*** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mode***

Description: Hybrid MIDI mode definition and mapper for the Denon DN-SC3900.

IMPORTANT: To be able to use the active spinning platter, you will need to use Hybrid MIDI mode and a suitable timecode sound card such as the Denon DJ, X600, X1600, X1700 or others.

In normal MIDI mode, the platter is only currently supported for basic song cueing only. It has no function when the song is playing.

Full support for the active platters should be possible in a future version of VirtualDJ 8.

*Requires logon *Set Both Decks MIDI CH 1

Feliciano21 Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod Full support for the active platters should be possible in a future version of VirtualDJ 8. Any idea of the time frame, “future version of VirtualDJ8”?

demsy11 Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:29 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod Late 2012 or 2013?

Feliciano21 Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:03 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod Ok thanks. Just an FYI, I used my X600 as the sound card in hybrid mode and the platter spins but doesn’t control the song playing, it just spins.

Both decks are set up on midi channel 1 Both decks are plugged into my pc Both decks are hooked up into the OS Numark box.

I had the 3700s using VDJ in midi mode and it worked perfectly. The only change I made was the upgrade on the decks.

So basically the deck works with different software but as an independent upgrade by an owner mapping the deck…except the platter…

What software is recommended by the owners of this deck? Rane, Tracktor VDJ?

DENON Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod

Feliciano21 wrote: Both decks are hooked up into the OS Numark box.

Is this a DVS soundcard? Why are you using this instead of the X600 soundcard?

Once you config everything properly, all will work.

BrianSimons Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod Can you please post a list of settings required to have the timecode work well with Virtual DJ?

I have two SC3900s, an X1600, and a really powerful laptop that barely has to work to run everything. I have updated the firmware on both players to 1030, as well as have the latest and greatest of each piece of software/drivers.

I have it all working with Channels 1 & 2 on the x1600 set to DVS. I just can’t get the time code working perfectly, and the signal never looks like the Virtual DJ Timecode Config guide shows it when it’s correct. I’ve tried setting the Frequency on the players to Scratch Live and using the Serato timecode settings in VDJ (all settings actually), I’ve tried setting the frequency to 2000Hz on the players and using the Relative 2000Hz setting in VDJ.

If there is official Support for Virtual DJ, I have to assume someone has it working very well. Please post all of the recommended settings that would correspond to the players, Virtual DJ, ASIO settings, and/or the Denon Mixer.

Thanks, Brian

Once you config everything properly, all will work.

Sorry for the delay in responding. It’s not a DVS soundcard. I have the X600 in DVS mode on both decks. USB from the X600 to my PC, both decks hooked up via USB to my PC, Numark box hooked up via USB to my PC as well.

In the CONFIG section, Sound Setup, I have it set up as follows:

Inputs: Line-Ins Outputs: External Mixer Sound Card: Asio Driver both decks are on MIDI channel 1 ( should one deck be on Channel 1 and the other on Channel 2?)

I tried Inputs as timecodes but that didn’t work…

Play / Cue works, Platter spins but has zero effect, like scratching, back spinning, etc…

If I am better off purchasing Tracktor or Serato in order to use the platter effectively, scratching, back spinning, etc. I will do that but I would like to see an actual setup, like it on the 3700 Hybrid mode setup on this forum. That was extremely helpful.

I used the decks hooked up directly to my mixer with some cds loaded and man, the platter response is just like my 1200s. I am stoked I got a set of them. I loved my 3700s but damn, these 3900s are the business…

DENON Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:01 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod

In order for this to work you MUST select and configure VDJ [Input] to “Timecode”

Feliciano21 Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod Here’s another view, note the settings, I believe they are correct.

cstoll

Ok, lets clarify some of the information in this thread for VirtualDJ. As always - make sure you are using the latest firmware for all units and the latest drivers.

At the time of this post the latest ASIO drivers to be used are the v2.22 drivers for the SC3900 - and should work with the Denon mixers.

demsy11 wrote: Late 2012 or early 2013 That is not an ‘OFFICIAL’ answer. We do not publicize release dates.

BrianSimons wrote: Can you please post a list of settings required to have the timecode work well with Virtual DJ?

Cableing RCA Cabling - Denon SC3900 RCA Outputs to mixer CD Inputs. Must be the CD inputs - not Phono. USB Cables - 1 each from Denon Mixer and SC3900s

Denon Mixers The channel inputs should be set to DVS. Must use mixer Channels 1 & 2 (DX1600/1700)

DX600 - Selector knob turned to DVS.

DX1600/1700

• Selector knobs for Ch. 1 & 2 on USB
  • Change the Input mode of these channels to DVS in the Utility Settings interface. ---- DX1600 - User Manual page 19 ---- DX1700 - User Manual page 17 ------ ** It doesn’t show in the manual, but there is an option for Input Source for the individual channels with the option of DVS that can be selected.

