Showstoppers and Issues with SC5000M

Hi @TheHrdRebel - Sorry to hear of the trouble with your SC5000M and your dissatisfaction with our service. I am happy to hear that they were able to assist you with your X1800 mixer.

As some of the SC5000M issues noted above happen randomly, it’s probable that they just didn’t show themselves in our test environment. It’s unfortunate, but does happen.

That said, I’d be happy to have our team take a second look at your case to investigate further. Please send me a DM with your contact info and I will have one of the service team managers reach out to see how we can resolve this for you.

We want you to enjoy using our products, so I hope you’ll give us another opportunity to make this right.

All the best,

Jason

3 Likes

People will tell you “I don’t have these problems, so they don’t exist”. But let me tell you… I encounter a lot of your problems consistently and I knew it was only a matter of time before more people encountered them as well. The more people find out about these products, the more these issues will raise concern.

I consistently encounter these same problems you have described: needing to restart the players due to glitching, the (!) quality stream mismatch, LAN issues (this happens frequently), touch screen lag, and instant doubles issue (this happens A LOT).

Here is a link to a lot of my main issues, however, every issue I’ve encountered is not listed here - Massive List of SC5000 Issues (all with video evidence)

EDIT: To me, these issues aren’t common with most people because they don’t use their units for 8+ hours at a time. When I DJ’d a recent wedding, the units were on for 10 hours and I could list a handful of issues I encountered by the end of the night. Additionally, I’m convinced most people aren’t sporadically mixing with all 4 decks, for hours on end, super quick. I believe these factors contribute to a lot of these issues; the long term hardcore mixing on them is where these issues shine.

You’re probably right. I spend about 2hrs at a time once a week. This is because I spin and practice on a different platform. I don’t take the Denon’s out.

I did give your thread a like awhile ago cause I experienced a couple of your issues.

just tell me more about it pls

IT credentials paired with technical understanding is very helpful. To make it clear: I’m in the Entertainment / Event Industry over 30 years. I started deejaying with 13 and my first pro CD-Player was a Denon DN-2700F. Most people didn’t know that Denon was the club standard everywhere before the other japanese company joined the competition. The very first Plasmascreens and CDJs 2gether with DJM in Europe were introduced on my loveparade truck with them as main sponsor in the nineties. yes we’ve gone a very long way. We also did one of the bigger events around the loveparade with more than 18k visitors and over 150 Artists. That time Denon came up with a vinyl turntable. We wanted to run these units at the mainstage. During soundcheck we encountered so many problems that the only solution was to buy another set of Technics. Due to this experience Denon redesigned the platter. First workaround from Denon was a kind of Anti-vibration film as isolation that was glued under the rotating platter, but that didn’t solved it. Apart from these problems and a misaligned laser in the DN-2700F, up to date we have not had such negative experiences as with the last Prime Setup I ordered (and we had a lot stuff from all well-known manufacturers with us).

Don’t guess me wrong, as I bought my first prime setup during the Player & Mixer promotion, I ordered it to just give it a try, but really not expecting much. What happened in the first few hours, I instantly felt in LOVE with these units especially the M’s in particular, felt like they came from another galaxy simple out of another world with it’s rugged solid haptics. Woow, compared to the plastic crap on competitor units, absolutely nothing beats this solid steel / metal finish. Even the defect mixer without a functioning oled display and bad sound couldn’t deceive that. I was so lovedrunken that I immediately ordered a second setup (yes true, I had the pink glases on). The DoA mixer was later exchanged by Denon with a new unit. Took very long but I thought it was a coevid thing. Since I felt in Love, I have always tried hard to convince everyone of these cool devices and tried to reach out everything possible with these units.

All or nothing, it was time to face the facts: I decided to stick with my new love and I changed my rider. Afterwards I sold all the other stupid stuff from the competitors that feels so outdated. I swore myself to never go back and use it again.

Some friends and several of our Artists jumped up with me on the prime train (perhaps they had no choice, cause i was talkin’ anytime so much about my love). Sorry for that guys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: At our events I forced them to play with it. Voluntarily or reluctantly everyone had to deal with it because I only set up denon devices in the dj booth. @NoiseRiser Can you remember the discussons we had with several Artists? :blush:

Than in November 2020 I ordered my third prime setup and the total odyssee as already described in this post, begun.

