Too big recorded files

• What is the feature or ability you would like to have? Split Recordings automatically to avoid extremly large files as they are produced at the moment. No Professional post production Software will open a recorded file of a whole night or a set over two hours

• How will this feature help you and others? Make it possible to post produce a mix. Actually a recording from a whole night, or sets over arround 2,5 hours generate a file, that sizes over 2Gb which is over the Limit of most professional softwares. Ableton Live for example can not Import a three hour set that was mixed and recorded on Prime4 because of the size. Also transfer to other drives will be much easier and faster.

• Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product?

NI Traktor Auto autmatically split recordings

• Does a workaround currently exist? not really, I use a cheap free Software to split the the file first and work with them after this in Ableton Live…

• How often would you use this feature? Very often, I`m used to record full weddings, parties and club nights

• Is there any additional information you’d like to add? No, I think everything is said. Let me make my brides happy again…. sending them the recording of the whole wedding Party is a big business punsher

… Not totally legal in some countries - but In all for the idea of the prime splitting the recording either every hour or every time the file size reaches x.x Meg

Thanks for support!

in which countries should this be illegal and why?

Certainly Italy and Greece it would be frowned on as copying music or music piracy.

Best check in your own country for its own rules regarding the copying

Are you experiencing the issue where the file appears much shorter than it actually is after importing it?

No, did not have this experience. All Recordings are ok (besides not loud enogh and big files…)

Very big files can be opened in Sound Forge by changing it to raw, editing the file wav prefix in a hex editor (copy shorter wav prefix into the longer one), and doing a manual open and assigning of properties in Sound Forge.

This is not an acceptable solution… file size must as small enogh to open it wothout any tricks, renaming, etc…

I meant for files the OP already has that he can’t open up.

4GB is the size limit for wav, but 2GB is the size limit for files on a Fat32 partition, and thus splitting would be necessary. For use of other drive types, up to 4GB should be possible. The option of w64 or RF64 might also be appropriate and can go beyond 4GB.