Volume of Tracks when analyzing

Oh sure! on basic controlers/entry level gear, autogain is a welcome feature. On ‘pro level’ gear, I doubt many user would enable it.

I can’t go eat dinner if i bring my prime 4 because i cannot trust a playlist to play with consistent volume track to track. It is a very big deal for wedding and event djs.

Obviously I’m talking about autogain ‘on players’

Autogain in prep software is a welcome adition, I personally would not use it - but is a cool feature to have.

Sure was sounding like you were against it :slight_smile: Glad you can appreciate its uses.

Pathetic that i’m literally better off plugging in a spotify list on my phone than i am using quality DJ hardware playing high quality files from a hard drive. The zone output in particular isn’t very useful because it’s supposed to be a set it and forget it type feature. But if you have been buying music for decades a lot of your older files are not going to be mastered the same as modern tracks and will appear very quiet in comparison to modern files.

And to be clear, we don’t need to to as good of a job as our ears, ears will always be best and i’d be tweaking it on the dance floor. But i need a way to ensure one song isn’t going to play 20db louder than another.

Autogain won’t fix that. Loudness will still be very different. A multiband processor is what you need in that case.

That being said. I have prepared all my tracks to have at least the same volume and leave the loudness of the mastered track intact.

No, I’m not against it - any feature is welcome, I understand some features are useless for club djs, but great to other dj’s, and vice-versa. If you can enable/disable it to suit personal needs, I support it :+1:

It will keep one track from being 20db louder than another one, which is really all that i need for dinner music.

Also lets get specific, all i am asking for is peak based normalization. Take the loudest part of the song and bring it up to 0 dbfs (or what ever threshold you want). save that number as part of the meta data and then apply that much gain to the song.

Like I said. Not a single track in my collection isn’t normalized. Prepare is always my advice.

I’m not against autogain as it helps for volume differences, but the problem is the perceived loudness when playing tracks from a playlist.

I think it would be better to have a VST/AU plugin slot in the Engine DJ desktop software, enabling us to run something like Waves L3-16 Multimaximizer to batch process for those DJs who don’t do / haven’t done this to their collection already.

That’ll give better results than just an “autogain” option.

OTOH for those who may need it kept simple, there’s Platinum Notes.

That’s not a good idea… You’d be running an already encoded mp3 files through the encoder a second time. Making good mp3s sound like bad mp3s.

The more eligant and simple solution is using makeup gain like every bit of dj software has had available for the last decade.

You’re assuming everyone uses MP3s. Not necessarily the case.

Besides, even if the source files do happen to be MP3s (320k of course) then one run through a plugin is not going to turn them into something atrocious.