I am convinced that both players have hardware-based errors. Of course, it is conceivable that certain errors are software-based, but why don’t they appear in the same way on all other devices in my Circle of Friends?

Don’t look to much - Fix it. DM is incomin’ later.

very easy: exchange both crappy units with new ones

We want nothing more as enjoy fully working units to it’s best. We’ll be very proud to show these in public on main stages and what creativity it can unleash.

@JWiLL I am extremely confident that we can find a good solution together.

Jason fully parole granted. We assure, nobody will blame if accidentally a bigger 6 is emblazoned on the units instead of the smaller 5 :innocent:

1 Like

Yes, I do, and I did many dj routines to show the potential of the equipment to the guys. Show the differences and how much fun it is to play. Every my set was precisely planned at least week before the show. I also loaded my own money in 4 deck setup for that purpose and showed Denon dj on every gig - it is in my rider. Also I got invited with my booking manager to Denon dj Berlin office, to make a lifestream (not happened due to covid - maybe next time). In November 2020 there was something wrong with the decks, but I thought, that was the stress only due to the covid issues and Police visiting the party to check if we follow the safety rules (no one got a problem so we carried on).

@JWiLL if possible, I would also want to talk about some issues that came out (not technical - just business-wise - since Frank left I got left with no contact, no response to my emails) if You got a moment for me, please…

It’s original intent was to protect from accidentally pulling out the power cord.

Everybody here are engineers, technicians, and an It experts. Just so you know.

@djbertie did a good job logging his issues in.

Hi, I was hoping to see if either you could please help me with a couple questions, or if you can point me to an actual Denon DJ technician please? Im trying to figure out how to update the firmware to the newest firmware, & also, was trying to see if anyone knows how to set the Denon SC-5000M for skratching please. Like, I know how to get around the instrument okay now, or I’m gettn there, at least…lol… But, im very new with this instrument, & could really use a quick one on one with someone who really knows there ■■■■, thanx mate,your the best, & your appreciated…:+1::pray::notes::earth_americas:

I would read that Statement as great news really. Your decks are not just connected to your mixer by audio cables, but by network cables too. More than audio is being shared live between the three pieces of hardware, data is being shared too.

All that data passes back and forth through the mixer and they found a fault with the mixer and they didn’t just repair it, they swapped it out for a whole replacement mixer.

Did you read this part of the original post?

In terms of the SC5000m some errors also occur when the players are directly connected to each other or even in standalone operation without an Ethernet cable connected, it is technically impossible that these errors are caused exclusively by the X1800 mixer.

With all the issues mentioned above, it really looks like a hardware issue indeed (CPU problem or whatever). Although it is hard to believe that the same kind of issue is present on both units then. However, it is not impossible. Imagine both units were manufactured in same batch, with same parts batch used from supplier which may have the same kind of issue then. Could be a single part, e.g. a capacitor which either wrong type used during production or which does not meet the specs, causing supply voltage instability (just an example, there are thousands of other possibilities) which may also be related to temperature so it may not be easy to diagnose on the test bench.

TL;DR: Although unlikely, it is not impossible that both units have same kind of hardware issue.

When I played on that event we had an Xone 92 mixer plugged in. So hard to say, that X1800 caused anything. I didn’t experience any dropouts but the decks seem to be a bit slow. Not like usually when I play on my decks, that are lightning fast. @TheHrdRebel decks were acting like with a delay that night… I was thinking it was my own fault that something was not right, got very confused… Anyway, that night was full of odds :smiley:

I remember an event earlier I broke a drive in a laptop only because of vibration. Also had a couple of times usb disconnected and reconnected only by the bass. That was a wild set, but then we used a different pair of decks, or were these the same?

My first thought, hairline cracks on pcb’s. After @NoiseRiser mentioned that these units reacting slower than others, maybe really a flawed cpu batch or inconsistent memory could be responsible for it. Perhaps it is possible that a malfunctioning or to small dimensioned inbuild power supply causes some of the issues, just a faulty capacitor could be enough. In worst case all comes together. Remember Murphy’s law.

yes both units came out of the same batch, nearly identical serialz ending - 3436 & - 3446

true, several issues are identical some differ

We had luckily spare units around. At one gig we had to exchange with the DJM900NXS2 of our rental partner, next night we were forced to place the full Pioneer rig from the rental beside the two SC5000m, increasing the event costs (kindly asked, who will replace such higher costs?). In December at a secret Video shot, we tried to perform with the Setup (before it was returned) but it was a hopeless endeavor. Hangin’ / self reseting units no Artist can handle or perform. We had to switch to the club owned non-Denon stuff.

