BPM detection problem

What’s the promise? That beat grids will always be 100% perfect? No software is perfect at detecting BPM and applying beat grids.

IMO DJs should not be relying so heavily on what the BPM figure says, or on waveforms or key displays. The priority should be listening to the tracks and confirming that the tracks stay in time.

When I’m DJing, I always listen to the incoming track to make sure it stays in time with the playing one.

Yes I will use the BPM readout as a guide first, setting the incoming deck to the same BPM as the playing one - but then I will listen and confirm, and if it’s not matching, I will adjust it. If this means the BPM readouts don’t match, it doesn’t matter. The important thing is that the tracks are synced.

This should be the basis, the starting point. Readouts, waveforms etc are not essential.

1 Like

No I’m not. IME the detection is accurate enough in most cases.

If I’m playing modern dance music, then most of the time I can set the BPM readouts the same (yes I press the sync button!) and the mix works - but I still listen first, just to confirm things. It’s (IMO) common sense to do so.

I don’t spend hours sat in front of Engine Prime checking that all the grids are aligned, or that all the BPMs are nice round figures. I just play the music and listen to what I’m doing. As Hicks says in Aliens - it’s the only way to be sure.

2 Likes

PK please keep your opinion. Nobody wants you to adopt to another “system” of thinking or acting. But in this topic, we are not discussing such things. We try to figure out what happens, why it happens and how to possibly improve it. If you’re not willing to constructively contribute to that, please refrain from writing any more replies. We will be grateful.

How to manually fix bpm info of a wrongful detection?

where? engine dj desktop or engine dj os (hardware)?

https://community.enginedj.com/t/better-bpm-editing-engine-dj-os/36815?u=mufasa

vote vote vote

denon still pi**es me of. i have to correcrt 50% or more tracks. if the track has 150bpm, engine says it has 149.78 bpm, nice if you net that for quick beat sync. all other like serato and rekorbox do a good job with that, don’t know wthats wrong with the deonon guys. i bought sc6000 and x1850. quality is ok but not good, software is useless and denon is not able to change it.

and almost denon dj is not able so get the firt beat of a track. how hard can that be? if you set the cue point to the secound beat you must see that ther eis something wrong.

the denon dream is cool, but with that pioneer will always be infront.

Very strange… do You have the right settings in the analysis range?

I play tracks with tempos from 150 to 260 and all of them In Engine dj are perfectly spot on.

hey, i use 98-195bpm as at the screenshots. any idea what i can configure better?

All seems to be fine here… How is Your beatgrid looking like?

engineoriginal analyze start:

after 1m 20 sec: i correct from 154.81bpm to 155bpm manual

in april mufasa could recreate that problem.

i changed from rekordbox to a prime 4 last year. had the same problem there. never had that problem with rekordbox or serato before.

1 Like