Speed of SCX000/M Ethernet ports?

Howdy folks,

Are the ports on the SC systems 100MB/s? I ask b/c I’ve plugged my 6000Ms and 5000s (i own two of each) to two different type of gigabit switches using CAT6 cables, and each of these switches register 100MB/s when connected to the decks. Connecting to a gigE computer registers gigabit connection no issues.

Thoughts?

Gentle bump :slight_smile:

Another bump as I want to know as well. Internet and official website say nothing about the speed of the ethernet port.

All is 100Mbit.

1 Like

Makes sense why the devices choke when 4 decks feed off of one. :disappointed:

100Mbit is about 12MB per second. So a WAV of FLAC file loads to the device in memory in a few seconds. An MP3 in a second.

After that there’s only Engine Connect info transported. I cannot say it chokes on my end with 3 more or less active decks. Usually 2 decks and 4 layers btw.

Well thats kind of sad to hear that they didnt just use gigabit ethernet, since the standard is moving to 2.5 and 10 already…

I haven’t had any problem with 2 players and 4 decks either, but isn’t the system officially rated and marketed for supporting up to 8 decks? So it should also handle that and I can see the LAN port becoming a bottleneck then. I know this is a theoretical thing since no one needs 8 DJ player decks anyway I think ^^

It is not streaming audio, so it’s a momentary data transfer to memory for the most part.

(To compare a bit: LG OLED 4K TV’s and the other brands (at least until 2019, don’t know after that) used 100Mbit LAN ports as well. Try to play a 4K movie from the network on those speeds… that engineer should have been fired or shot even. I had to move to a wifi which was faster on the TV to stream those movies before moving to an nVidia Shield Pro.)

I have experienced so many weird things and maybe it’s not the network. 100MB/s should be fast enough - maybe. Perhaps it’s the architecture / implementation of the software or network protocols?

Things I continue to experience:

• loading playlists takes a long time
  • some decks lose all sync functionality for no reason and when re-engaging, they can’t unless I unmount and re-mount the primary
  • screen lag / stuttering / jank
  • delays in previewing tracks: the larger the list, the longer it takes to queue up a preview and jump around
  • decks randomly stop allowing for touch input. Hard buttons work fine. It’s as if the event loop stops working for some reason.
  • random sync dilation: sometimes decks just stutter / lose sync lock and need to be trimmed hard or cut from a mix.
  • after loading a track remotely, needle dropping to far ahead, the waveform display lags significantly.

I have four SC6000ms hard wired connected to an isolated 1GB switch using cat 5e. Sometimes I mix all 4 decks at the same time.

Many of my sets are 2-5hrs long. Perhaps I am too demanding of this hardware.

True, but if you’re loading many tracks in fast succession it’s definitely too slow, therefore can not provide the advertised featureset (up to 8 (p)layers), which I find odd. Like I said, I can neither test this, nor it’s a problem for the average 3-4 deck user including me. Still there are so many great things that can be done via LAN so having some wiggle room to implement is a great thing, unless… planned obsolescence.

That’s pretty poor of TV manufacturers as well… but I guess with users having no clue what planned obsolescence is sold to them it works just great for them to make more money. That doesn’t mean I will stop criticising hardware fails like that since gigabit ethernet really doesn’t cost anything anyway compared to 100 MBit. Only legit reason to not include this would be if the 3288 SoC doesn’t support it, what would have warranted to update to a newer one in the 6000 series.

Also theres more differences:

• TVs don’t have to have to load data to up to 7 other devices but only for themselves.
  • The source material on streaming services is waaaaay better compressed than your average music. It’s probably only about double the bitrate of uncompressed audio (aiff: 14xx Kbit/s, HD stream about 3000 Kbit/s, 4K about 5 or 6k)
  • Therefore the interface on the denons needs to be 2-3.5 (or with overhead etc probably 4) times faster to deliver the same performance while transferring data. This is if everything is handled optimal by the software, which I seriously doubt, else it gets even “worse” for the denon player.

Just curious, is it also 802.11 g Wifi or did we get n? Certainly not ac or ax, right?

Some people are just looking for “maybe” problems, which aren’t there.

1 Like

WiFi speed or type I don’t know. I know it might not be sufficient at one point, but it is for the near future.

I’m in IT and we’re pushing 25, 40 or 100 Gbit. There’s always something to find when that’s not enough.

As for the TV remark. I don’t play compressed streams like Netflix etc. but the ehm large stuff so… It is a constantly needed datastream and that is different to the temporary large data needs of the Engine protocol.

Edit: seems that 2022 TV’s of several brands are still having an ethernet port at 100Mbit…

1 Like

Small correction here - The players themselves have Gigabit ethernet. However the hub in the X1800/X1850 runs at a 100baseTX speed.

4 Likes

No, some people are looking for the future. And the poorer hardware is the earlier it will be obsolete, dead simple.

Hm so only Denon mixer users get handicapped?! Seems even weirder to me, but Im fine with that since I dont use one of those.

1 Like

It doesn’t appear to be the case in this particular thread. Indeed, on this thread, like several others, you seem to just be arguing - for the sake of arguing.

2 Likes

FWIW. Performance issues are usually storage or database related.

2 Likes

I have fast SSDs installed in two of my players (2nd one is a mirror of the first in case the primary one crashes).

I think you are likely onto something as the DB is used to store blobs for things like track waveforms and images. Blobs are notoriously slow.

What’s your source? I don’t see anything online that is published that speaks to this :relaxed:

Did it also appear that things arent always as they appear? :smiley: Indeed they are not:

I think his source is that hes Denon Dj Staff?! ^^

2 Likes

Thank you for this. Didn’t see that. Would be great to see the published info too :grin:

1 Like