Touch screen in hot sun

• Software or Firmware Version: (1.2, 1.3.1, etc…) current OS

• Steps to Reproduce: (Turn on unit, press button X, etc…) use your 5000m in direct sunlight

• Expected Result: (ex: It does X…) touch screen should respond

• Actual Result: (ex: It does Y…) it didn’t

• Reproducibility: (ex: Happens 1 out of 10 times.) only happened once so far

• Other Relevant Configuration Info: (ex: Plugged into a Windows 10 laptop.)

• Operating System & Version (if applicable):

• Link to Video Repro:

I had this happen the other day during a gig where I had been in the shade but the sun moved right over my gear:

The touch screen became unresponsive in the heat. Has this happened to others? Is some sort of shade always recommended?

I was pretty worried, but it was fine on the next power up.

I see the options as being switch off the sun or bring/arrange suitable weather provision for any electronic gear, not just the prime eg: umbrella or gazebo to protect against rain, electric fans in excessively hot weather, beach umbrella or portable shades for direct sunlight.

So E of the Primes touch screen functions are replicated by hardware controls eg: track loading /back / waveform zoom in out

1 Like

Did the rotary encoder still work, in other words, the unit didn’t completely freeze up?

1 Like

Keep all pro audio electronics out of direct sunlight when possible. I still make the same shades that we used to make for turntables back in the day.

Ya can make a weather shield out of plexi, spray paint, clear, and some framing for less than $75. __ / |

2 Likes

My iPhone doesn’t like the sun (heat) either. I wouldn’t expect my SC5000 to like it either. If you DJ outdoors, buy a cheap canopy tent to protect your gear and setup under it to be in the shade.

4 Likes

Yep! The encoder saved the day

1 Like

[Moving to general SC5000 area as this is not a bug]

Yeah, just like any computer (including my mac) sun is not your friend. If you’re doing a gig outside bring a tent or have one provided.

1 Like

my new canopy just showed up today! sun issues will be a thing of the past.

3 Likes

Do you have a YouTube or instructional link to do this? Been looking online, but can’t find anything except pics on Pinterest. Found one site that is made for DJs consoles, but retails for $275!

Nopers. Never took the time to make a video.

Take a sheet of plexi and cut them into the shapes with proper dimensions too look like the below.

1 Like

Nice. Thanks for the drawing as reference! You mentioned black spray paint. Is that sprayed on the exterior surface of the plexi or underside interior (not sure it matters cause I’ve not done this yet)?

You can do on either. Ive also use reflective paint on the outside with flat black on the inside.

1 Like

Just thinking basic physics here, a reflective internal surface would be best to reflect the radiant heat from the sun, but you’d need a matt outer surface, so as not to blind the dance floor (I’d say black but that would then attract heat to the surface below and create a stupidly hot plastic structure, perhaps white?). Naturally many other combinations would work, but this would be best from a heat prevention method (same as a vacuum flask principle).

You might need some vents though as this would keep heat within the structure too, purely from atmospheric heat due to the design (funnel).

It’s a good while since I studied physics though, so happy to be corrected on this!!!

1 Like

White paint would be better defo as Yeltsin said - white reflects heat, black absorbs heat.

Obviously it don’t matter how hot the sunshade device gets (until it melts in extreme countries) but yes physics is physics

2 Likes

I played at the back of a truck to a studentparty 3 weeks ago - had made a ‘shield’, but that was more to protect from the water getting thrown at us.

Pretty? NO. Functonal? Yes!

You can easely downsize such a thing and then spraypaint it. I used that kind of plastic as it was the cheapest, and only should last for the 13 hour truck ride.

Videos from the party:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Rvhsrpb0fzKooi2SxK_vsOCrAy9dnHe/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-54jdf1dBegp2b-vhlwrDb3nIQsLskwg/view?usp=drivesdk

4 Likes

Just reading all the comments and good ideas. If you really wanted to, you could make two cut outs of everything and connect them to each other with spacers (1/2") so that the whole thing is double layered; then you can go white on the outside layer and black on the inside layer and possibly even your DJ logo on the outside layer facing the crowd. Hope what I am imagining makes sense.

2 Likes

The reflective paint I was referring to was not Chrome or Gold spray paint. We used Thermatek Heat Reflective paint. Its the same thing we use on the silos on our family’s farms.

3 Likes

Love this thread! Great ideas guys!

2 Likes