Great News? For me, it’s very sad news if a less than 10 day old X1800 must be replaced after a few hours of light use with a new one due to the holy bunch of delivered issues. Maybe a sign of bad Quality Control, before units are shipped. I didn’ t list all the errors regarding the X1800 in this post cause Denon already signaled to swap the X1800. But there were so many issues that these crappy unit was fully useless to us. It makes me sick, when new units have to be serviced after one slightly use, have to be send back and are far away to use for a longer time period over 4 month. Not understandable at all is that devices such as the X1800 are still delivered with issues that have long been well known as factory production errors, but obviously still have not been fixed in factory commodity production. Some x1800 owners reported to having received an X1850 as a replacement for their faulty X1800 unit, so we asked DenonDJ to do the same (if necessary with a small paid surcharge). This was refused. Frankly, does DenonDJ accept approvingly that Artists have to deal with faulty equipment on public stages?

We need reliable, solid units to trust in, that simply work. Not stupid words for things that should be taken for granted in this pro price range.

To resume, here are our “Great News” of turnaround times in short:

Bought several setups:

• Setup one: Mixer X1800 was Dead on Arrival, Unit send back directly - replacement took over five months. We had to rent a spare mixer to compensate
  • Setup two: Mixer sold, seems to work, both SC5000m’s are still originally packed (sale items // emergency backup stock)
  • Setup three: All three units crappy since Delivery in November, Not solved yet, X1800 will be swapped, both SC5000m are part of this thread discussion, turnaround time already >4 month

Which firmware was used on the players ? Did you use fully analyzed files or where they rekordbox databases which had to be anlayzed by first loading ?

Some of these things have been happening since release.

I’m sure Denon will sort you out, the limited involvement I’ve had with the team has been positive.

I previously had one of my players crash when playing on it in a livestream, however, since the release of 1.6 I’ve not had this issue again.

I’ve used my players and mixers for two charity livestreams, one being 24 hours, the other being 26 hours. During this I was doing dnb quick mixing, dual layer mixing, using my SSD and tidal. I have zero issues, zero crashes, zero complaints (bar a bug with the back button, but that was easily avoided).

I’m not saying you don’t have issues, far from it! However in my experience I’ve not had any of the issues you have and hope they get sorted for you.

The only thing I might wonder would be, does the same issue happen with various mediums? (I’ve read this on my phone so might of missed it). As in, do you get the same with all usb ports with various usb devices/ SSDs? Does it happen with tidal/ SoundCloud etc

That’s why we think it must be hardware related.

Well, my personal players also never let me down. Since day 1, they are rock solid and @TheHrdRebel seen them running good multiple times. But unfortunately he has some real problems with his decks. I was convinced at first, that it was something wrong with me, not with the players. I realised what was wrong actually after he told me about it… I was so hardly convinced that everything should be fine, that was stress and/or people related issue… but no…

That’s true, real buggy hardware.

@NoiseRiser not your fault, as we know now it belongs only to these two decks. Several DJs had to many issues with it including me. @Noah_Agricola Noah owns the same setup too. I played on it with my sticks and the behavior is totally different. No hangs, no hickups or resets. fast & smooth. No link problems or loosing drives etc.

I think this only happens when hooked up to a Denon x18xx mixer. Was yours hooked up to that mixer when it happened and how many times did it happen to you so far?

Is it similar to these posts?

https://community.enginedj.com/t/solved-pressing-cue-while-track-is-playing-leaves-the-platter-unresponsive/37815?u=wyley1

https://community.enginedj.com/t/expected-behavior-switching-layers-quickly-can-cause-platter-to-become-unresponsive/36084

Hey @Wyley1

I played on that gig when was the issue a year ago. The mixer was xone 92. Your issues are not related unfortunately. I also was trying to help solve these, as far as I seen…

Are you talking about this one?

I’m still trying to track the cause of it.