That's it, I'm done with it

The switch back to Allen & Heath and Pioneer is the only logical consequence of this disaster. I’m sorry, Denon, but you just took too long and then drove it massively against the wall. Working with your product takes all the fun out of what I’ve been doing with passion for years. Meanwhile I prefer to play with a friend’s equipment than with my SC5000 / X1800 system at home.

2 Likes

Hi @Lotzo, thank you for you post but could you please give me some more information on what you are specifically referring to?

Thank you.

J

What’s the point of your post dude seriously ? You have an awesome update so stop complaining

5 Likes

I get your frustration man, I’ve thought the same thing many times. Hope you still got your old gear. Thats really the only thing that kept me from loosing my mind and posting a rant when something wasn’t going right. What was your issue any how ? On a side note I still love the prime gear and and all the innovations they have brought to the Digital DJ community.

Have to agree with the request to be more specific. it’s pointless for everyone if you just express frustration and say you’ve given up, without giving any detail. My stance is that the update did take way too long but it added a couple of good things for me, key change and ability to make a crate or playlist on the sc5000. the really big elephant in the room which everyone can rightly still be frustrated with is track/bpm analysis. this is still way behind the other softwares. denon prime hardware is excellent, Denon Engine prime software still needs (a lot) work! keep the faith!

5 Likes

i just got mine mate and theres no way you prefer playing on your friends pioneers lol get a grip

6 Likes

The first above post have no specifics which I say the same as other repliers have too said.

The giant big firmware release two day ago did. Ring me back to the forum , after many week away of just me to read only the posts. Maybe some trolls and haters and other not-owning Prime DJs did the same in that they were prompted to post by the new firmwares.

Pioneer last firmware out had only three features in it . It is not difficult to think how jealous they owning pioneer or Allen heath would be of denon prime when more over 50 features are born in one release day together

Please elaborate a little, a rant like this isn’t really helping anyone to understand your frustration.

• What is it that you cannot do that you assumed/wished you could with your setup?
  • Is this related to the 1.3.1 firmware update?
  • What the biggest issue with your setup?

I’m perfectly happy with my setup now that the firmware update is here and seems pretty solid. But my workflow is as a follows:

• Library management in Rekordbox (cues, loops, comments/tags)
  • DeCU (haven’t given the new import function a shot yet in Prime)
  • All music on one drive, Denon & Pioneer compatible
  • SC5000 hooked to an A&H DB:2 (via digital)
  • Mainly long blends, some sharp cuts, no need for stutter fx or loop chopping. If loops, then playing on top of another track mostly for long intros or outros.
  • Personally, I have:
    • No need for HID support
    • No need for sync, quantize or phrase sync
    • A lot of use for A & B layers.
    • a lot of love for the new search function

I miss a few things but those can be addressed by library management.

So, if we could understand your context better, we might be able to help you out or understand you better. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

4 Likes

I will give this one reply as this topic start is based on nothing.

Disaster? BS!

Goodbye!

3 Likes

Curious timing. If this had been posted six months ago I might have understood. Did you have hardware issues? InMusic will work to resolve it. Don’t jump ship yet, bra, things are just getting good. Literally just now they’re getting good. Major firmware updates. More coming. Much more. Keep hope alive. Keep the faith. Stick to it. Don’t be a wuss.

3 Likes

I think some people prefer to poop post on forums than to just like go poop in the bathroom. This post has no specifics and zero credibility. Mods should remove it. Jus sayin.

2 Likes

Apparently he has issues with EP…

Not sure if there’s other stuff, too.

He probably just needs to run Engine Prime in compatibility mode or ensure that the drive he has his collection stored on is connected before launching Engine Prime.

ok, to make it clear. I’m not just any hater who mates around here for no reason. It’s just the many little things that make me say so.

I agree with @Kade: the hardware is good. The feel, the workmanship. Everything is very good. But on the software side, it’s a disaster.

Starting with the X1800: Send / Return in combination with a Boss RV5. If you send out a signal on the effect unit and then turns off the incoming signal is cut off directly. Great with a reverb, echo, delay.

No tail !!!

Why do I use external effects devices? Because the internals are just bad. There are so many and none, really no one is good. The Sweep FX unit is nice but not more.

SC5000: The start / stop button is inaccurate, even if in “Stop Time” button is set to “fast”. and no, I’m not the only one who says that.

Then I ask myself why you have the white “master beatgrid” (or whatever that means), if the only moves if you use the sync? WHAT FOR? It makes no sense! Apart from that, I expect a product that costs so much money that the beat does not run away. If you work with 4 decks, without sync, it should not be that the beat at 125.3 is slower than on an other player / layer that has 125.3. For example, Pionner: here the problem is not so massive. Then to the firmware update. It’s okay that you take it offline again when you discover errors. But it’s just embarrassing. Why has Denon been working on it for so long? If you rolled it out as beta. OK … but then publicly announce it as a “big” spring update on all sorts of platforms and then take it offline again 24h later. NOPE.

