Sync options/settings

I watched a video where a DJ is playing the SC5000 while using the sync options https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkBclWT73Sk

I don’t want to start a discussion about using sync or not however the way his player react are different then mine, as it relates to sync.

Watch around 33:19

His set up, 1 deck is the master (white led is on) and on both decks the green led is also on.

Then he start to pitch bend to get it (better) in sync. When he does it both green sync leds continue to burn while when I do the same on the deck I’m applying the pich bend the green led starts to flicker.

Do I have a different setting and if so where can I apply this setting, to me it is not really clear how these sync settings work.

1 Like

I don’t have my SC5000’s in front of me, but I believe it really depends on the specific Sync setting you have selected in your preferences: Tempo Sync or Beat Sync. If memory serves me correctly (and I welcome anyone to please correct me if I’m wrong), this is how the two Sync Types function:

Tempo Sync matches the tempo (BPM) of the tracks playing on your SC5000 players. Note: while the tempos of both tracks may be equal, the beats may not necessarily be matched. This is option is for users who want their players to quickly match the tempo of Track A to Track B, but will handle the actual beatmatching manually. Basically, it saves time from having to adjust the pitchfader.

Beat Sync handles both the tempo (BPM) and beatmatching, so both tracks are playing at the same tempo and in time. Now, let’s say you touched the platter, used some Hot Cues without Quantize active, or maybe pressed the pitch bend buttons. As a result, the tracks would no longer be in time–they’re no longer in sync with each other. What you will notice when this happens is that the Sync button will blink. This is the hardware’s way of telling the user that their tracks are no longer beatmatched in time together so they best get to work or the crowd is going to start booing. :sunglasses:

Again, I don’t have my SC5000’s in front of me and am reciting this from memory. If your experience differs please let us know. And if another user on the forum would like to add anything or correct me, please do.

Cheers.

2 Likes

thanks @Lostnthesound for your prompt reply. There is also a 3rd sync option “bar sync” any thoughts what this one does.

The tempo sound like a nice addition. I just played with this one and indeed and adjust the BPM on the slave deck to the same BPM as the master deck.

The “beat sync” indeed behaves like you describe, although I would prefer the pion…r sync option no matter what you do it will sync to the closest beat. Normally you start a song with hitting the cue on beat and then push the play button whiel the song already plays while pressing the cue. When doing this the beat sync is switched off.

feedback on the bar sync would be appreciated as I didn’t really noticed any particular behaviour.

1 Like

Tempo sync: Just matches the tempo of two tracks. You’d have to pitch bend one deck to make the beats match.

Beat sync: Syncs the Players to the next beat (but no necessarily downbeat to downbeat). So you could end up having beat 1 of track one on beat 3 of track two (not in phase).

Bar sync: Matches the tempo and phase of both tracks. It will automatically snap the downbeat of the track you’re mixing in on the current track’s downbeat.

I’d use Tempo sync if I wanted to have some fun nudging the tracks until they’re synced (a little manual work without having to worry about finding the correct pitch setting).

Bar sync would be the auto pilot if I was lazy.

I can’t think of a scenario where I would use Beat sync, though. But maybe that’s just me.

4 Likes

in practice tho only tempo sync is usable because what beat and bar sync can’t do is listening to how it actually sounds. (goes for all dj softwares as well) in most cases you have to nudge a little to avoid things like phase cancellation or just getting the best sound. that’s different for every song and also every song you’re mixing into so that’s something that has to be done individually for every transition.

1 Like

You’re right in that the hardware can’t handle the task of actually listening to the tracks being played, but I have to respectfully disagree with your statement that tempo sync is the only usable function.

If the tracks being played/mixed are perfectly quantized (typical of most modern day pop/dance music, no matter the genre) _and_the beatgrids have been been properly aligned on each track, no nudging will be required and the risk of audio phase cancellation is minimal, even moreso if proper EQing has been applied. And, assuming the tracks were mixed starting at the beginning of a phrase, measure), their timing will be spot on.

True phase cancellation occurs when two sounds with identical frequencies are overlapped, resulting in silence. While it can happen, the more likely scenario would be frequency clashes, “muddy” audio and/or unwanted boosts in volume–for example, if two songs are mixed together that both have heavy kick drums pounding away. That said, we minimize such potential disasters via EQ manipulation (cutting the lows for kicks, mids for heavy synths/vocals, highs for hats/snare sizzle). This is all audio dependent and has nothing to do with synchronization, i.e., the sync preference being used, whether tempo, beat, bar, etc.

I want to reiterate that I’m not trying to bust balls here/disrespect anyone, rather, offer clarification to other users.

4 Likes

which as you said already applies to modern stuff only. and only the electronic modern mainstream. but (thankfully) there’s much more out there.

sure but since you wanna be nitpicky, i didn’t say anything about a total cancellation. every skilled dj can manually show you the different degrees of that. in fact if you have a good enough touch you can use that intentionally as a special effect. so yes, this obviously very much depends on synchronization. in such a case only eq cuts can fix it but as we all know cuts are poor from a musical point of view.

no offence of course, just trying to offer clarification to other users :wink:

Gotcha, I completely understand what you meant now. Appreciate the clarification. :+1:t2::beers:

hola a todos…en Pioneer cuando la luz del master sync esta encendida, los platos estan sincronizados, y se mueve el plato de la luz master sync encendida, se mueven los 2 platos se mueven a la vez, conjuntamente…en denon sc5000 prime no pasa eso…si se mueve el plato con la luz master encendida se desincronizan los dos…quisiera saber si existe una manera para que funcione como en pioneer cdj 2000nxs2…que cuando se mueva el plato con la luz encendida del master, se muevan los dos a la vez…muchas gracias

Google translate (part 2):

hello everyone … on Pioneer when the master sync light is on, the dishes are synchronized, and the dish of the master sync light is on, move the 2 dishes move at the same time together … on denon sc5000 prime no happens that … if the dish is moved with the master light on they will desynchronize the two … I would like to know if there is a way for it to work as in pioneer cdj 2000nxs2 … that when the dish is moved with the light on the master, move both at the same time … thank you very much

Hi! I need your help, i have the sc5000 with x1800 and i use « tempo sync » for change the style of music. I have 150bpm on my first deck and I have 80bpm on my deck 2 . When i use the « tempo sync » the deck 2 go to 150bpm but I want he go 75bpm and not 150bpm… i need this tricks because I want to do a mashup and I want to change the bpm at the same time when the two decks play. Can you help me ? Sorry for my english.

the tempo sync works as it should: it matches the new song (80BPM) by going up double to get to the 150 BPM of the current playing song.

So if you want to new song to be pitched up to 150 then you should switch of the sync mode (press shift-sync) and then manually pithc up to 150.

Or change the 80BPM track to 160BPM and drop it 10BPM, less pitch correction. Or, even better, turn off sync on the 80 BPM track and drop the BPM to 75 which will match.