[UNDER REVIEW] Microphone Cutting Out

From denons end the soloution would be to switch off the mic gate when talkover option is switched off, in a future firmware update

In the meantime for those people who have mics affected by this, who have to lend mics out to inexperienced mic users then an adaptor or mic mixer allowing a spare mic to be plugged into the line level inputs on channels 1 to 4 would work around this , as the music channels presumably don’t have low input gates

The problem exists with the industry standard leaded Shure SM58. It is totally unusable as it is. Hope there is a fix soon as I have had this since the day of it’s launch and have still not used it on the road.

A £20 mini mixer like a little Alto would let you connect microphone level sources like corded mics or radio mic receiver outputs to the rca inputs on one of the music input channels.

I know you shouldn’t have to buy an additional bit, and probably you won’t have to in a few firmware releases, but if it’s the difference between leaving the whole thing at home, or taking it out , go for it

1 Like

Hi @kuris,

Sorry to hear you had trouble with your microphones on the PRIME 4. I can confirm that we will a controllable preference for the Microphone Gate Threshold in the near future.

Could you tell me which microphone systems you had difficulty with?

Does this system have a controllable attenuation or level? If so, try increasing the level to see if that helps.

@NewburyDJ Sorry to hear of your difficulties! Are you saying you have issues with a corded SM58 mic or are you using a wireless system with SM58 capsule? Is it possible to record a video of the issue you are experiencing?

Hi.Yes wired Shure SM58 Mic, not radio mic. I will see what I can do Re video. Issue is the same as reported with radio mic, cutting out have tried all settings but still get the same results. Lower mic levels (normal operating Level) flickering green light and cutting out turn it up and feedback

i have experience with mc4000, mc7000 and prime 4. when running a wireless mic setup (various shure) the results are bad if you plug them into the mic input. we haven’t figured out how to set it up correctly so we bring a separate outboard mixer and run denon + mics into that.

Bizarre. I run Shure and Sennheiser wireless systems through all of my Prime gear without any problems at all.

2 Likes

It is strange. I’ve tested Shure BLX4R (wireless SM58 capsule) and Sennheiser e835 (wired) on two different PRIME 4 units, one running 1.3.2 and the other on 1.4 beta, both without issue. Mixer Attenuation set to -3dB and Volume pot set to max on BLX4R receiver.

To verify, I recorded the audio output and amplified the waveform to inspect for missing data. The only time I saw missing data was when the Sennheiser e835 was about 2ft away from my mouth which is expected. This is the gate kicking in to block out unwanted background noise.

There is something we’re missing here that is causing this for some but not others.

1 Like

last night i was using a wired sm58 and that wasn’t right either. i would say that the mic channel is overly sensitive and has really limited dynamic range.

Could you elaborate on “wasn’t right either”?

There is Mic Attenuation control within the Utility Menu if you find the microphone too sensitive.

As far as your dynamic range comment, what is your application singing or speaking? Why do you describe the range as limited?

If there are ways we can improve, we’re happy to investigate but need to better understand your comments.

Thanks!

I have another bad experience from last weekend with PRIME 4 and microphone “gate”. I tried 2 pcs of wireless Sennheiser D1 and a wired AKG D5 but unfortunately with same bad results. Simply, when somebody not speaking directly into the mic then the gate is active and the words are lost. I wish to have a possibility to switch off the gate or set the gate level.

2 Likes

Hello, what kind of firmware do you have on the P 4 ? @kuris

now I have v1.3.3

And with 1.3.2 it went ?

I have only had the Prime 4 a couple weeks. Today is November 14, 2019. I was totally embarrassed using the Prime 4 the very first time at a corporate event.
I’m using a handheld wired SM58 and a wirelsss handheld BLX system. Both mics dropping out plugged into mic 1 and mic 2. It was terrible. One of the reasons I bought a prime 4 was to get away from using a mixer and laptop. I’m using the 1.4 beta version on the Prime 4. I love some of the features on the Prime 4 but the mic issue has to be fixed before I can take the Prime 4 out to another event. Denon please work on fixing this ASAP. Thank you!

1 Like

No, unfortunately with 1.3.2. it was the same. I really love Prime 4 but with this issue it is unusable for me. I really thinking about a returning the unit back.

Yip, this is a real problem when you have people that have no microphone experience (basically 90% of people doing speeches at functions). You can clearly see the mic signal coming in with the green mic led, but no audio is coming out (the gate is on). I’ve found that turning the mic attenuation in the settings to 0db is where it works the best or should I say, has the least dropout / gate effect. And obviously asking the people to place the mic closer to their mouth / talk a bit louder. But this really needs to be sorted out.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the difficulties. We are aware of these reports and are currently working on solutions to address the behavior. I am moving this to the bug report area for proper tracking.

In the meantime, I’m wondering (hoping) if adjusting the Microphone Attenuation in the Utility Menu might help improve the issue.

1 Like

It works perfect to me. This is my configuration.

I haven’t upgraded it, still 1.3.1 as everything works (but beatgriding of course)