Auto Mix needed for Engine DJ stand alone controllers

If it’s not already in Engine DJ, can you add a auto mix function to play lists on the stand alone controllers? Something where we can control the fade in / fade out with a smart function that lets Engine DJ know the best time to make the cross fading sound great. Also a shuffle feature on a play list would be very beneficial. This would be useful for things like dinner music at weddings or when we need to step away from our system for grabbing a bit or other needed purposes.

Before I purchased my MixStream Pro Go controller, I used to use a Pioneer controller with DJ Pro AI and that software had smart auto mix that allow me to leave my controller when needed and have the music play and crossfade smoothly at the best locations. The attached screen shot shows the settings that DJ Pro AI has I would love to see in Engine DJ for stand alone controllers.

If these features are already in Engine DJ, please let me know how to access them. I already know that Engine DJ allows me to control how smoothly running a playlist in continuous mode by adjusting how long each transition takes to crossfade but I didn’t see any other settings to allow me to select when Engine DJ will do the crossfading or any of the other settings that’s in DJ Pro AI.

I mostly DJ at family birthday parties for the local South Asian community where I live and also do balloon twisting for the children and I run my system with background music while I do the balloons for the children. Later in the evening I devote all of my time for when the adults dance and it would be great to be able briefly step away from the controller when needed and keep the adult dancing.

Thanks in advance.

auto mix

1 Like

It’s already on the Prime 4 and Prime 4 plus as “play as playlist” - the output can even be routed to specific outputs/speakers.

Other than that, things that negate the need for a human DJ are thankfully kept back to laptops and software DJing, rather than on DJ hardware that can be used without a laptop

2 Likes

Hi Pasha,

Part of what I need is also on the MixStream Pro Go as well but not all of the other settings I would love to see which is shown on the previous screen shot. Engine DJ only has 1 of the settings I need show in this screen shot. It would be nice if they added an Automix tab with all of those Playlist settings that DJ Pro AI has.

I get why you want it but to be honest: Why is everyone so after making themself unnecessary? The more these kind of features are used the faster AI will be able to fully replace a DJ. Combined the flood of DJs nowadays that pure suicide if you ask me.

4 Likes

That vas possible back on dn s3700 and even on dn hs5500, so why not now? Very good feature, for some occasions. That is the reason, why i dont sell them.

Unfortunately I think you’ve bought a model 5 when you really want or feel you really need a model 7 or a model 8.

You’ve bought the deluxe burger when you really were hankering after the T-bone Steak

I don’t mean to sound harsh here but, if you want/need automix, because you can’t mix then practice, prepare yourself, learn, evolve, and fly !!! Pulling off an easy mix can give a true DJ a great feeling of self-worth and value. Pulling off a terrific mix manually … well… you’ll be levitating a metre off the floor with self-esteem, and quite rightly so.

If you want/need automix for background music/cocktail hour and don’t want to stand there manually mixing because you want to be out in the audience, mingling, introducing yourself, taking requests for later then mix a few great background music sessions at home and record them for your own use - you’ll get a real kick out of it, knowing that you did every transition, every mix, every overlayed effect.

Automix is at best, a bland albeit stnc’d crossfade or bar/beat timed fade, with little or no consideration of what each passage of the incoming and outgoing track really consist of. Expect crashed vocals and clashed bass lines - there’s a reason why pro hardware doesn’t have an automix button on standalones. It’s like a NASCAR driver stepping out of the drivers seat and handing the keys to the parking valet seconds before the race is about to begin.

Practice and perform - one of your audience is you.

2 Likes

Hi Pasha,

Yes, I’ve been do both mixing and the occasional automix when I had my Pioneer SL2, but like your idea of making a recording so I know I can mix the recording in and let it play and get my dinner and resume mixing when I finish the food.

… that is ok, then we will go dancing.

On a more serious note: I do not think that AI will replace DJs. Yes, maybe there will be AI clubs and AI radio stations streaming 24 hours 365 days every year, maybe some bars will have AI sound cubes installed that play music all the time, all by themselves …

But one thing that cannot be replaced is the moment when we enter the stage, the tension that is in the air and everywhere. And when the sound begins, we are released. It is magic! When the beat kicks in, it is the moment of redemption.

I love to see charismatic DJs and musicians on stage. While AI may be capable of selecting tracks, compiling playlists, and mixing them flawlessly, it lacks the ability to read the crowd. It doesn’t see the gamers on the dancefloor who will go wild if you drop something from Portal or the theme song from Dragon Ball. AI may still deliver something inspiring, but it lacks the capability for sentiment detection on the dancefloor. It has no attitude. And that is what makes great DJs unique.

A skilled DJ does not just mix tracks, they craft an experience, they connect with the audience, and they respond to the energy in the room. We celebrate the music and the tracks with the audience, together, in a given moment, don’t we? That is also the reason, why copying the set of another DJ does not work, it fails to capture the essence of that moment. LOL, I am so ready for the next party. :smile:

1 Like

Don’t underestimate the power of AI combined with IoT and Smartdevices. Smartdevices know when you’re moving when you’re dancing they know when you’re exhaustet they have your pulse and your oxygen saturation.

On big festivals like Tomorrowland, Ultra Music Festival, Airbeat One and the like only really few people are able to see the DJ anyway. Too many festivals got way to big to get that kind of magic.

1 Like

Dear all,

AI’s future will be exciting and I think, AI is able to support a DJ.

But I hope, AI will never / ever substitute a DJ.

At a Bar / Club / Disco / Event people meet people and I hope not AI will meet AI / Robots.

How will AI instead of an human DJ start the party (when are only a few guests are in), hold fire on the crowd and make them sweat, keep the fire burning and cool down at last? Will AI make a small talk to the guests, if there is a moment available for this?

And will anybody believe that any guest will spend a drink or TIP to AI?

I’m glad to have so much support from IT in beatmatching since 1976 (my first gig), but I don’t wish that any DJ will be substituted by AI. Going out for fun is an human event and imo it should be an human event in future as well.

So let’S embrace the future but take care, not to be subsituted.

Happy beatmatching by hand and brgds BeatMaster

2 Likes

We all hope but AI won’t take over but I have my doubts.

May be it different in other countrys but here in germany Clubs die. Even citys with a population of about 100k don’t neccesary got a club anymore.

My hometown with about 35k people only got 1 small music bar that has room for about 100 people and even that is only full on 2-3 saturdays for 3-4 hrs. Fridays there are like 30-40 people the whole night. The next club is more then 1hr away. We have 6 citys around here with a population of 30k upwards and not one has a club anymore.

You can hardly blame it on AI if clubs are dying, … not yet. :smile:

One of the main reasons is a change in leisure behaviour, going to a club is not as popular now. Other possible reasons are increased costs, for example expenses for the rent and the GEMA, increased regulatory stipulation, complaints of local residents, … and bad management. And sometimes the time of a club is simply over, people move on to other places or activities.