Showing BPM, KEY in File browser on Prime 4 OR auto create playlists from folders

Yes… your two level folders simplifies so much, but not my case. You found your own way to feel comfortable with EngineDJ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not only in engine Dj, as I said, I am able to find any track I have just by going in to right place, without any dj management software. I used this system with Traktor Pro 2, and Rekordbox back in the days… So that kind of organisation helps to navigate and search. If needed You can take it a step further, adding one sub folder, but adding more, will make it too complex to find anything fast…

If I was to manage this today

1. I will use engine dj (desktop) directly with external drive.

2. I will have one Parent folder containing all the subfolders you mentioned

3. I will drag this Parent folder to Engine DJ collection. Engine DJ automatically will create all the subfolders in the playlist tree.

4. Engine DJ will analyse and do it’s thing

5. If i add new tracks to some subfolders, I will delete the main folder in Engine Playlist tree and drag the Main folder again.

6. Step 5 does not remove tracks just the playlist

Yes, this seems to be the more logical way to do it, but this way I found two problems.

Maybe I’m wrong but, when you add again the main folder, every mp3 has to be analized again, right?

Some tags doesn’t write to file, so you loose the changes you made it on db. Not a long time I debate this point in another post.

No. Only new files are analysed. Old tracks are remembered because they are still in database

What tags?

I haven’t lost any changes this way. Hotcues, grids, tags etc are kept.

Remember the only thing I deleted is playlist…not files.

Try with rating, I’m not sure but I can test too

So just to clarify

1. Rate a track
  2. Add track to playlist
  3. Delete playlist
  4. Drag folder to collection again
  5. Check track rating —- no rating?

Yes, rating stills because you don’t delete de collection. But if you delete the file from collection, loses rating tag. Keep you collection DB safe, I know it’s your first rule here :sweat_smile:

What happens to me? if only delete playlist finally I have so many red files on collection, because my script rules rename the file sometimes (add extra data on it). That’s why I don’t use your method and I’m forced to empty collection time to time. But yours is the best approach, sure.

Well well…therein lies the issue.

Renaming a file after its being added to any collection (DJ/Media player/ITunes) is a No.

You will end up with red files …

Even DJ software that have relocate function will struggle with that because the file name is changed

Thats why I use folder view almost all the time.

Makes sense for you to work that way.

Have you considered adding BPM and Key to the file name directly

Maybe with one of your pythons :snake:

Artist - Title - BPM - Key

Yes, I thought about it… but I end with a very large filename and sometimes seems a crypto. Not only BPM, album, remix, comment :sweat_smile:. Also have to wait to end scroll filename to read it all. It’s not a bad option but I prefer to keep my filename clear as I can. And this only helps to myself.

The request asked about show ID tags of files in browser view, IMO benefits us all (like Edit Tags/Bpm). But there will always be someone who thinks not.