SSD vs HDD speed function

Hello everybody, Just a request… I am using an extern Samsung SSD as main Source and have a backup on an extern HDD. It seems that there is nearly no speed difference. What’s your experience?

Addition: Anyone using a 512 GB USB-Stick? Which one?

When using WAV, a 5 minute track is ~50MB, the speed difference between a HDD and an SSD when loading a single file of that size is hardly noticeable.

I use a 1TB USB3 HDD as my main source, and a 64GB USB3 stick - I don’t notice any difference in loading speeds between the two. I think the main benefit of using SSD is that they are less susceptible to vibration and more reliable when being chucked in a bag and carried around.

should not be noticable as the speed of a HDD is much higher then what is required, a FLAC/WAV file of 50-100MB is transferred in seconds.

The speed of a SSD is overkill vs the “lower” speed of a HDD, but the biggest advantage of a SSD is that it has no moving parts.

I use 2 500GB portable HDD’s USB3, the USB3 is great when transferring a lot of data from the PC/MAC to the drives, but not needed for performance on the players.

Why not compare the drives using the benchmark app for Windows:

http://www.denondjforum.com/t/which-usb-flash-drive-for-djing/9212

SSD is better like you said against vibrations. Furthermore it’s faster when preparing the collections on your computer.

On the player there will be less difference speed wise.

1 Like

The main speed advantage an SSD offers over an HDD is that there is no physical read head that needs to go to the physical location on a disk to read the necessary data. The SSD can read directly from memory as there are no moving parts. This would typically benefit search times on the drive or when a lot of small files need to be retrieved.

On the flipside SSDs are a lot less geared towards many read/write cycles. So best used for write once/read many applications.

They have 10,000 read/write cycles in them though, so not something that most people will need to worry too much about!!