Switched from NXS2 system to Denon SC5000’s and Rane MP2015

I think it totally comes down to the preferred way of mixing and the style of music that you play. For me, nothing beats the precision of the rotary knobs. I’m sometimes missing a crossfader to do some cuts, though.

There would be a cool way to combine both mixing styles (cutting and blending). Maybe in the next iteration of a Rane high end mixer.

Does anyone of you Denon guys have a contact to the Rane division?

I understand that. I always seem to have too few hands when playing. Being able to work two faders with one hand is more important to my workflow than absolutely precision. And tried as I have, I never managed to work two rotary knobs with one hand :stuck_out_tongue:.

X1800 to session input of the 2015 and I think we have the greatest of both worlds. I have the digital spdif outs of the sc5000 connected to the 2015 and the analog rca outs to the 1620; If I get an x1800 to satisfy the need for line/faders id go digital to the x1800 and analog to the 2015. Session input also has spdif so you can go digital from x1800 to the mp 2015 and…oh dear I can have my Urei 1620, MP2015 and an x1800 connected if desired.

Hmmm seriously considering the x1800 and How to space out my workspace right now.

Stay tuned…

That’s very interesting.

I started out as a young dj in the early 80’s using all kinds of crappy line mixers by Gemini and Numark, around 86/87 is when I experienced the Urei 1620, at 16 years old I fell in love. I also played on Ranes mp24 (best sounding line mixer by far that i played in at the time) and was a staple in so many clubs and much later on early 2000 the Rane MP 2016 with the expanded eq/fader; it didn’t come close to the sound and feel of the Urei but it also became a fixture in many clubs; the pots certainly weren’t black beauties and I just couldn’t appreciate them mixer as much as others did. The MP2015 took some warming up. Last year if we had this conversation i had a very different view of this mixer. The success with the sc5000 that I also didn’t like at first made me give the MP2015 a second try and I’m in digital rotary Heaven with its analog Urei 1620 brethren attached to the session input on the 2015.

No question if i were to get a line fader mixer, it would be the x1800 hands down. Denon have made us a mixer that we can upgrade and receive new features that weren’t there before (new effects). Excellent build quality. Fader curve adjustments.
Definitely designed to evolve with every dj’s style.

What I can say about the model 1 is that i appreciated It more in the clubs sounds system than I did at home. The ars 3500 as small as it is had a very loud and hard undistorted bass that requires very little to achieve. The model 1 track to track kept me busier than I wanted to to achieve my sound but when you nail it it’s definitely something the dj appreciates more than the crowd will. The MP2015 just seemed second nature to me, I can achieve my sound quickly, it isn’t as hard as the ars3500 but it kicks one in the face nicely. Almost like the different sound between the bozak and the Urei. Like the tr 808 (with and ever so slight decay) and 909 tuned to closely match one another if that makes any sense.

I haven’t yet heard the x1800 at home or on club sound system, just at trade shows and store presentations. Given a choice between the nexus 2 and the x1800 though I’m sure there’s no contest if it’s snyyhing like what i experienced going from the cdj 2000 nxs2’s to the sc5000’s.

i still have one and use it occasionally. mostly for house :smiley:

1 Like

Nice setup I’m now convinced to get the SC5000

That’s what’s up!

Still having as good a time as the first day I played on them.

Here’s a cue point demo (Denon gives you the choice between momentary/gated and continuous play for the cues form The setup/utility menu).

3 deck mixing with the sc5000’s Rane mp2015, Pioneer Rmx 1000 (Denon DJ really needs to make an effects processor; the rmx has no flange effect- wink wink); anyway 3 deck mixing with the sc5000’s is so easy, (how easy?) Glad you asked! It’s so easy you can do it with one hand and use your other hand to film it with the iPhone like i did in this video.

Was really testing out the mix bus channel for the echo effect and the quality of pots fading in and out, overall feel of the knobs with the O-Rings, and also keeping an eye on the peaks/headroom as I mixed all three together.

Pretty neat. The system components seem to fit together well. Works seemlessly.

2 Likes