Top500 supercomputers… nice nonsense comparison to audio devices. Supercomputers all need a custom OS, so yeah open source would be handy. They don’t want to pay for licensing, only for support, so yeah open source would be handy. Btw, they all run a stable, proven and stripped down Suse or whatever UX version, so your dev contribution will certainly not be in it.

@onehp: If it were all such a brilliant idea, why is RekordBox, Traktor and Serato still closed source?

Back to on-topic.

I would not want to walk into a club DJ booth and have to think of if the Primes there had genuine denon firmwares loaded within side or just open source mash inside _ worse than customed midi mappers