Thinking of revert to 1.5.2

Hi. I don’t want to rant or anything but Engine OS 1.6 is very disappointing for me.

I have Prime 2 since 14th of December last year and Im loving it. I was using EOS 1.5.2 until today. Never had any problems. Just one time my recording stops because supposedly my USB stick was to slow (im using 32GB Sandisk Extereme PRO 3 stick). But it happend only once in 3 months. My collection is in internal 128GB Sandisk SSD and im using USB stick only for recordings. Anyway, besides that one incident I was happy about my gear and loving every minute spent on mixing music.

Only thing that bothers me was effects. Echo is unusable because it volumes up the track when apply. This is well known and old problem. I was waiting for EOS 1.6 and hoping that maybe this bug will be fixed. It wasn’t…

But this is not the biggest problem with this firmware. I rarely use effects so I can live without echo FX.

I have two problem with EOS 1.6:

1. New waveform/track info layout. I don’t know why somebody decided that bigger we all need bigger waveforms but its ridicules. Also, new track info layout is not well thought either.

Why would you put tempo % so far from BPM information and break it with key info…

2. Weird channel VU meter behavior. I recorded two videos. I played the same track on the same deck with identical channel gain and master gain. This is EOS 1.5.2.: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4aqK7NemvsYRX1an8 and this is EOS 1.6.0: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXbjV3qmMWKF9URR6

This is for all my tracks in the collection. In 1.5.2 I almost never have to touch gain knob (always 12 o’clock position). In 1.6.0 I have to trim gain to 11 o’clock to not go to blue LED on channel VU meter. When I do that it affects my master volume so I have to crank up the master volume to max (+10) to get desire volume. Funny thing is that when I leave channel gain at 12, to overall volume of the master is (by my ears) is about the same in 1.5.2 and 1.6.0. But Im perfectionist and blue LED bothers my. It was good in 1.5.2 why ruining it.

The only thing that I like about new firmware is new Traktor style track waveform arrangement. Deck 1 is on the left and Deck 2 on the right. In 1.5.2. Deck 1 was on top and deck Deck 2 on bottom:

TLDR As a Prime 2 user I cant see any advantage of upgrading to 1.6.0. Noting is gained and more problems are added.

Im just disappointed after all this waiting for new firmware :frowning:

@Reticuli

/hides

2 Likes

The VU meter seems indeed a LED issue. Not a volume issue.

Maybe other Prime 2 users can confirm this blue led problem?

Confirmed. Experiencing same issue.

1 Like

Confirmed - maybe I understand the problem:

We are all used to the fact that the top LEDs of a level meter should never light up, because clipping and distortion dominate the sound at the latest then. Therefore, it is unusual for us that since 1.6.0 the top LEDs of the channel display light up regularly or even constantly.

However, I could not detect any distortions or clipping, so that it is probably only a display problem, as @Reese already suggested. The preamplification of the channels always seems to stay in the undistorted range (at least according to my impression, I haven’t measured yet).

The significance of the now almost always fully illuminated channel display is of course very small.

I didn’t hear any clipping of distortion also but it doesn’t mean that this issue should be treated as a regular VU meter behavior.

Bug report approved. It was already reported, but not public.

Btw changed text to VU meter. Unless you see the sun.

3 Likes

These smaller waveforms I don’t like at all,

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.