Why is my Record Level so low

Second time asking this question looking for any help. How to i increase my record volume. For example I use a Numark DJgo2 when i travel. i don’t have to turn the Record level pass 12ock in Serato. On my Denon Mc 7000 in Serato I have to turn it all the way up as far as it will go, and its still noticeably lower. Im using a 2013 MacBook pro, running sierra. I keep my master and channel level in the 12ock position. i make sure the track is not clipping the red. I appreciate any and all help.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Recording Channel 5/6 like it says. I use a windows setup. Tried different computers. Both with very low output when recording. Upgraded firmware, same problem. Need help!

Dear Friends…

The fact that the volume is too low, isn’t directly a bad thing here. You have to know that each recording needs to have some ‘headroom’ to be sure the recording audio-signal isn’t ‘clipping’ over the 0db level…

Clipping results in distorted sound, you’ll try to avoid this (if distortion is needed you apply the effect to the audio signal in it’s clearest form for full control)

So the fact that it gives us a very low level is a good thing… meaning:

1. If your signal is quieter than wanted, no worries, just turn the volume up (increasing volume won’t affect the quality of your audio signal)

2. If your audio signal was too loud while recording… it probably would’ve clipped, giving a distorted signal.

Bottom line: It’s a good thing the levels are lower, pure for the audio quality reasons!

This all being said… There are ways you can adjust the audio level of your audio clips. By “NORMALIZING”.

There are 2 free software apps that you can use to “NORMALIZE” the audio clip. (meaning, it will take the loudest audio peak/signal of your audio clip (or selection in that clip), and increases the overal audio volume level of that clip untill the loudest peak comes near the 0db level)

Free apps that many of us use are Audacity or Ocen Audio Youtube has loads of insight on the matter of normalizing audioclips with software like these.

Bottomline2 the Recording WAV you made is NOT the final file you use to share. It’s the cleanest & safest version of your mix that needs to undergo some small edits before you let it loose upon us.

I hope you understand it a bit now.

Regards Nico

The record volume was fine up until I recently updated serato and now it’s super low. I haven’t actually checked how low it comes out on other software yet (I always normalise my recordings in a daw) but I can barely light up the yellow section of the meter when recording vinyl and can’t get into the yellows when recording serato (yes, vinyl is louder for some reason)

As others have said, it’s certainly better to have headroom than to have digital clipping but yes, it is very low. In the old days you needed a loud signal because of the noise floor of analogue gear and lower recording bitrates, but recording digitally at 24bit is different.

You could try uninstalling serato and installing an older version to see if that’s louder (I recently went back to 1.9.something, before it had the pro name, that was louder)

I am back on the latest version, it’s not the biggest issue I have tbh.

Tbh serato seems to do some very bizarre things with volumes, I’m not sure if this is the same for every controller or just the Denon (as I don’t have anything else to compare it with now)

1 Like

It’s easy to fix the result, I can imagine peeps want to plug out the usb-drive where the session is recorded on and directly upload it or rock it again on the car-sound-system heading to work… But in a professional setting you just need to clean up your session before unleashing it upon the masses…

The explained normalizing procedure has -as for as i can remember- always been the following step after i recorded a session… it’s a needed step peeps really need to take in account before the session will be uploaded. I can’t stress this enough to be honest. This procedure really gives you full control over the overall waveform & dynamics through the whole session. (you can adjust faulty volume parts in transitions by de-/increasing levels)

It’s like when a producer completes his track/project, he bounces it to a .wav/.flac. with … you know it by now… ENOUGH HEADROOM… from that point on it goes to a mastering process (mastering for vinyl / streaming / digital release (all different dynamics to keep in mind here) it’s kind of the same idea with our recorded session here too…

Normalising a recording of already mastered music, and mastering for release are not the same thing. There is also a difference between choosing to not risk clipping by correct use of the levels and being totally unable to get anywhere near typical levels due to the limitations of your set up lol