Streaming Service Load Times over 4G

Decided to connect the SC5000 to the hotspot on my phone. Recorded the track load times for Soundcloud, Beatsource, and Beatport to see if tethering at a gig would be achievable. It definitely is.

Can’t wait to see DJ’s at pro gigs sweating like pigs when they realize that connection to celltowers in most venues is shaite.

Brave man, I’ve done a few live streams when 1 deck has dropped off the WiFi and I amount of resetting has got it back quickly, so had to resort to 1 deck mixing (pre-dual waveform too). Didn’t make for a pleasant experience!

Don’t want to be negative here, but there is a catch… How many people with active 3/4/5G and wifi had You on that test? Put this on a gig with 10000+ people in front of a stage, and nothing will be as smooth as is on the test. Did networking on stage a lot in my life, not only internet, but simple DMX via wifi or other media… All works great until You get 2000 people with cell phones in front of You…

Tbh it doesn’t take 2000 people, all it takes is one shaite-head with a pocket wifi jammer angry at you that he did not get that gig. And I see a flood of new Denon DJ’s buying this equipment specifically because they want to stream. They will stream at home, see that it’s good, not invest in downloaded tracks, then get a gig and go and try to do that in a venue. They will do it 5-10-50times until it all goes to crap that one time when something like this happens.

Streaming is not a pro option (yet!) and some people will learn that the hard way.

I’m not sure with being hardwired into the network it ever would be (and bizarrely I don’t think we can do that with the Denons, it has to be WiFi), and even then you’d be an idiot not to have back up disks (as now with spare USBs).

You can have hard wire internet instead of Wifi with the Denons.

Plug them into a router and test for yourself.

If using them with the X1800, plug the wired ethernet into the X1800 PC Lan and voila wired internet and jammers can jam all day long.

I hope this was what you were saying

Asides though, why would anyone use streaming in a 2000 - 10000 person event. Thats mad no

I’ve tried that as I have one that is constantly falling down but nothing connected, or do you mean at the expense of linking them together via the X1800 and direct from the back of the SC5000? I haven’t tried that, but wouldn’t see that as a feasible solution personally.

If you can hardwire from the X1800, please let me know what I’m doing wrong as I’d love to be able to do that!

Edit - I’ve tried that, I must be doing something wrong somewhere, I shall try again!!! Thanks…

5000 >> X1800 << 5000 is connected up normally with your link cables in the correct ports so they can be networked

Then connect your X1800 to wired ethernet

@Reese set up is hard wired ethernet

1 Like

Because we will have increasingly bigger and bigger number of DJ’s who will rely only on streaming and they will get booked for bigger and bigger gigs. Hell, I’ve seen folks bring their DDJ-SB and hook it into the house mixer line in on a 1200+ person event. With NXS2 moved to make room. Simple 2 deck mixing. It’s not that hard for me to imagine streaming also tbh.

1 Like

I respect those type of DJ as they are bringing in what they are comfortable with to give the paying customers the best version of their performance and not giving a hoot about the stares of death other djs on the stage will give.

But streaming is like taking it to a whole different level. Maybe with the Locker service.

1 Like

I’ll try that at lunch, I’ve definitely tried that before though.

Do we have to activate anything on the decks themselves to tell it to use Ethernet rather than WiFi?

Test with Wifi OFF

Just done it, feel like a right fool now :man_facepalming:t3:

Thanks @mufasa hopefully that’s the last time Beatport Link goes down!!!

1 Like

This is correct. Ethernet port PC to central network. Players on one of the other 4 port depending on channel layout.

Yeah, works perfectly now. Not sure why it didn’t, but am so grateful of this thread as the load time has massively improved!

1 Like

The locker function is now in Serato DJ and suppose one day will make its way over as you may as well do it right, right?

3 Likes

I’ll give it a crowd test on st. Paddy’s Day to see how it holds up. Having backups is just a normal part of deejaying anyway. :wink:

1 Like

I figured out that you have to turn on the mixer first, wait a moment and then turn the players on.

Otherwise they are just linked together but the internet is not working.

1 Like

That would make sense as an explanation.