- 4TB external SSD
- Thunderbolt 2/3 connection
- Macbook Pro 2017 (500gb internal SSD)
I just converted my external ssd to APFS. I was having issues with exFAT. eg accidental disconnect leading to slow mounting next time on my mac. The SSD was HFS before Engine Prime and i had converted to exFAT for compatibility reasons.
This drive is not intended for use with any Denon DJ Prime gear nor Pioneer DJ CDJs. I have a smaller SSD for that purpose.
- Engine prime reads it normally and Serato DJ is good to go as well.
- It’s quicker to load and do the usual library refresh.
- Think there is less file checking in Engine Prime as well…you know when you click on a different collection crate and its checking files like a maniac
With my own workflow i did not see any benefit of sticking with exFAT as i use Macs exclusively for djing.
Since the release of 2.0, Engine DJ now shows an incompatible drive error when APFS/HFS formatted drives are connected
This happens if said drive is connected via USB
Workaround (expensive) - use a thunderbolt drive as it bypasses the USB bus (Engine treats it like an internal drive)