Updating the internal drive from the flash drives?

With the Prime 4 being promoted as a standalone system, why does the unit have to be connected to a computer to update the internal HDD?

Surely it would be much more convenient if the HDD could be updated from a flash drive in any of the four USB sockets, or from the SD card slot?

4 Likes

Let’s say you have a stand-alone swimming pool in your garden.

Would you fill this up directly with the garden hose or would you rather fill up buckets of water with the garden hose and use those buckets to fill the swimming pool?

Now for some tracks to be added, it could work fine, but directly will be faster.

3 Likes

Oh come on - flash drives are not “buckets” these days. They can hold thousands of tracks. If you consider flash drives to be buckets then why bother putting USB slots on there in the first place?

Once you’ve got your existing library on the drive (by using the computer) then all you’ll be doing from then on is topping it up with a few tracks a week. Buckets are fine for that.

3 Likes

Of course I’m exaggerating a bit.

The onboard drive can already officially be 1TB and a 4TB SSD is available on the market.

For simple updates it will be fine.

I’m with PKtheDJ on this one

For just adding a handful of tracks and a few playlists, putting them on a stick, and copying them from the stick to the internal drive, when you’re set up at the gig, rather than having to hook up the device at home, is much easier, to me at least.

2 Likes

As engine prime is supposed to be the “tap” that holds all the water/tunes - it makes perfectly good of sense to connect the prime 4 to a laptop or home pc to load more tunes onto the prime 4

Seems for some people denon can’t do anything right. Denon added a hard drive bay in the prime 4 - great says everyone. Oh, wait , having a hard drive inside makes me do something I don’t want

I suppose the answer is for those who won’t bring their prime 4 to their home pc is not to bother using the hard drive bay - just plug a hard drive into prime 4 USB ports

Im still failing to see why someone would choose to transport files via thumb drive as opposed to just setting the laptop down next to the unit and plugging in via USB.

2 Likes

OK…so can i import\copy my music collection from usb to internal ssd?from what i’ve understand if i insert my Rekordbox pen into the Prime 4 i can copy\convert music cues ecc directly on the ssd… right?

I think the point is to leave the laptop at home I do understand doing this at the house instead of using a thumb drive but not at a gig

1 Like

Did you miss the part of the product description where it says “standalone”? Denon are making a big thing of this. You don’t need a laptop - it’s a “DJ System”.

So then it makes sense to dump the laptop for doing simple track updates. I’d guess most of us (whatever type of DJ) add fewer than 100 new tracks per week, so it’s not going to take hours.

i have all my DJ gear , including the decks and mixer (XDJ1000 DJM900NXS combo) stored at a storage facility, i have no space for it at home.

i prepare my music on 1TB external SSD at home and plug it in at the gig

with the P4 being able to import from a stick would save me the trouble of bringing it home and hooking it up to my computer

1 Like

Maybe this topic should be merged with the other topic about people misunderstanding what standalone means

now can this hard drive be a sata to usb 3.0 connection. think the protocol was uasb or something. or i could if wanted just use a small drive caddy and use that which should be regular usb 3.0.

In a nutshell, it would be my second biggest item on my wish list of options:

To be able to load up a USB drive/stick (with Engine Prime) and use it to update the library on my Prime 4 internal SSD.

I like to do at least one update per week. I very much hate having to drag the USB cable out and all that. Where-ever I am set up, any cable that can be removed is a big bonus.

Woooo how heavy is that usb cable ?

1 Like

as always, answers of considerable intelligence on your part. if you don’t even understand this type of utility nobody asks you to comment stupidly on a request that is very useful and obvious, just see how many requests about this function. I’m seriously starting to think that many of you are fake users created by someone who runs the forum on Denon’s behalf. otherwise stupid interventions like yours would not be explained.

1 Like

Off course Cygnostic, we should to Be able to update often and everywhere our Internal library, your consideration is perfect but at today nobody has answered about that.

There´s just one thing… The good old Copyright-issue. Say a friend of mine brings a USB - and while he´s at the toilet, I could copy his music.

There might be some workarounds to prevent this - eg. a internal “keycode” in the db-folder that MUST match to prove that both devices are used on the same Engine Prime.

I would rather have a option to update via Wifi if I could choose.

A copy paste function between sources it could be a good option and not using everytime the laptop.

That’s not an issue with Denon or the Prime series, or the functionality - that’s an issue with you if you choose to do that.