Why smaller waves? (Had to fall back to 1.4)

Dear mr. Denon… but why, why, why you had to change the graphic and make so smaller the tracks at the top? It was perfect before! My eyes are not so good so now I really have to make an effort to see the details of those small tracks up there… I mean, no problem, I brought back the previous version in order to not behave like a mr magoo, but I just want to know the reason why you had to complicate the life of your users like this. Why? Making taller the wave below did not really brought any real improvement… I mean, is just taller, not that there are any more details now. Anyway, to me (and I guess all your poor-sight user) that is kind of incredible. Thank you Fra

5 Likes

100% agreed, the larger waveform is not needed and now the track info is tiny which is harder for me to read. If the track info was placed/replicated into the jog displays it would make sense.

When enabling 4 decks the main waveforms shrink (but still only 2 not 4) the track info for all 4 decks is then the same style in as 2 deck mode which makes sense in this mode.

Can we have the older layout back when just 2 decks are enabled for prime playback or push that info into the jog display please? I use decks 3/4 for my turntables.

2 Likes

In fact is what I think has left everyone perplexed. Zoom in on the waveform for what? is there an underlying reason we don’t know? It is not a question of being “never happy” but it is that certain things we cannot explain to ourselves. The information above the wave is just small. If there was a way to make them bigger or smaller as you like, that would be great.

It’s very odd. Some people are saying the waveforms are now too big and that the track info is written in too small a font. At the same time other people are saying the waveforms are too small.

I can see that denon are going to have to add 15 different views of the main screen and let owners pick the slightly slightly bigger this with the slightly slightly smaller that.

Or on future models have four HDMI outs for separate monitor/tv screens. One screen just for waveform layer A, one screen just for waveform layer b, one screen for library searches, one screen for the playing artists and titles lol

But then you end up with mostly low-quality skins… like the vast majority of those available for VDJ :wink:

2 Likes

They have thus standardized the GUI of Prime 4 and SC6000 (with the new two-layer display). The difference is that the SC6000 also displays the CUE / LOOP names and other small differences. While the Prime 4 when there are 3 or 4 decks in use, the two waveforms return to being normal size.

IMO, since they have standardized the GUI it was as well to display in Prime 4 the same things that the SC6000 displays, when it is in 2 deck mode: compare the two GUIs and you will understand what I mean.

1 Like

VDJ skins low quality? That’s funny! :laughing:

With the Prime 4 GUI, it’s the large scrolling waveforms at the bottom that are too large. The comment from frafer above is referring to the subsequent reduction size of the deck waveforms.

I don’t see why Denon couldn’t simply add a new view rather than replace the old one. Give us the choice.

EngineOS is basically software running on a computer, so storing a few different skin options shouldn’t be a problem IMO.

I thought about having a switchable full screen “single deck” view on the P4 like the SC players. I think it would be useful sometimes, to display more info.

1 Like

Agreed, we are talking about the deck waveform and the now tiny track info. I understand why it has been done but it has reduced the usability for me. The bottom waveforms were large enough

When you’ve finished fellating VDJ (I also noticed you did this in another thread as well…) you might like to read what I actually wrote.

I said the vast majority of skins are poor quality, which they are, most just look utterly disgusting. There are a few diamonds mixed in I’m sure, but those are the exception, not the rule.

1 Like

You call it fellating. I call it defending excellent software against unjustified criticism.

I strongly disagree. The look of VDJ skins generally now is excellent. Skins always used to require bitmap graphics, but now they can use vector graphics, so stay sharp at any resolution.

Certainly not what could be described as “utterly disgusting”.

I think maybe you’re thinking of (or referring to) the very old skins from V6, V5 and back, some of which were admittedly a little wacky. Or maybe you fellate over Serato, Traktor or Rekordbox - well if needs must, then VDJ can be made to look like any of those too. Design your own skin.

Maybe you should provide an example of a current VDJ skin that is “utterly disgusting”, so we can get other people’s opinions too.

There was a thread like this, I think on the 1.6 beta forum, unfortunately it only got like 3 replies, mine being one of them. I really don’t like the new horizontal layout. The only reason I can think of why they have done it is so the left deck is on the left, the right deck on the right, which sounds good. But if it means the waveform is squished to 50% of its size before 1.6 (and all the other issues) it’s really not a good change.

1 Like

Hi, just asking : let us the choice. Option 1 with the old horizontal design, Option 2 with the new design and ENORMOUS waves.

Option 3 : a +/- zoom like in Engine software.

2 Likes

100% agree really dislike the new layout having the huge waveforms and tiny track view is just not user friendly.

I reluctantly will be moving back to the older version which is a shame as I like the new Dropbox and track preview features but not enough to deal with the terrible new layout

in fact it is quite frustrating this thing, and what seems strangest to me is that they did not notice it while they gave the green light to this update. Do you want them (the development team) not to ask themselves this question? They must have thought that all DJs have an eagle view. The fact remains, however, that fortunately all the rest of the update is TOP

2 Likes

Comparing the look of the GUI on the SC players, with their new dual wave view, it looks as if the change to the Prime 4 (and probably 2 & Go) screen is to give them all the same appearance.

2 Likes

@PKtheDJ Well, I see that you are of the same opinion as me.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to revert back to firmware version 1.5.2?

1.6 is really anoying me

Thanks

If you want to go back just for the question of waveform display, in my opinion you are wrong: there are some very useful new functions (pre-listening, reloop, fixed problem on ROLL FX2, etc).

However to go back you can use the same procedure you used to load the new 1.6. The only difference is that you will need to use the package for 1.5.2.

I agree there are definetly some great new features i do like the dropbox intregration and pre-listening but would be prepared to lose them so i can get the old view back i know everone is different in regards to whats important to them but my eyesight aint the best and the previous version worked better for me personally.

Do you know where i can get version 1.5.2 it doesnt seem to be avaliable on the downloads section of the Denon DJ site?

Yes, I saw that it has been temporarily removed. But I think they will restore the download also because it is useful to be able to go back to an old firmware. Always assuming that there is not a technical problem in downgrading to a previous version starting from 1.6.

I have a copy of 1.5.2 (and previous ones), because I always keep a copy for safety, but first we need to understand why they have removed the old versions from the site.

1 Like