The Future of Music Management

I am not laughing on this, but You need to understand, this is not working for me now, and if I can’t listen and prepare my tracks before the show - it will not work for me and many djs. I hope there will be more options and the system will mature after time, but for now there is still room for improvement. Also as I mentioned - remote locations = no connection.

The panel had a rep from Denon, Pioneer, Beatport, Soundcloud etc.

Keep an eye on the comments section.

I think DJs by nature are very hesitant to change and thats not due to any inherent quality. Why change when what you are doing works right?

Most times technological advances has to be force fed to DJs or even deliberately making something obsolete so they can adopt the newer tech.

Change is the only constant in life.

https://www.beatport.com/subscriptions

Yes, i don’t use Tidal or any streaming service to DJ yet. Other than beta testing for Denon and once that 3 months trial finished i didn’t pay for a sub.

I use Spotify for my personal music consumption and i found a handy companion tool for building clones of spotify playlists from my own serato music collection

I subscribe to 4 dj pools actively, i still buy music from bandcamp, itunes etc

The topic of this thread is “The Future of Music Management”

I’m preparing for the next shift.

Adapt or Perish

1 Like

Well said.

For me, I fell in love with DJing nearly 40 years ago (I was still a kid). The Technics 1200 king and Urei mixers was the club standard. Fast forward to the 2000’s, 1200’s are a ‘nice to have’, and CDJ were king. Now in the 2020’s, vinyl records and CD’s are ancient, Denon’s Prime Series is threatening Pioneer for the throne, and music streaming for DJs is making an appearance.

One things is certain; change is constant. I first subscribed to Tidal for testing. One year later, I still have my Tidal subscription, for both personal and professional use. At first, I didn’t find it very handy, but recently, I started building playlists and using it for those random requests that I get at weddings/corporate events for songs that I don’t have (or don’t wish to ever have). Streaming is still evolving but will find it’s place in our industry.

3 Likes

Speaking of new technology, the newly released Rekordbox 6.0 supports cloud-base library management and syncing between devices (interesting).

HOWEVER, it is subscription-based and licensing for previous versions of Rekordbox aren’t grandfathered in (new subscription is required). In addition, you’ll most likely have to have a paid subscription to Dropbox in order to manage your library (free Dropbox account is only 2GB). Basically, it’ll be about $20-$30/monthly to managed a cloud-based library.

This is something that I don’t think I’ll be subscribing to any time soon. I’ll keep my hard drives until something more cost-effective comes around.

1 Like

I’m sick of hearing about rekordbox. Denon needs to learn to do things properly and not worry about using another company’s product as a workaround.