X1800 no input sound

I have 2 sc5000 both are going into the x1800 mixer LINE input with rca cables and I’m not getting any type of signal (LINE is selected). Also both mic input are not getting a signal. I have changed the sc5000 to digital out going into the x1800 digital input now both sc5000 are sending a signal but still none of my line inputs are working

I have tried to hooking up my iPad to the LINE INPUT and still nothing

Please help

This sounds like a failure of the mixer’s audio board. @Anthony_DDJ?

1 Like

Hey @toeknee0628 - Happy to help! Thanks @Reese for the fwd.

Feel free to DM me your information (name, email, and phone number) and I’ll be happy to get you connect with a technical support agent.

1 Like

I am experiencing the same issue, now for the second time after being sent in for service, when the mixer appeared to be working fine during bench testing. (ugh)

Full history / problem I’m experiencing:

Have had this SC5000 + X1800 setup since 2018, has performed flawlessly for a couple hundred events until early November 2021. I was mixing normally (at home, not a live gig thank god) and out of nowhere, no sound. All units have been wired in a roadcase setup for 2.5 years at this point, no wrong inputs, no switches accidentally hit, everything tight - audio just stopped. The decks continue to play, and the mixer is even illuminating the decks’ LED rings when the channel or crossfader is open, but no audio or any sign of life on the mixer’s input strip LEDs. I tried a standard RCA cable with an ipod, couple of other audio input sources - nothing. So I contacted Denon tech support and was provided a list of authorized service centers since the unit is now out of warranty.

Sent the mixer to Audio Design & Service in Burbank CA, where they had no issues on the bench test. Not being able to replicate my issue they said they would open it to make sure all connections were properly seated, found nothing. Got the mixer back, just started doing a set to mess around at home here, and after about 30 minutes, lo and behold in the middle of a song that’s playing - silence. (Silence then broken by loud cursing.)

The mixer was updated to latest firmware a few months back, but I had played 12-13 weddings since that time without any issue before this first happened so I can’t say for sure there’s blame there.

Any help, ideas? Anyone? I’m dead in the water here and obviously not sending it back out again to throw away another $200.

Hey @djStrict - Sorry to hear you’re still having issues. It would be helpful if you could replicate the issue and share this with the service center. At any rate, does this issue happen with a particular set of songs? Perhaps a cable needs to be replaced?

@Anthony_DDJ Thank you for the prompt response. I’ll reach out to the technicians again but seeing as they found no problem the first time I thought I’d invest a little more time in seeking out users who may have any experience with the same issue. I’m just hesitant to spend the money to ship this back across the country with no resolution.

As for your suggestions / ideas, I appreciate it, though these simple fixes don’t quite fit the troubleshoot. Re: specific songs, though this would likely point to something with the decks themselves vs the mixer, my initial instinct was to test different hardrives anyway, even an analog source through different channel inputs. There’s just no audio signal present across the whole board. Your mention of cables, same thing; it just doesn’t make the logistics of this question mark unfortunately. But again, I appreciate it.

I’ve included a video to show what’s happening - I’m open to ANY other ideas, theories, suggestions you or any users may have!

-Dave

Thanks for the clarification Dave. Let me discuss with the team and see if we can provide any advice.

1 Like

Hello @Anthony_DDJ , curious if you were able to find any further information on what might cause this issue. Thank you.

Let’s proceed here for now.

Did you test the digital connections already?

Thank you @Reese . As a follow up since my post here, the mixer started working again, without being moved, rewired, etc. It stopped working about 30 minutes after coming back from repair, left it exactly where I had it set up, nothing upon power on/off attempt for a few days… then all of a sudden works again.

It just kills me that this has happened twice now and then seemingly gone back to working properly, all on its own and without explanation. Makes me extremely nervous about something happening in the middle of a gig; to the point that I’m leaving my entire Prime rig at home this weekend and using my MCX8000 for a wedding. I just can’t take the chance, and that’s a shame because I absolutely love spinning on my Prime decks.

Agreed, but like stated, try the digital connections. My X1800 had an analog board failure in the beginning as well and I didn’t notice it at first, until connecting pure analog devices.

In essence, you have a backup when analog fails. You can use the RCA cables provided as it is a short distance.

Interesting. So hypothetically, if the analog board were the problem, say I was in the middle of a gig and the issue unexpectedly occurred again, I could simply move the RCA cables to the digital inputs of their corresponding channel and could potentially be back in action? Of course I’d love for this to happen while I’m at home so I could test it out in a safer environment… I’m thinking of even putting it in my van for a bit to see if the bumps of the road have any effect. (seriously)

Thanks again for the prompt and detailed response, greatly appreciated.

Yes, on the player and on the mixer using one RCA plug of the pair. And change the input source of course.

I presume if it happens, this happens on all channels and players or not? Complete analog audio failure.

Could be bumps if the grounding is the issue, indeed.

@Reese Yes, all channels when it happens. 4 channels plus mic inputs. Tested an outside source (ipod on a 1/8"-RCA cable) through the analog inputs, nada. Never tested the digital inputs when this happened so that’s a great question. Out of curiousity… if it is a grounding issue, is that something that could be serviced by someone with technical experience, (ie: a single loose cable from the circuit board) or is that something more buried inside the unit?

Okay, sounds like an all analog problem.

I think it could be, but I don’t know how exactly. I also don’t know if the audio board is simply misbehaving. Then it would be a PCB replacement.

Hey @djStrict -

Probably best to connect you with a technical support agent at this point. Have you created a ticket for this yet? If not, you can send me your email and phone number via DM and we can get one started.

Hey @Anthony_DDJ my apologies for the delayed response, I appreciate you following up. Shooting you a DM now.

Good morning @Reese & @Anthony_DDJ

So a bit of good news about my bad news to report. I added a couple of steps into my troubleshooting and was able to isolate the problem to some degree. As previously mentioned, the mixer stopped putting out audio unexpectedly, and then worked again / didn’t work again / worked again after traveling across the country for service. A few days ago I put the mixer by itself in the trunk of my car, and just rode around with it back there for a few days. (Do your thing, New England winter potholes!) Sure enough, when I brought it just now and hooked everything back up - no audio. Okay, next step: with the issue finally replicated, I tried the digital inputs and ah-HA! We’ve got audio. So based on what you’ve mentioned thus far, I would have to guess the problem lies in my analog board. I just left a voicemail with Sebastian as he had emailed me with a case #2007955, but I wanted to follow up here as well for the sake of documenting and anyone else who may need to look up these symptoms. @Reese you mentioned you had to have an analog board replaced in your unit at one point - did that correct everything going forward? Thank you.

2 Likes

Yes it did. They needed to wait for parts, but all is well now.

That’s why my question was if the digital audio still worked.

2 Likes

Hi, I have the EXACT same issue with my x1800 suddenly.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Were you able to find a service center that was able to replace your analog board?

2. The digital ins on mine work, but don’t seem to feed into the channels or faders, is that normal for digital ins?