Unreliable BPM/beat grid analysis that affects the actual players

UPDATE 2: I again ran into serious problems, even after rebuilding the library from scratch and reinstalling the software. I’ve reverted back to 1.3.1., and all problems are gone.

The original report:

After playing around with the new software I noticed some really strange things with the BPM/beat grid analysis. After creating a playlist with 1.3.2, I noticed some tracks were playing totally off on my SC5000’s (ie. the track would play at the wrong speed, even at 100% which imo is a very serious issue), so I did some thorough checking, and noticed a few strange things.

• Software or Firmware Version: (1.2, 1.3.1, etc…)

• Steps to Reproduce: (Turn on unit, press button X, etc…)
  1. Use a tool to calculate BPM’s for all tracks (MP3) and make sure they are added to the ID3-tag.
  2. Go to your collection
  3. Re-analyze all tracks
  4. Start on top of the list, and choose a track and check the BPM, then open the next track, and so on, until you notice the BPM suddenly changes.
  5. Open the track in explorer and check what the BPM should be according to the ID3-tag.
  6. Re-analyze the track and be amazed again as the BPM changes back to its initial value.

EXAMPLE:

I did step 1 to 3. Now it’s time to look for anomalies. I noticed this track which was listed at 186 BPM:

After loading the track, the BPM changes from 186 to 189:

Checking the BPM as calculated by MixMeister: 3

Now, I re-analyze the track: 4

Lo and behold, the BPM changes back to 186:

• Expected Result: (ex: It does X…) After re-analyzing all tracks, I would expect the BPM from the ID3 tag to be used, but certainly not a fluctuation after loading the track.

• Actual Result: (ex: It does Y…) The BPM changes unexpectidly.

• Reproducibility: (ex: Happens 1 out of 10 times.) It doesn’t happen all the time, but if you look for it in the way I suggested, you will find the anomalies. It appears that after re-analyzing individual tracks it doesn’t happen anymore, but it seems very unreliable.

• Other Relevant Configuration Info: (ex: Plugged into a Windows 10 laptop.) Windows 10 laptop.

• Operating System & Version (if applicable): Windows 10.

• Link to Video Repro: I did my best on the screenshots ;).

1 Like