Two versions of music collection needed? #fail

Meta data and a complete track download directly to the player vs some small metadata is a big difference.

If the all in one console / players by Denon should replace laptop djs, their Internal software must purpose the same opportunities . Rekordbox cloud was released FIRST to be able to update your entire collection (metadata + audio files) EVERYWHERE.

Ehmmm let’s not get into a comparison of who’s wares are better, they all all have +'s and -'s but in the end we choose Denon/EP. And yes the wishlist is there, for some longer than others.

And who know’s, Denon were smart and sneaky enough to integrate WiFi into the standalone, so cloud sync or some version maybe in our future. For now we need cables to manage the collection. For now we have to use two collections, but good news I got the sync feature to work as it should, still have two collections but my changes were accepted and that is good news.

So if anyone has tips how to circumvent the two identical collections requirement, I’m open

Sync manager is not for this workflow.

It’s for people that allow EP to transfer files to a different drive they intend to use with their hardware.

From your explanation and method

1. You are copying the files directly

2. To engine prime that’s two different databases and even though they are mirrored.

3. You need an incremental cloning software to keep both drives up to date or you can do it manually. Eg if PrimeSSD has most recent changes you clone that back to laptop SSD and vice versa.

4. Even if they implement cloud sync, it still may not be for you except they add incremental cloning as an extra feature. And it may also be unidirectional ie Laptop SSD to Prime SSD

1 Like

I manage the internal HDD of the P4 as if it were an external drive. My complete collection is internal to the Notebook, when I connect the NB to the P4 I will synchronize the two, or I drag the music from the collection (in the NB) to the external unit (installed inside the P4). This way it works regularly and I only have a single collection in the notebook.

If I make changes to the music inside the P4 (for example change loops or hotcues), I can subsequently connect the notebook and synchronize with the collection.

I believe this is the way to use the whole system correctly.

1 Like

I started with my non EP lib on external SSD. I moved that to the P4’s SSD, then imported it to EP, this creating my EP collection. Works perfectly. Trouble was/is you need to be hooked up to P4 SSD to manage the collection. This duplicated the action, imported the external SSD into EP whilst not hooked up to P4. This having 2 identical collections. And now succeeded in syncing external SSD collection to P4 SSD collection. But still the need to have duplicates remains. And yes I could just use the P4 SSD as target for excerpts of my lib, but I feel that is(should be :wink:) not the P4 standalone mindset.

Should WiFi sync become available, I could manage my library anywhere, just as long as I have the P4 powered up. This is effectively the only way to have one library other than always having cabled connection with the drive holding your collection.

Al said, storage is cheap, P4 has no size limit on SSD, so I just buy 1 ex- and 1 internal SSD and use EP 1.5 excellent Sync to keep stuff in line.

If I had a Prime 4 or any of the units with a drive bay, I will use the bay drive for bulk storage ie a dump of my entire library via sync manager.

Then I would use my laptops external ssd (which contains my base EP collection) plugged into one of the numerous USB sockets on the units

It’s the laptop SSD that will be managed manually ie folders are exactly where I created them.

Then at monthly intervals I will sync my main to the bay drive.

I will almost nearly play from the connected SSD rather than the bay drive.

If I decide to export from main to a thumb drive, the bay drive will be there just incase I need to dig deeper at a gig.

Eg booked for an hour set, I export from main 70 tracks to a thumb drive but if that set is not working I can use the bay drive as my own local Spotify.

Sync manager feature is not for this workflow. The drive will work correctly as Ep and engine os does not discriminate.

@MixMasterG_ATGR.nl explained this in one of his videos as well.

1 Like

My Prime performance drives (=external drive dedicated for use on my SC5000s) are synchronized with my complete combined iTunes/Traktor collection. Containing over 110K of tracks and counting.