Traktor to Prime 4, is it worth the move ?

Hello All

First post here. I’ve been using Traktor for the last 10 years and I’m not unhappy with it but I do like the Denon products (last mixer was a Dnx1600). Currently running a S4 (pitch faders are too short for my liking) but really want a Prime 4. How many of you have made the switch and not looked back ? Most forum posts are asking for assistance or reporting bugs and/or faulty gear so I would love to hear some positive stories too.

I’ve not switched from Traktor, but I did buy a Prime 4 and I love it. It’s not been put away since I got it (unlike my other kit).

I was slightly concerned about the screen size compared to a laptop, but have been pleasantly surprised how usable it is. Not gigged with it yet (damn virus) but looking forward to doing so.

Of course the forum looks full of users with problems, but it’s always like that. It’s those users who post. The ones who have no problems don’t need to post about them.

I would recommend it.

2 Likes

I have come from Traktor also. S4 mk3, S4 mk1, S2 mk2 and F1. I really like the prime 4. I think the effects need a bit of work but what I really do like about the effects is you can change the frequency range, full on, highs or lows. Really great to add Phaser or flange just on the high range. I think engine prime 1.5 does a great job at analysing tracks including old skool tracks. House, techno etc is a breeze. Streaming is cool to. Tidal has a lot of music on there and underground dance music too. I tend to research on beatport, traxsource, juno downloads etc and Tidal has most. Only thing it doesn’t have is the exclusives and some of the promos that traxsource tends to have. I have my prime4 on ethernet in my man shed and I really do love it. It’s future proof, sounds way better than Traktor hardware and Imho is more fun to mix on. I love the pitch bend denon classic buttons. Hope that helps.

1 Like

I think the only thing I would miss is DVS, I tend to use that a lot and only use the controller side of the S4 when I’m being lazy or mixing a 3rd deck but then the pitch faders annoy me.

You can use DVS with the Prime 4. It has phono inputs and works with Serato, and I assume also with VDJ.

1 Like

True, it’s more of a controller then rather than mixed/hybrid and brings the computer back into the mix (pun intended). I’ll have to check out some vid’s with Serato.

The Prime 4 unlocks Serato DJ Pro but the DVS is a $99 paid upgrade.

2 Likes

It’s good to have options.

I also come from Traktor. I have been using the denon prime sc5000 since March 2018. the changeover took a long time because of the move of crates, playlists, cue points etc. there were no tools to convert the music fromother dj tools, but now there are tools. At the beginning the player firmware was also faulty, but now the workflow with the prime is similarly good as with traktor. So my recommendation is … switch is worth it.

3 Likes

Hi Lepfert. Have you tried using the SC5000’s with Traktor via DVS & timecode on USB? Does that work? I want to buy a pair to use mainly stand-alone but I like to mess around with Traktor and would like a way to accurately control the virtual platters. I know everything else can be easily MIDI mapped, but MIDI response for jogwheels is too slow. Thanks!

Hi gbe386. I dont try to use traktor and the sc5000(m)s in DVS mode. And yes there are people they build a midi map for the controllers, but there is no HID mode and the waveforms are not Shown in the display. Thats the point i bought serato that is fully supported with HID. But i wasnt happy with that and i analyzed every song from my collection to be able to use the controllers natively. I haven’t regretted the decision. Now you can use tools for the collection convertings. That works fast and correct. And with the next firmware you can set flexible beatgrids that works perfect in the beta1.6.

1 Like

I collected a Prime 4 yesterday and had a little play. I’m very happy for the most part. I would prefer more tension in the jogs (the S4 jogs are weighted nicely) and I have some adjustments to make in terms of cue activation and button feel which I’m sure will not take long.

The only pain I’m having is importing my track collection (less than 10k) from Traktor as all files are on my NAS. Need to play with exporting the playlists and full collection.

NAS is a no-no with Engine Prime. I’d recommend fitting a SSD inside the Prime 4.

You could in theory just replicate your NAS file/directory layout on the SSD and go from there.

It’s a pain for sure. I’ve exported all playlists from Traktor including files to my desktop, then importing those into EP from there. EP has crashed once already whilst analysing.

Have you started making use of the new Smartlists in Traktor yet?

@DenonDJ you really need to add Smart Playlists to Engine Prime - ASAP!

No I’ve not used smartlists. I have a very basic structure.

Files / Folders

I create a new folder each year, all non-iTunes purchases are stored here.

iTunes stores purchases as iTunes does (family share 1 account and not all music is DJ/dance music).

Traktor

I create a playlist per year, I can drag direct from iTunes or the folder as required. I also have around 20 other playlists.

The above presents two problems in regards to migrating to Engine Prime.

1, All files are stored on my NAS which EP does not support.

1. All files in iTunes are stored all over the place (compilation blah, album blah). Cannot just drag the iTunes folder across as it has a ton on non DJ music.

Import steps

1. Export collection and all playlists including files from Traktor to a local folder. This places all files in one folder.

2. Delete / Remove collection from Traktor.

3. Import the local collection and playlists into Traktor.

4. Import Traktor library into Engine Prime.

5. Sync EP with the SSD in the Prime 4

6. Profit ???

Step 2 was required otherwise I would have had duplicates in Traktor and it would take EP a long time to import the library and I had already been testing various methods for hours plus I wanted to play with the damn thing.

Managed to play for 3 hours. I’m used to the jogs now and I’m happy I have my playlists and cue/loop points. The only thing I’m not a fan off is the faders, they are flimsy compared to my S4 and DNX-1600. Will spend sometime today on the workflow to add new tracks.