Soft Takeover Request

• What is the feature or ability you would like to have?

An option to not have to move the pitch/tempo slider to its original position when switching back to that layer.

Example: after bringing in a new track on Layer B and switching back to Layer A (for mix out), I would prefer Layer A’s pitch/tempo slider location to be adjustable from Layer B’s current location, and NOT have to move it back to its original location before adjustments can be made…

• How will this feature help you and others?

It will be helpful to keep things moving quick without having to worry about returning the pitch to the absolute position for any tempo changes.

I would use it all the time, and if I run out of slider space, I would hold shift and pull the fader back up and continue from there this is helpful when making huge tempo transitions

• Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product?

No

• Does a workaround currently exist?

Not that I’m aware of.

• How often would you use this feature?

All day, every day

• Is there any additional information you’d like to add?

I request this as an option.

5 Likes

This is already requested here

https://community.enginedj.com/t/relative-pitch-tempo-fader-behaviour-with-no-soft-takeover/14516?u=mufasa

That’s what I was thinking when I made the request…

Didn’t have time to check, so I’ll close this one. Thanks Mufasa, as always!

@tonelab77, please add to the likes and/or comment to the original request. Thanks.

EDIT: Reopened. Let’s see were this goes. The core of these similar requests is to be able to disable/enable soft-takeover.

1 Like

I really hope Denon addresses this in the near future. It’s a real PITA mixing on only one deck, when the layers are really closely matched (tempo-wise), then being required to move the pitch slider back to it’s original position when switching back to a previous layer BEFORE being able to make pitch adjustments, because the user overshoots the original location 99 times out of 100, which in turn causes the layer to drift because there’s no indication of exactly where the original position is, other than the arrow indicating you’re not there yet. The only way to somewhat minimize this is to move the slider VERY slowly until you trigger the original position, which is very time consuming, especially in high pressure situations, where time is of the essence, and even then, a slight drift can still occur when you overshoot.

I’m a bit confused about the term “soft takeover”

That was my understanding of the terminology

For those unfamiliar with soft takeover , it allows absolute controllers (i.e. non-motorized faders and any regular knob that’s not an endless rotary encoder) to work smoothly with your DAW without unwanted nasty jumps which would happen after parameters in the software are modified by the mouse or automation and therefore no longer match the hardware.

At the moment, Studio One only supports direct mapping, in other words, whenever there is disagreement between the software and the hardware, the hardware always “wins”. For example, if we assign a hardware knob to control a parameter called “Filter Frequency” and then we change the parameter value with the mouse, effectively causing disagreement between software and hardware, if we then move the hardware knob the software parameter will “jump” instantly to match the value sent by the knob. This jump can result in all sorts of undesirable results such as messing up a mix or an instrument patch. The purpose of soft takeover is mainly to eliminate these jumps. With soft takeover enabled, users must move the hardware knob or fader until it its value “matches” the software, at which point the software parameter starts following the hardware.

I pulled that from a different forum.

Another source

Going by that explanation, it means the Prime series currently have Soft Takeover on the pitch fader…

1 Like

Yeah. It’s already got soft takeover

That’s exactly what’s happening. If the position of the layer with the takeover active could instead set the pitch location to the current slider location, no matter where it is, I would be completely satisfied with dual layer functionality. Dual layer functionality is THE reason I bought the SC5000. It’s still very usable, but it adds another challenge when mixing, that I would really prefer not to deal with.

DENON, if you are reading this, PLEASE fix this. This is HUGE. Fixing this would truly make it so that you could mix with one deck, without the added unnecessary challenge/obstacle. I’m sure it could be remedied quite easily. Thank you!