Use cue point as an anchor for beat grid

• What is the feature or ability you would like to have? The beat detection on Engine Prime is okay for the most part, but it struggles fairly often. This is all well and good since you can manually fix it, but searching for the correct bpm of a track you don’t know the bpm of involves a lot of guessing and moving of the grid. This is made worse by the fact that the beat grid seems to be anchored by the very beginning of the track, rather than a downbeat you can set yourself.

• How will this feature help you and others?

here’s a usecase scenario:

you’re at the first drop and aligned the red grid to the start of the kick.

you play the song a bit and eventually see that the beat grid is too fast.

you guess a lower bpm but now the beatgrid isn’t aligned to the first kick anymore so you have to manually move it.

this is pretty common for old-ish house tunes where the correct bpm is like 125.370 lol, but it’d also be useful when producers deviate from usual bpms (for example, dubstep in 145bpm or the many slower 115-127bpm house tunes)

• Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product? don’t know

• Does a workaround currently exist? see scenario

• How often would you use this feature? every time auto detection doesn’t work, which we can all agree isn’t rare

• Is there any additional information you’d like to add?

1 Like

hmmm … the idea behind that isnt bad.

But I would resolve it like that:

Set all the 8 Cue Points on start of the kicks (kick 1/kick 2/kick 3 …) . After that there should be a button to click (Take CUE Point as Beat Reference)

after that you can delete the CUES - and set them to you Hot Cue points for mixing.

That might result in inaccurate beatgridding; after all, it’s very difficult for a human to pinpoint the exact same spot on a kick transient eight kicks in a row… it would be more accurate if the kicks were spread out through the tracks, but at that point it would also probably be easier to just guess and check

it´s not hard for me, because I produce … and I cut very precise :wink:

But yea … you´re right … for normal people, it could be hard to find the start of the transients … Maybe P4 could assist with 0point snapping, so that you really hit the first beat exactly.

there are so many posibilities on how they can implement it - but they have to do it right now :wink:

… my wish is flexible beatgrid.