Slow searching database on Prime 4

Hi - had the Prime 4 since Jan 20, but most of the time since coming out of the pandemic I’ve been using it with Virtual DJ, although did use as a standalone for a few weeks at the start.

With the release of 2.0 I decided to give standalone another go and use my normal database of about 60,000 tracks. Ran all through Engine DJ beforehand and put on a WD 2TB SSD. I’m finding that, for the first 5 or 6 songs that I search for may take 4 or 5 seconds to find, after that, searched are taking much longer, 8,9 or 10 seconds. I’m used to instant results from Virtual DJ, but could cope with 3 seconds or so, but 8 - 10 seconds is far too long. In the pressures of finding tracks when running out of time, it’s just not quick enough. I know my database is fairly big, but this reflects the multi genres that I do with bar / mobile gigs.

I thought that 2.0 was meant to be quicker, but doesn’t seem that way.

2 Likes

I updated my Prime 4 on Thursday and had a party on Saturday…I usually don’t like to update software so close to an event, but I did it anyways. During the event I noticed the same thing you are describing. Whenever I searched for a track, it will take a long time to find it. I also have a large database, but I know for a fact that in previous version 1.6 the search was a lot faster. With that said, I played for about six hours and I didn’t have any other issues.

1 Like

I noticed the slow search too and it seemed to be particularly bad if I didn’t type the whole word I was looking for, so for example if I wanted to find “Earth Wind & Fire - September” and just searched for “septem” then it took a good 10 seconds to come back. Entering the whole word “september” it was quicker, much the same as 1.6.2 I think, but the partial word searches were never noticeably slow for me before 2.0.

This is a strange one. I’ve just made a new Hard Drive with about 20000 tracks. When it’s first booted up, the search is pretty much instant. After I’ve been using it for about 15 minutes or so, the search then slows right down. If I reboot the Prime 4 and search again, it’s back to being fast again. I can’t remember whether 1.6.2 was the same as it’s been a while since I used it. Can anyone else try to see if it gets worse after being used for a while? Denon, could this be a memory issue with the unit?