Engine Prime / Softeware Stuff: At “Reticuli” That was before. Meanwhile it works but it does not make it any better. It’s just not fun to work with. it is uninovative, complicated and confusing. I think “Rekordbox” not really better but it makes a lot of little things better. why, for example, you can not remove tracks from a playlist with “Del”, but rather cumbersome with the mouse. Or why is there no solution to search for duplicate titles?

And another problem: why is still no tractor 3 HDI support offered? Ok I can imagine that it is not only Denon but also the guys from Berlin. But it would be a good and proper step.

2 Likes

First internal effect is YOUR opinion man, I don’t have a X1800 I have a A&H DB4 but a friend does and I find all the effects pretty good and sometime better than a 900Nexus 2, easy to use too

Because you have two layers, it’s impossible to use a phase meter with this and which one is the “master” who decide when you have 2 track simultaneously? But I’m the same boat as you and I ask this firmware update since last year Start button don’t even hear this problem, do you have any other example?

For the firmware apparently it’s a problem with Serato users and one channel missing, ■■■■ happen dude it’s not a big deal

Yes agree Rekordbox is a looot better but now Denon can focus on EP and some great improvements

For Traktor it’s not a problem from Denon but Traktor like you say maybe an exclusivity for Pioneer or maybe it’s cost too much money Anyway Traktor 3 is not really that good and it’s better with USB key

Hey @Lotzo, thank you for more detail, this gives us a better understanding of where you are at and why you are feeling frustrated.

I don’t agree with ‘disaster’, I do however agree that there is more scope on the software side, a feeling that is echoed within the company to a point that we’ve hired 22 software developers in NZ who are solely working on DJ products. It won’t happen over night, but it is happening.

A personal option that you are of course more than entitled to, but there are many happy FX users on the X1800. If you have any specific suggestions on each individual effect please do let me know and I’ll be happy to pass them onto the dev team for consideration.

Would you be able to record a video of this, please?

I’d like to clarify here, are you saying you don’t use the beatgrids and would like the option to switch them off? A beatgrid is an essential roadmap not just for sync but also for effects, beat jump and other creative tools for DJs.

Agreed, this could have been done better and we’ve learned valuable info here, will have an update on this firmware very shortly.

Engine Prime will be getting more features, fixes and enhancements and we welcome any feedback to assist with this development. The more specific you can be, the better.

I’m afraid this has been out of our hands for a long time now and we’re hoping Native Instruments will have an update for this soon within Traktor.

I hope this has helped, please do let me know your thoughts and comments

Regards Jay

6 Likes

I think a lot of users in the forum have expressed the sentiment of not having a delay/echo effect with a long, sustained tail. I believe that effects such as flanger, transformer, etc are nice to have, but IMHO the really two important effects are reverbs and delays. Most DJs use these to blend two layers together, setting a delay with a long tail to one track, and creating some kind of pad from it that blends into the other track impregnating it with its harmonics… I can’t explain it very well in English, but I think that most DJs (at least techno and “trippy” music djs) can agree that reverbs and delays with long tails are maybe the most important FX in the unit.

The echoes and reverbs in the X1800 don’t serve to this purpose; their echoes are very short. It’s impossible (at least with my knowledge and skills) to create this “pad” I’m describing out of them.

As said, this has been pointed out by several users more than once in the forum.

Apart from this, I’d like to express that I have felt a bit disappointed that no new FXs or enhancements in these have been added in two years (other than the hallecho, that again, probably to my lack of understanding, I personally find useless in my sets). My expectations when I bought the system were that new FXs might have been added from time to time - maybe this is seen as a wrong expectation I had, but I recall videos by Laidback Luke and DJ tech tips suggesting this - that the X1800 had a flexible software layer and that we could expect more FXs with time. I understand it’s naive to expect updates adding new FXs every so often, but I’d find reasonable the addition of a long tailed echo due to its importance.

5 Likes

Totally agree with @garrapeta

1 Like

Yeah u are rigth. it’s not a disaster. But please put yourself in the situation of an end user. You spend a lot of money on a new system, hoping for great support and then comes for a long time nothing and then it’s rather a weak performance.

That’s why I’m really disappointed and had to let my frustration out.

Apart from that I think it’s good as you communicate here as a community manager at the moment

1 Like

Hey @Lotzo, I do understand the frustration, I really do.

I also appreciate you being vocal about these topics, as it gives us more insight into how DJs are feeling - happy or sad!

Let’s keep pushing forward, together!

Have a great weekend.

J

1 Like