Trouble dragging tunes from collection to USB drive in 2.0, doesn't work like 1.6 did

Hi, all. I’m having some trouble that I hope I can get some help with or figure out a new way to do what I want to efficiently

My music collection lives on an external SSD connected to my computer via Thunderbolt 3 (we’ll call this one “collection drive”). In 1.6, the collection drive was divided into Crates, by genre. When I buy new music, I would get it on the collection drive by dragging the tunes from my Downloads folder into Engine Prime. It would then analyze the tunes, then I’d set my cue points, etc.

When it comes time to mix, stream, play - whatever, I would drag tunes from the collection drive into playlists on the USB (we’ll call it “performance drive”). That way I don’t have to take my whole collection with me, I don’t need to worry about going through 1000s of tunes, it’s just much easier.

With 2.0, the performance drive acted strangely. The names of the playlists were visible on both the computer and my SC5000, but the playlists were empty - no tunes available. When connecting the drive to my computer and looking through it in Finder, I could find the files, no sweat.

I reformatted the performance drive and attempted to drag tunes over one at a time, the same workflow I used in 1.6, but when I’d do that, it would snap me to the top of the list in the collection drive. So I then have to scroll all the way down to get the next tune to drag to the performance drive.

I hope this makes sense, perhaps I can do a screen recording if it doesn’t, but I don’t understand the workflow of 2.0 at all and I really want to. Thanks, everyone, I’d appreciate any help!

2 Likes

I second this.

1 Like

I have a similar set up ie collection drive via thunderbolt and a Mac user

I created a DJMUSIC folder on the root of the Collection drive. This is where all my music files are.

I usually have drive connected to my Mac so when I’m downloading, it goes straight DJMUSIC.

At this stage I move the music from downloads folder to the DJMUSIC folder I created on the collection drive.

Then I add DJMUSIC folder to Engine DJ, when the new tracks are added, analysed, play-listing, etc

Correct (you could also use sync manager for sending collection drive playlists to performance drive)

Are you dragging to performance drives collection

Here’s a screen recording of what I"m talking about:

2 Likes

Click on the Crate name on the Left Panel.

Drag from there to performance USB

does that make any difference?

i just checked on my laptop and tried your method dragging from Drives (BC Tunes) to Drives (Engine USB) with no problem.

My Collection drive is APFS formatted though…not sure if that makes any difference

Well, it would make a difference because I don’t want to copy that whole playlist (“Drum n Bass” was formerly a crate) to the Engine USB drive, just the actual tunes I want to bring with me to the gig/set.

My “BC Tunes” drive is formatted in ExFat. Can you try what I did in the video, perhaps APFS makes a difference?

try this,

1. collapse all the drives in the right Drive panel except performance drive
  2. use left collection panel to navigate to the tracks you want to take to gig
  3. the tracks will show up on the right library view
  4. drag from there instead

In that Screenshot

• Collection Drive (External) = Thunder (connected via thunderbolt and APFS)

• Performance drive (external ssd) = priMufasa (usb connected and exfat)

Same thing, unfortunately:

i can see the task bar moving…did the tracks get added to the USB TEST1 or TEST2 crates?

you didnt film that part

They did, but I’m wanting to find a way to be able to drag tunes over to the performance drive without having the window on the right not snapping all the way to the top with each file added to the performance drive, as it used to and will be again (if, indeed, this is a bug).

mine is staying on the track as it should

1. do you have autoanalysis on?
  2. columns are sorted by title?

Nope, I have them sorted by date added.

chose another sorting eg sort by title and test

Tried a few different sort methods:

1 Like

Its a strange one.

as you can see in my video i dont have such issue.

I will try with my exfat (clone) collection drive and get back to you

Changed thread name to hopefully get official Denon eyes in here.

Tested on my macbook with exfat collection drive.

as you can see from the video, the library stays in focus after dragging to performance drive

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 09.05.34

Yeah, I’m on Big Sur as well. I’m hoping this will be able to be sorted, it’s really on my nerves!

I also second the “snap to top after dragging” problem. Even more strange is the fact that it only started doing that today, after upgrading from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2. I have been “cleaning the house” since Engine DJ came out and while in the low gig season but this snapping to top makes the software unusable. If only we had smart playlists, I could go around this but the only way I have to build playlists from scratch is by dragging…

BTW this is happening in my local SSD, while building playlists from scratch, dragging from the Collection (4060 songs) to those playlists. I am currently sorting my collection by “Date Created” as it is the most stable variable I could find. I’m on a 2017 iMac runing Mac OS Catalina.