Weird Drag n Drop Audio Files issue

When you drag and drop audio files from your Mac to the Engine Software and export to a USB flash Drive all the files are there. When I delete the files on my MacBook Pro and start engine DJ alll the files are missing. If you insert the Flash Drive all the files are there but still missing in Engine DJ. If you delete the Engine DJ library folder located : music\engine library\ and restart the app all the files are there. Can someone tell what’s going and why is this ? In 1.6.9 it worked with no issues. All tracks where on both flash drive and in the software.

That’s expected behavior, if you delete the files from your computer drive after you have added same files to your Engine Library then it should show as missing (red)

Mind if I ask, why do you delete the files from computer?

Think of Engine DJ desktop software as a video rental business eg Blockbuster and they keep a master copy of the movie ie the files on your computer

Now think of the USB export as someone borrowing a copy of the movie.

Mud? Clear?

Hi, I delete the files because I don’t want them on my internal HD. I’ve done this before and have files from another external drive that shows up. This drive was used before the upgrade to 2.0 and it worked fine. I don’t want to keep files on the USB flash drive if they are already in the Engine Library, that’s duplicate files. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hey @Reese and @NoiseRiser

Perhaps y’all can help

@DimperialDj this is how all DJ Library softwares work.

firstly populate them with files from either the computers internal or external drive

One then analyse, set hot cues, loops, tags etc

Then one exports to the performance drive (usb stick)

Keeping only one set of files (on hard drive or on usb) is dangerous. If one of these drives fail, you lose it without any option to get it back. If You don’t want to keep the files on Your computer, use external hard drive (usb external drive).

I keep my music in 3 places (just in case).

1. My computers
  2. External storage (Home server and usb drives)
  3. Usb thumb drives and sd cards for performance.

If something goes wrong, I have a backup.

Engine Prime (or now Engine dj) needs a stationary library for proper work. As @mufasa explained, Engine will export from the Master library, that would be on your computer or detachable hard drive. Export goes to the performance drive, that you use to play on Your decks.

1 Like

Got it… I’ll just start exporting them to the external drive that I use for back and go from there. Thanks guys !!!

For me, until a server location can be used for the master collection, my master is on the internal SSD of the SC6000. Of course taking regular backups of that drive to my server, but I don’t use sync/export yet in the way it’s supposed to.

1 Like

That’s expert level of library management.

Thought I’d keep it simple :ok_hand:t5:

@DimperialDj have a look at this video

1 Like

I keep my tracks in a folder from the local C drive of my laptop. The reason for this is Onedrive and other mirroring software will try to sync your user folders each time files change. Good for backup, bad for performance. I backup my entire laptop once a week via disk image.

1 Like