SSD drive not Available on second SC5000 player

Hello, I use an Samsung portable SSD T3 USB drive with all my music. I used it a few times on my SC5000 players without any problem.

Now I’d plug inn again in player 1 and the drive shows not Available on my second player. When I switched the USB drive to player 2 I get the same message on player 1.

What happend? Why my SSD drive is not Available on the second player?

There could be several reasons eg: networking cable etc however one possibility is that the largest database size which can currently be shared between players is roughly 2.4gb.

Once your database file gets above that figure/size roughly, then you’d need to put one drive on each player.

Firmware changes removing that 2.4gb limit are being worked on but there’s no set date on that.

Another option would be to delete the database and switch off auto analyse in Engine Prime. This way your database file size would be zerod and would only increase as you analyse a file that the sc5000 loads, to play.

Thanks for your support. 2,4 GB that is very Little! I hope Denon will introduce firmware changes for this soon. But ok. I believe it’s better to use one drive in each player. Even if 1 usb stick breaks you have always back up.

Be aware that this is 2.4GB for the DATABASE, that is WITHOUT your music tracks!

Not sure how much data is in the database per track, but that is still a LOT of tracks.

Ok! Thanks Thats another thing. Now I looked @ the folder ‘Engine Library’ and I see that it is 2,84 GB. That means that this folder is too big. My music drive is too big! I know that I need to throw away many of my tracks I never use. :smiley:

Here’s my personal take on collections and such. Bear in mind that I AM a mobile DJ, so the “never can have enough tracks’-syndrome is in my DNA. In the old days that was still limited by what you could financially afford and physically transport and lift. At the height of vinyl I think I may have had maybe 1500 tracks over compilation albums, full artist albums, 7” and of course 12" copies. I would generally not carry it all with me to every gig. Then came CD’s. The number of tracks in a (really big and heavy and wheeled) cd-flightcase would run up into the 10.000. But we already needed a laptop to find tracks.

Then came DJ software and big hard disks. The sky now is the limit. And that is -imho- one of the biggest pitfalls for modern DJs. We tend to collect everything we remotely like, toss it loosely into the collection in case we might want to play it some day. In doing so I started losing two key talents that helped me get to where I am today. The first is the vetting process. If a single CD-single track is well north of 10 bucks, you think twice, three times and sometimes more before deciding a track is actually so good you are willing to pay it because you know you are going to play it. Collections tended to grow at a very slow pace when serious money was involved. The second is preparing a crate for a gig. Why would you worry about what to take with you if you can have everything you own with you. Nice and logical as that seems, it actually deteriorates your performance. As they say: “failing to prepare is preparing to fail”. And packing a crate was always a great way to prepare. Picture the party in your head, figuring out what kind of event and expected crowd, finding that right mix between openers and floorfillers, classics, current chart hits and new emerging stuff. Making sure that lots of your chosen tracks would work good together. And having about twice as much music with you as you might need.

A long preamble to my semi on-topic point. If you have a core collection of somewhere around 1000-1500 tracks that you know intimately, have completely prepped with tags, correct beatgrids, cues and loops, etx, you can take that everywhere with you on a simple usb stick, without worries about database sizes, music size, FAT32 limitations and what have you. You would still make a gig stick out of that collection by way of preparation. This would give you a primary stick to use for the gig, with the complete collection on the stick in the other player, just in case you didn’t pack a track you figure would work wonderfully well.

Finally you can keep that big bulk of tracks for requests in a collection on its own external HD/SSD WITHOUT analysing it. Just have your track names, tags and such set correctly. The database for it won’t be very big and these tracks, played as requests will more often than not need no beatgridding or cue points.

I don’t have the Prime setup (yet!) but this will be my workflow for them. A big old disk with all those tracks I collected over the years for request purposes, my full core collection on a 32GB stick and my gig stick with the crates for that set on another 32GB stick.

Just my two cents worth as usual.

5 Likes