Showing BPM, KEY in File browser on Prime 4 OR auto create playlists from folders

Hi there - I manage my collection through folders, not playlists - I desperately need to be able to see the KEY and BPM in the file browser view, which I’m certain must not be a difficult feature to add. This was requested by other members about two years ago, and is a simple function that doesn’t interfere with other functionality - it is literally a cosmetic option for the file browsing view. Is there a way to do this that I have missed?

As was previously specific nearly two years ago by other users, this is not true for the FILE explorer. the FILE explorer only shows such data when you click on the track. There is no reason not to provide the option of showing that data in the FILE explorer view, just as the playlist view.

Is there a way to do this?

Please allow the option for users to mimic the PLAYLIST screen for the FILE EXPLORER screen - there is no logical reason why users who prefer to use file folders should have access to LESS information.

Yes there is - you’re supposed to add your music collection to the library.

Once it’s in the library and analysed, you can see BPM, key etc.

Where do you expect the system to get the data from, when you’re just browsing files? Should it create a second database just for that? Or perhaps you expect the system to read the data live from each file as you select it? That’s not very efficient.

What if the file has no data stored? Should the system analyse the file?

The above reasons are why the system uses a database, so that all analysed data is stored and instantly available…in the main library (which should contain all your files).

No, isn’t.

And yes, can be read directly from file, you have 10 files on screen, only need to read 10 files at time. Can be done async and populate as reads. No one asking to be instantly, I can live with a 2 seconds delay. And if you don’t like don’t use it and keep using library.

Prime4 can analize a file in 10 seconds but can’t read 5 tags from a file? Man, open your mind, some of your answers seems from a Denon Evangelist only to create discord.

1 Like

Yeah, seems like you don’t know anything about databases and the prime 4 or you’re just trolling.

As soon as you click on the file in the file browser, it provides all the analyzed data, so obviously the system is able to access it very easily via the file location alone.

Please cease piping in and providing not only useless information, but misleading and incorrect technical information as well, despite it being literally explained in capitals to you so a 10 year old could understand it.

I think I could have a workaround.

Put Your folders manually to the usb. Analyse that usb stick separately in Engine Dj. Take the usb to Your prime 4. Maybe it could work. Please try and let me know.

1 Like

I’m guessing this FOLDER workflow is a virtual dj thing yeah… :yum:

My observations

1. files/tracks that are already a part of the engine os collection (database) have their bpm/key/time value populated when I navigate to them and hold down the file name in the folder view

2. files/tracks that are not part of the engine os collection (database) do not contain any bpm/key/time info in the folder/explorer mode

3. I tested a folder which I’m sure the files id tag contain bpm info from Serato … these also did not show anything either.

This feature suggestion / request is looking like a big ask already…

• How is Engine OS FOLDER going to handle this?
  • Will it have to analyse entire folders first to generate the bpm/key/time?
  • Does it read the bpm/key/time from the files ID tags?
  • When Engine OS encounters a folder with a combination of files that have bpm and no bpm what does Engine OS do?

I’m pretty sure…you lot will also want the key/bpm/time to be sortable

As a longtime Serato user, I’m used to “Folders/Explorer” mode not showing anything but just the filename.

Hi Mufasa, Not in my case. I understand all non database file operation has limitations. So, I’m fine with apha sort in one direction but showing tags readed from file. Of course if file hasn’t tags on it, doesn’t show that info.

A preference option to select the most common tags to be showed would be appreciated.

I can bet a thousand euros folks will want it sortable….it’s a given.

With your understanding of non-database file operation and its limitations….what will folder browsing add?

Keeping in mind, the ecosystem is designed with Engine prime/Engine DJ (desktop) as the brain/conductor.

If most people are using Engine DJ to make/create performance drives….Folder browsing the performance drive is redundant and seems like an inefficient way of working.

My main library (around 30k tracks) is organized on folders by year, genere, subgenere. Also I have some special folders with collections by label, or artist, or compilations, etc. with so many recursion levels (+20k tracks).

Once a week a run on whole library a self made python script to cleanup and auto tag (genere, energy, color, and comment) new files based on custom rules. If I add 200 tracks on different folders across whole library, takes only 10 seconds to autotag all of them.

On EngineDJ only have a few playlists, maybe 1000 tracks bc is a pain in the ass to keep them updated ex:red files, delete and recreate every folder where I added a file, lost metatags not saved on file, etc. I know you‘re an expert on EngineDJ, nothing new to you what I’m explaining :wink: u knows usually ends in a mess

That’s why I prefer the folder tree but in a proper way. I’m not a weeding Dj so I don’t need my full library full searchable. In the club, when a track comes to my mind, usually I know where is it in the folder tree. But sometimes doesn’t comes to me by track name but for artist or comment… this means I know is in folder 2008…Dubtechno…Romanian… and then is where have all the tags on the browser is a plus. Or just wanna play funk of year 2018. Just need to go to that folder, not need to “update” any playlist.

I brought Prime 4 mainly for two things. First one, self analisys of tracks on board. But is very low accuracy, so much bpm error detection makes loops and effects useless. Second one, try to use computer only for so very specific tasks. If finally I have to use engineDJ to analize tracks, finetuning tags and library management like if I do on Rekordbox and Pionner, personally I prefer the Pionner more refined ecosystem.

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

If I may add my 5 cents to this folder based debate…

I sort all my music by Genres in folders on a hard drive. In Engine dj I made playlists that mirror the content of these folders. That way I have everything sorted in the same way as in my folders, with all the benefits of library indexing, search and tags…

So you delete your entirely library and recreate every time (that means re-analize all files) when add tracks to some folders?

No, I just add them to their playlists as well. Just simple drag and drop

So many time consume if I have to add one by one manually. You’re doing the same twice. Maybe this works with not very complex library, but not in my case. But agree your 2 cents.

I add about 100 tracks. In one go. Mostly one genre at the time. So I just sort by date added in the finder, and drag whats new to Engine playlist named as the same folder. That’s like a 5 seconds of work to add 100 tracks.

You have to remember (or going) trought every folder to detect new adds (by date) and the drop to engineDj. Maybe I have 200 tracks in 50 diferent folders, sometimes under year structure, sometimes under collection, sometimes under tools, etc. I try what you’re saying but not works for me. My way, just have to lisen, put where corresponds, run my script to tag and done. Just need folder browser read some tags from file (like filename) and show on it. Not demanding so much.

Maybe if Denon sometimes in a distant future adds the Watch Folder concept in EngineDJ, I change my mind and put all my library into collection/crate to autoupdate library on startup or on demand only with new changes.

Of course I also first listen to the tracks. I don’t have to remember nothing. When I get new tracks they are sitting in the download folder or in any other folder, outside of sorted music. I only add tracks to engine, when I add them to the sorted folders.

I mean you have to remember where you put your files (on your structure) before put into engineDJ

That is very easy - in main Music folder are sub-folders with Genre names. No folder is beyond that, so sorting by date added makes it very fast and easy. More simple, the better. I am able to locate any track I want, even without any sophisticated music management software. I don’t say, that this is perfect example and everyone should follow, it just works perfectly for me.