What is the purpose behind duplicating collection tracks when device plugged in?

I have my main EP collection on my HDD. When i plug an engine prime USB into my laptop, the collection shows duplicates - basically all of the tracks on my HDD & the tracks that i previously exported onto the USB.

What is the point of this? it makes a mess of my collection view and provides no obvious value.

The user experience for syncing to USB is very troublesome (crate drag & drop goes to wrong parent crate etc), and i have gone back to Rekordbox until this software improves.

Any insight on why the software behaves like this would be welcomed.

9 Likes

StereoHead, You’re not the first person to make this observation. We’re working on improving this and further separating out local and ejectable drive collections.

10 Likes

that’s good to know. thanks for the update :sunglasses:

Any update on this? This is my single biggest issue with Engine and seems like it should be relatively straightforward to fix!

2 Likes

Still not addressed…

So its not really a fix, but more or less something i’ve noticed about the duplicates, they are not actually duplicates, I mean the data and the songs are the same, but there is a distinction. in the tags, there is a tag named “Packed” I’'m not going to assume I know what it means even tho i think I may have an idea, but that is one difference I’ve noticed so far, so I just sort by that tag and select the dupes, right click and remove them from crate, i’m afraid to remove from collection as that could prove a real and true pain if they in fact are different instances of the same file. Yikes! But all in all, I’m getting used to EP and as long as i keep to my standard workflow it seems to work fine, so I’m absolutely loving my Prime 4 these days.

Yes, it’s all explained in the manual.

its now May 2021 and this still seems to happen.