[Win10 & Audacity] X1800 Simple USB Recording Solution

Devices & Versions

• x1800 v1.2
  • SC500 v1.4.1
  • Audacity 2.3.3
  • Win 10 Pro - 19093 18362.720

x1800 Setup

1. Utility -> Advanced Audio -> Sampling Rate -> Set to 44.1hz (& accept prompt) (1)
  2. (Back) -> USB Audio -> Assing / Check each channel CH1-4 to its standard output (CH1 -> 1/2, CH2 -> 3/4, CH3 -> 5/6, CH4 -> 7/8; if you have never changed these settings they should already be configured this way)

PC Setup

1. (Connect devices with a USB A/B Cable)
  2. Go to the “old” Windows Sound Settings (either one of THESE methods will work)
  3. Recording -> Select Denon Multichannel Device -> Advanced -> Default Format -> Select 10 Channel 16bit 44.1hz (1)
  4. Start / Restart Audacity -> Select Windows WASAPI, Multichannel Device, 10 Channels (2)

And you are ready to go!

Comments

• Play around with Audacity’s recording level and the x1800 “Master Output Level” as well as each channels Level Control in order to get the mix that you want. I haven’t recorded much with this method since I literally discovered this within the last hour but I’m sure there are multiple ways to adjust channel levels in audacity even after recording (maybe this might help with further info).
  • If you need any help or have feedback for me, please feel free to leave it below. I was looking for a way to share my sessions or even stream them since we all have more time on our hands atm so I thought sharing this might help someone else in the same situation.

Footnotes

• (1) 24bit seems to work as well for me but puts more load on my cpu, 32bit laggs too much for me just as higher HZ settings; theoretically all HZ settings should work as long as they are identical on both Windows Recording [PC.3] and Mixer Sampling Rate [X18.1] settings.

• (2) Output device doesn’t seem to matter; in my tests Windows was only able to display the first two channels since my output playback devices are all in stereo - don’t worry it’s still recording everything anyway.

Stay Safe & Enjoy! Cheers.

2 Likes

Thank for the steps. I hope it will help some users.

Never had issues recording from the X1800. Even with an iPhone. The major problems are down to the used recording apps. OBS mostly, but Audacity also.

See here for an Audacity solution:

Of course.

I’m sure it’s down to how the recording device / app handles the input settings. In general, if you have recording issues manually syncing input and output settings between devices might resolve it.

On windows, it seems that part of the problem comes from a lack of access rights for the system audio settings but I haven’t been able to confirm that yet - trying some of the settings I listed in Audacity first didn’t resolve my previous issues, but it did on a system level.

I received the mentioned Error 9999 as well during my testing but only when forcing the default audio devices in the system settings to any of the mixer inputs without the prior frequency sync. I later discovered that setting the default audio device isn’t necessary since the communication problems only seem to revolve around sampling rate, channels and frequency.

Maybe there’s a way, with the X1800 Prime Panel software, to further “force sync”/override those variables for the multichannel input device so this manual step wouldn’t be necessary?

Sample rate difference shouldn’t really matter. The problem you would get is a recording sounding slower or faster when played back eventually. Depends a bit on the software and how it handles the input.

Your steps should be fine for the majority, so really good stuff, but sometimes people still get weird issues and blame it on the mixer.

I vote for getting more of this in a manual, but for now it’s scattered around the forum.

Interesting. Thank you for that feedback. Sapling rate seemed to be important in solving my problem at least. But I can’t judge on its actual because I don’t know what half of my solution is the more important one.

I definitely thought it to be an issue on the mixer side before this. Now it’s clear to me that it is an issue of translation and if there is a solution that can be systematically implemented, that should always be a priority until the recording feature is integratable in the system without the need of an external recording device. Is that a feature actually in the works or not a priority at all?