Denon SC3900

• Configuration changes - Go into the Utility mode and change the Hybrid MIDI Freq. to use is the 2KHz option. Not Scratch Live. ** That is the ONLY change that should be made on the SC39000. DO NOT change the MIDI Channel assignments. They should both be on MIDI Ch. 1.

Push the MIDI Button and select the MIDI mode to of Hybrid MIDI.

That is it for the SC3900.

VirtualDJ Configuration(s)

Must use the latest version 7.0.5b (b380) - downloadable from your User Download Center at VirtualDJ.com

Download the Hybrid mapping files here - http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/14910/Denon_DN-SC3900_(Hybrid_MIDI).html – Install the files from the download before opening VirtualDJ.

Config -> Sound Setup tab

Inputs - Timecodes – Left Ch. 1&2 / Right Ch. 3&4 Outputs - External Mixer – Deck 1 - Ch. 1&2 / Deck 2 - Ch. 3&4 Sound card - ASIO – Denon ASIO driver – Ultra-Latency CHECKED

Click the Timecode Config button to make setting changes for Timecode. – Make sure the tab labeled BOTH is selected (default) – From the Timecode dropdown list - chose the LAST option for 2000Hz signal – Leave the mode option on Smart Relative – Adjust the Pan/Anti knob so it is at 12 o’clock (straight up) – Adjust the Gain so it is around 10 o’clock

If you did everything in this post from the first line to now, then you should be able to hit play on the SC3900 decks and see your input signal at this point on the calibration boxes and should have 100% Quality signal.

** Recommended optional settings ** – Click on the Debug button ---- Check the Disable ClearSound ---- Check the AntiSkip ---- Check the Disable Pitch ---- Slide the Lead time slider FULL LEFT for 0.0ms lead time.

Now you can select OK or Apply on all the Open dialog boxes to return to the VirtualDJ interface and start mixing.

If you continue to have problems, I encourage you to post on the VirtualDJ forums as I do not frequent here to the Denon forums that often. And, there are other Denon SC3900 users that post on our forums quite often. So if you are not using a Denon mixer and using an external sound card - they might find better help there.

Chris (cstoll) VirtualDJ / Atomix Productions

Feliciano21 Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:42 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod I followed step by step what Chris suggested and everything worked fine. my decks are hooked up directly to the mixer and my X600 is hooked up directly to my PC. Using the setup Chris laid out you don’t need the Numark box.

I will post this on the Serato section as well. For comparison purposes I wanted to see how my Serato (using SL3) stacked up. I can honestly say that my 3900s worked perfectly, the backspinning and scratching was just like advertised. My only complaint is that the lights don’t work when cueing up a certain spot on a track, etc., the functionality of the buttons worked and if you wanted the lights on you had to use the preset but they remain on. One of the great features of VDJ using my 3700s on MIDI was that everything worked as advertised, guess I got spoiled.

One thing that stood out about the VDJ staff’s comments is that the programming is done in house. There are pros and cons to this but the pros outweigh the cons for certain.

Still a great software to use (VDJ).

Just my $0.02 cents.

cstoll

@kpone9 - glad you are still willing to not follow advice from our forums (or the information posted above) to get your setup correctly configured. Great carry over from the VirtualDJ forums. :slight_smile:

@Feliciano21 - some considerations to look into:

1. Don’t know what sample buffer rate you are using with the X600, but if you make adjustments to this setting in the Denon ASIO driver interface - are you able to get better/tighter control?? With the X1700, I think we were able to get down to 5ms maybe 3ms and things tightened up.

2. Just as a comparison - try the SL3 box with VirtualDJ instead of the X600. How much better is it than using the X600?

3. MIDI LEDs - are you using the default setting on the 3900s which is set to ALL ON? page 42 of the Denon 3900 manual - change to NORMAL. Feliciano21 User avatar Posts: 217 Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:24 am Location: Redondo Beach Type of DJ: Mobile DJ Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm Re: *** Virtual DJ Official Support / SC3900 Hybrid MIDI Mod Thanks for the advice, I will try those adjustments and see what happens. I thought about using the SL3 with VDJ so I’ll give that a shot.

On the MIDI LEDs, in normal mode the functionality is there but the light doesn’t come on, like MIDI mode with the 3700s.

DENON Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:58 pm

On the MIDI LEDs, in normal mode the functionality is there but the light doesn’t come on, like MIDI mode with the 3700s.

If you did the update from v1020 to > v1030, please DELETE the SC3900 icons from your Audio/MIDI mac window while plugged in. Then turn Decks OFF and back ON (and select Hybrid MIDI) to reconnect, thanks.

After doing this, the LEDs will come back on.

:turtle: Does it take you 3 years to watch 60 minutes?

I think this is a genuine forum “topic bump” record! :joy:

Spambot