Switching between Rane, Virtual DJ,without timecode

mrtyme209

Denon SC3900’s,Rane SL2,VDJ,Laptop,Reg Analog Mixer right now my set up iz = 2 denon sc3900’s, Laptop, Virtual DJ Pro Version 7, American Audio 14MXR. i came up on a good regular analog mixer & a Rane SL2. ive never did the tyme code thingy & i dont know how hybrid midi mode stuff works & what settings. whats the best way to hook up my new set up ? thanx for any & every help…

Dj-msx

Re: Denon SC3900’s,Rane SL2,VDJ,Laptop,Reg Analog Mixer You don’t need timecode, virtual dj works natively in ‘normal midi’ mode so no timecode or bodges or workaround needed. Make sure your copy of VDJ is up to date, plug in and go.

If you plan on switching away from midi mode (to play cd’s etc) then use a usb audio card in mixer or an external sound card instead so virtual DJ doesn’t get disconnected from sound card and stop playing when you change modes.

Also, since your laptop won’t know which deck is on the left or right, pressing eject button on one of the decks swaps the left and right decks on screen to match.

mrtyme209

Dj-msx wrote: You don’t need timecode, virtual dj works natively in ‘normal midi’ mode so no timecode or bodges or workaround needed. Make sure your copy of VDJ is up to date, plug in and go.

If you plan on switching away from midi mode (to play cd’s etc) then use a usb audio card in mixer or an external sound card instead so virtual DJ doesn’t get disconnected from sound card and stop playing when you change modes.

Also, since your laptop won’t know which deck is on the left or right, pressing eject button on one of the decks swaps the left and right decks on screen to match.

so your saying i dont need the (rane SL2) just plug my 3900’s in to the (Analog mixer) it does not come with an sound card and the two 3900’s into my laptop? i thought i had to go from 3900’s to searto box to laptop and had to use the sound card from the sl2 and not the 3900’s sound cards ?

Dj-msx

How do you see yourself using it when it’s setup? If you want to switch modes on the sc3900’s during the night then your virtual dj setup will be deck 1 = external sound card asio channels 1/2, and deck 2= external sound card asio channels 3/4.

This gives you two lots of RCA from virtual dj, and 2 from 3900’s (for cd’s etc) to go to your mixer. Plus obviously the usb cable from 3900 to pc.

Or

Usb cable to each 3900, and RCA from each 3900 to mixer using the Denon asio driver to play through the players. Will cause virtual DJ to stop if you change a player away from midi mode though, so only suitable if you plan on using VDJ for the whole night.

mrtyme209

dont plan on using any cd’s. 100% laptop / virtual DJ. but didnt want to use the sound card from the denons. wanted to use the soundcard from the Rane SL2. so whats the best way to hook it all up ? as in do i have to go into the settings on the 3900’s to change something ? do i have to use hybird midi mode ?

tsisoundsystem

you have a choice of software that you can use with your present gear: 1 you can use vdj 2 you can use serato dj or the older one scratch live

each one would have a different setup.

vdj does not need an interface to work in will work with two sound cards. and you 2 on the mixer, 1 each on the 3900’s and 2 on the sl2. the sl2 need not be connected for this.

serato dj or scratch live you would need an interface. the sl2 is that interface. this is were you would need time code or hybrid midi if you when to control the software.

you can look on the 3900 forum page for the way to do the setup i would advice to get a powered usb hub for the 3900’s and for any other usb device or gear for best performance.

mrtyme209

i would advice to get a powered usb hub for the 3900’s and for any other usb device or gear for best performance. right now i already have an usb powered hub. main thing im doing is getting rid of my American Audio 14mxr (replacing it with an 2 channel numark analog mixer) and adding in the rane SL2 as an sound card. because other 3900’s users on the VDj website says they have problems using the 2 3900’s as the sound set up & that they use an separate sound card thats why i got the SL2. dont plan on using scratch live or serato dj im 100% VDJ

tsisoundsystem

use the American Audio 14mxr as the sound card. it will work and you can also use it to control vdj.

Dj-msx

I regularly use the sc3900s sound card with VDJ, whenever visuals (video mixing, etc) or lighting control (passing cues to freestyler dmx software) are required. I use engine the rest of the time, but when using virtual dj the only time I had a problem was caused by a power cut!

But if you really want to use your sound card then choose external mixer - your sound cards asio driver - and ch 1/2 = left deck, ch3/4 = right deck on the VDJ audio settings.

From memory I think that if you go through the 3900s menu you will need to make sure midi channel is on channel 1 (channel 1 on both decks), and pc/mac set to pc.