Talkover button does nothing

So I’ve had my prime2 for a couple of months now and I finally got a decent microphone for it. Nothing too flashy just an Amazon knock off of a different microphone but when it’s plugged directly into my amp it sounds really decent so I went ahead and plugged it into the microphone combo input jack on the back of the prime unit and started using it in my twitch streams.

Took me a little bit to find the right settings to make myself sound good with the music and without and I’m still kind of working on that part but…

I was under the impression that the talk over button would duck the music 5 or 10 decibels automatically whenever the microphone input would sense enough of my voice…

Mine doesn’t seem to do anything

Like I noticed in the twitch stream that the music was not ducking and that I was having to manually turn the track down to talk over it.

So I started digging around in the settings and messed with a mic attenuation and realize that that was not what I wanted at all and put that back to zero.

But yeah, for the life of me I don’t understand what the talk over button is for if it doesn’t automatically duck the music down when you talk…

Did I get a second defunct unit as a trade-in for my first defunct unit??

Plus my knob that switches my headphones from the master to the cue has a horrible static in it…

But only when I’m turning the knob. Once I stop turning the knob and I’m listening to the master or a blend or the cue, everything sounds normal but as soon as I start turning the knob the headphones fill with a terrible static noise that almost drowns out the music…

Starting to get pretty upset that this is the unit they sent me to replace the one with the broken fader that they sent me after I gave them all that money.

Anyway is anybody else having issues with the talk over button or maybe am I using it wrong? Like do I have to set it up in the settings or preference menu in order to make it work?

Any help would be extremely appreciated…

Hey @DJ_Lys_2 Maybe this will help understand the “ducking” feature of the talkover button:Denon DJ

If this feature isn’t working, feel free to let me know.

So the article that you linked me to literally tells me to do that thing that I already told you that I’m doing in my original post. Pressing the talk over button in order to duck the music so I don’t have to yell into my mic or manually turn the volume of the track down.

Problem is, when I hit the talk over button it literally changes no volume of anything…

So I go through the utilities and settings menus and I found something called Mic attenuation. When I adjust this setting to negative 10 or -20 it literally just lowers the volume of the microphone through the master channels and not the music that needs to be ducked down so that the microphone can be more clearly heard…

Is there a different setting in the utilities menu that I need to be looking at?

I can’t seem to find documentation through Denon or through YouTube for that matter on the proper way to set up the talk over button to make it actually duck the music and not the microphone…

Hey @DJ_Lys_2
The Talkover should duck the master mix after you’ve engaged it. After reading your previous post have you tried turning up the level of your mic after engaging the talkover? Try keeping the mic attenuation at 0 and increasing the level of the mic to see if that has any effect. If that doesn’t work we’ll take a closer look with a technical support agent.

All turning up the microphone volume does is make me sound more distorted or not once it reaches a certain level… From what I come to understand we’re supposed to keep the microphone volumes to the level where the green light is fairly consistently lit whenever you’re talking… So that’s where my volume level of my microphone is set to…

I’ve tried turning it up and turning it down and all it does is make me get louder or quieter but it doesn’t affect the music at all.

My talk over button lights up and acts like it’s engaging but at no point does the volume of my master mix ever change at all whatsoever…

I’ve already had to send one unit back because of an up fader issue on the left side deck… Really not looking forward to sending another one back because of a broken talk over feature…

Hey @DJ_Lys_2 - You may want to consult with technical support in this case. Perhaps providing them with a video would be helpful as well. Anything to help determine the issue. Try submitting a ticket on our site and let me know how it goes. Would love to know what the issue is as well.

Yeah, I still haven’t been able to figure out why my talk over button doesn’t do anything at all…

But since I’ve updated to 2.2.2 my right side jog deck has been glitching and acting up…

Pretty sad that this is my second P2 already and I’ve been having nothing but problems with it…

I know I’m well beyond my warranty by now but it just ■■■■■…

Has there been some kind of report made about right hand jog decks messing up after the latest update because everything worked perfectly except for the talk over feature until this last update…

Now I’ll be in the middle of mixing and my right hand side will just stop for like a 16th of a second and then go again and I have to quickly jog myself back into place and finish the mix…

You have any idea how embarrassing that is when your DJing at a wedding and halfway through the mix your right side player just pauses for a fraction of a second and throws everything off and makes it sound like you don’t know what you’re doing…?

Cuz I’ll be more than happy to explain how embarrassed I was multiple times at my last event…

At one point they were giving speeches and I shut down my deck all together and started it back up because I thought maybe that would help… it did not…

(Also, I never got an email saying that anybody answered me on this topic 10 months ago… So, do with that information whatever you need to… but it sure would have been nice to know that somebody from in music was actually trying to help me…)

For real dude…?

Yeah it’s been over a year & my talk over button still doesn’t fcking work… And with the last several updates my right hand side player has been fcking up…

But instead of offering solutions you want to try to shame me because you don’t appreciate my language…

How about actually offering support? Is that too difficult?

F*ck…

1 Like

Nice of you to hide the post with a screenshot of you talking to me like trash…

Coward!

Have you contacted technical support and taken a video as Anthony has asked?

As for calling our moderator a coward, It was flagged by a separate user and I agreed that it was inappropriate. I did this because it was taken out of context as it referred to a completely different post than this one.

Edit: I’ve restored the post, as you feel that it helps your case. Personally I think it does not. Please review the community guidelines: FAQ - Engine DJ Community. If you are unable to comply with them, you may find yourself with a ban.

1 Like

I didn’t hide that post, so it is unhidden again for all to read.

I also will not lower myself to post all the “kind” stuff you said to me personally in DM either…

2 Likes

I guess de-escalation isn’t something you’ve ever learned in your life is it?

I didn’t come back here for over a year for a good reason and you just reminded me of what it is…

You act like elitist garbage… it had been so long I had forgotten. But thank you for the Stark reminder…

I will not be returning to the cesspit you call a help forum…