Wireless Microphone Issue

Half this topic is about the mc7000 , but is in the prime 4 section

The original post and topic, regarding the Prime 4, ends up referring back to the only known thread with the exact two same components - a wireless microphone and a Denon controller. The MC7000 post was so spot on it was copied and referred to. Apples and apples.

DJDoubleK - Thanks for your input - kind of glad it’s not just me. I just hope I’m not doing or missing something, too.

@JWiLL - I agree with the microphone gate signal. I didn’t know there was such a thing or how it works, but that sounds extremely accurate. I personally am not using any inline attenuators. In the Prime 4 settings, I believe the line attenuation is at +3% on both mic inputs, I think it’s the default setting. I haven’t altered it.

I was using a couple different models of Shure. I, also, used the BLX’s, and PGX4’s, with SM58 handhelds originally, thought that was the problem, then upgraded and I’m currently using Shure QLXD24 with a SM58 handheld. I haven’t tried a lavalier mic yet with the P4. Again, a wired SM58 mic works flawlessly from the booth.

The QLXD was the only system I tried (or could?) adjust the output gain on. I went everywhere from -4 to +20 with the same issues. Without changing the gain or anything, it worked perfectly when changing the setup on the fly and going into the Prime 4 as a line 4 input, from a Rane microphone mixer.

Hopefully that info can help somehow.

Yeah, it seems they dug up an older post from a similar problem I had with my MC7000. Maybe we’ll get it sorted out, regardless of the model. I had my MC7000 for awhile before the issue started to occur. I lost trust and ended up in the Pioneer camp (and I didn’t/still don’t want to be there). You never know when/if it could happen to you, and when it does, it’s nice to have people talking about it. I got nowhere a year ago, so I’m hoping we’ll draw some attention with others having the same issue.

I use a wireless Sure Beta 58 microphone with a Shure SLX4 receiver and a wired Shure SM58 micorphone. Never an issue with any of my other Denon products (and I have had a ton…huge fan with quite the investment). They both sound just fine on the DDJ-1000. I went about a year on the MC7000 unit before this started to occur. Same mic setup, with the exception of running the Sennheiser Evolution lav mics for ceremonies. The first post of this thread is spot on. That’s how I noticed it…in a toast with the Beta 58. It was like every other word was muted. I can take the wired SM58 and hold it away from my mouth a little to far as well and get the exact same issue, so it’s not related to wireless. When you “emcee” into the mic, it sounds fine, so I’m sure not everyone notices this issue. I’m honestly glad this got resurrected. I’d LOVE for Denon to figure this out, as I love my MC7000 and my DDJ-1000 is “just ok”.

I have now tested with my SM58 microphone and if you have people talking with low voice the gate kicks in and words are lost. And I have not found any settings for this in the Prime 4. It would be nice to set the gate level or turn it off.

2 Likes

Does turning up the gain on the mic output not help with this?

As the post(s) have stated, turning everything up, down, or in the middle doesn’t help. Like the last poster stated, it cuts out when the mic is either too far from the person’s mouth or they talk quietly. Even if a gain was up on the mic level, there would still be a point where the cutout happens - an even quieter person, even further away from the mouth. Instead of being barely audible, or fading out the further away or quieter the person is, it just flat cuts out at a certain level, or gate setting. @JWiLL - can or is this being looked into, have you found anything out? I just don’t want this thread to die like the guys with the MC7000 thread last year.

Hi Guys,

Yes, this is being looked into. It doesn’t happen with all mics so to provide a solution to all, we are looking into adding a Microphone gate threshold setting (slider bar) to the utility menu. I have also recommended this same solution for the MC7000.

6 Likes

I have the same bad experience from last weekend. My first gig with the Prime 4. I´m on a current version 1.3.2. They borrowed a microphone from me for speech and it was awful. It looks like some microphone gate which is active when somebody not speaking directly into the mic or speaking with the low voice then the words are lost.
For me it is absolutely unusable in a wedding or ball ceremonies. I tried different 3 mics but unfortunately with the same result. My current setup is DJM 900nexus and CDJ 2000nexus but I never had problem with mics. I really love Denon Prime 4 but with this issue I will have to return the unit back. Is it possible fix it with new firmware in the future or it’s a hardware issue?

1 Like

From denons end the soloution would be to switch off the mic gate when talkover option is switched off, in a future firmware update

In the meantime for those people who have mics affected by this, who have to lend mics out to inexperienced mic users then an adaptor or mic mixer allowing a spare mic to be plugged into the line level inputs on channels 1 to 4 would work around this , as the music channels presumably don’t have low input gates

The problem exists with the industry standard leaded Shure SM58. It is totally unusable as it is. Hope there is a fix soon as I have had this since the day of it’s launch and have still not used it on the road.

A £20 mini mixer like a little Alto would let you connect microphone level sources like corded mics or radio mic receiver outputs to the rca inputs on one of the music input channels.

I know you shouldn’t have to buy an additional bit, and probably you won’t have to in a few firmware releases, but if it’s the difference between leaving the whole thing at home, or taking it out , go for it

Hi @kuris,

Sorry to hear you had trouble with your microphones on the PRIME 4. I can confirm that we will a controllable preference for the Microphone Gate Threshold in the near future.

Could you tell me which microphone systems you had difficulty with?

Does this system have a controllable attenuation or level? If so, try increasing the level to see if that helps.

@NewburyDJ Sorry to hear of your difficulties! Are you saying you have issues with a corded SM58 mic or are you using a wireless system with SM58 capsule? Is it possible to record a video of the issue you are experiencing?

Hi.Yes wired Shure SM58 Mic, not radio mic. I will see what I can do Re video. Issue is the same as reported with radio mic, cutting out have tried all settings but still get the same results. Lower mic levels (normal operating Level) flickering green light and cutting out turn it up and feedback

i have experience with mc4000, mc7000 and prime 4. when running a wireless mic setup (various shure) the results are bad if you plug them into the mic input. we haven’t figured out how to set it up correctly so we bring a separate outboard mixer and run denon + mics into that.

Bizarre. I run Shure and Sennheiser wireless systems through all of my Prime gear without any problems at all.

2 Likes

It is strange. I’ve tested Shure BLX4R (wireless SM58 capsule) and Sennheiser e835 (wired) on two different PRIME 4 units, one running 1.3.2 and the other on 1.4 beta, both without issue. Mixer Attenuation set to -3dB and Volume pot set to max on BLX4R receiver.

To verify, I recorded the audio output and amplified the waveform to inspect for missing data. The only time I saw missing data was when the Sennheiser e835 was about 2ft away from my mouth which is expected. This is the gate kicking in to block out unwanted background noise.

There is something we’re missing here that is causing this for some but not others.

1 Like

last night i was using a wired sm58 and that wasn’t right either. i would say that the mic channel is overly sensitive and has really limited dynamic range.

Could you elaborate on “wasn’t right either”?

There is Mic Attenuation control within the Utility Menu if you find the microphone too sensitive.

As far as your dynamic range comment, what is your application singing or speaking? Why do you describe the range as limited?

If there are ways we can improve, we’re happy to investigate but need to better understand your comments.

Thanks!