Setting up Timecode (DVS) Vinyl players with the MC6000 Mk1

namtab Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm

I’m a Traktor Scratch user and was using a Denon SC2000, NI X1, external mixer, SL1210 x2 and an NI Audio 10. I’m now, as of Monday this week a DN-MC6000 owner and I’m looking for a solution to my target configuration of 2 timecode decks(SL1210s) and 2 midi decks with eq, filter, effects, mixer etc controlled through the DN-MC6000. I’ve had a search for a video/diagram on how to set this config up but haven’t found anything as yet.

I’m very much looking forward to the community/Denon coming up with a solution to make this config a reality.

Many thanks

robdquick Mar 07, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Dean

If you have an audio 10, you can already do this quite easily. There should be loads of guides out there on how to use timecode with Traktor. Just use the mixer section of the MC6000 as a standard mixer. The default Denon mapping for the MC6000 will work just fine for controlling volume/eq/filter/effects of the decks.

If you can’t find any guides, let me know and ill walk you through it.

I am still in the process of compiling a full guide for setting up timecode using VirtualDJ (The process will also apply to any other software that supports timecode, and doesn’t need a specific soundcard (Traktor and Serato)

namtab Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

After I thought about what I wanted to do, it became obvious that it was exactly the same as my previous configuration, it was just I needed to understand and set the switches correctly on the MC6000 and match up the ins and outs in Traktor.

So I’m very glad to say I’m up and running with 2 vinyl timecode tracks and 2 internal midi tracks. I’ve got control of effects etc and all the leds are LEDing:-)

Thanks very much

Dean

Overdose Posts: 2 Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:51 pm Location: Waycross, GA Post Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm Re: How to setup MC6000 with Time Code CDs/Vinyl So you got the timecode to work without an external mixer hooked up? Is that correct? I’m interested in your guide.

robdquick

Apr 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Timecode works with virtual dj/mixxx using just the mc6000. I am still in the process of compiling the guide (been mega busy with work) but the instructions in my first post gives the general details. Feel free to ask any specific questions if you get stuck!

ultrasounds Aug 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi, I am currently running a mc6000 mk1 through traktor pro scratch 2. this works very well as a stand alone digital dj set-up. i am now looking to link my 2 sc3900 players using hybrid mode with time code. anybody know if and how this can be done, settings e.t.c. my aim is to have:

Traktor deck 1 (A) SC3900 #1 (TIMECODE) TRAKTOR DECK 2 (B) SC3900 #2 (TIMECODE) TRAKTOR DECK 3 © REMIX/TRACK DECK TRAKTOR DECK 4 (D) REMIX/TRACK DECK

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DJ_Boothe Aug 30, 2014 11:29 am

you’ll need a separate timecode compliant soundcard/timecode box, thereby utilising the 6000mk1 as a standalone mixer.

ultrasounds Posts: 3 Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:44 pm Location: United Kingdom Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 am Re: How to setup MC6000 with Time Code CDs/Vinyl :frowning: I had a feeling that was the caes. :frowning: Thanks for the reply, might look into getting i/o6 sound card. will that give me fx traktor on my decks aswell? if not i think it may be time to take the plunge and get myself the new dnx1700, looks like a nice bit of kit and the built in fx look sweet and im assuming i could use Native instruments f1 controllers for the remix decks on traktor? thanks.

mickeykav Aug 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Hello all you good people. After many years of playing on and off with my much loved Denon MC6000 (mk1), I have got to the point where i can play different songs together, and get them to play sweet sweet music and now I even take pleasure from getting some alone time with the controller. Given that it was now starting to sound better, I decided to ruin it by investing in a turntable and the Traktor Audio 6. I only want two decks (1 at first), so the Audio 10 was an unnecessary expense - but i figure it all works the same (yet…why are there no guides I can find online)…

But they don’t want to play nicely together…and it means I’m just back to clashing sounds and some very overpriced desk ornaments.

To recap, I cannot get my turntable playing nicely with my controller and Audio 6 at the same time. Here’s the scenario:

1. Denon MC6000 mk1
  2. Traktor Scratch Pro 2
  3. Native Instruments Audio 6
  4. A turntable (we’ll come back to that at a later date…but for now, think of it as a turntable)

Here’s my logic:

Traktor Setup - TimeCode has to be the audio device, or Traktor won’t know what is happening on the vinyl, hence in audio setup, i choose the Traktor Audio 6 nicely plugged in via USB. This works, and I set my Input Deck D to Ch B left & right; and repeat, and output Deck D to Ch B Left and right. I choose external mixer for Mixing mode (Traktor is no longer in charge because it isn’t yet talking to the Denon). All over Input and Output Decks are set to ‘Not connected’. My timecode setup tab is set to Scratch Control for Deck D, and Internal for all overs.

Denon Controller - now no longer doing PC mixing, i set it to internal mixing mode. I have the Traktor Audio A6 going into Line 2, and Select this on Channel 4. All other channels set to midi. From the unbalanced Master Out, I go to my Amplifier.

With this setup, I can play an mp3 on Traktor, and control it with the time code. I can control the volumer with the mixer. I cannot get any of the other channels to make a peak, but can control them from both the screen and from the Controller, e.g. trigger them to play.

I have read on one of the forums - to use the main in and out on the Audio 6 (leave Denon, go into Main on A6, and go to Amp). That doesn’t seem to make sense. I have also read of using record out/unbalanced. I have tried a number of these setups but made no progress.

Hopefully one of you will be able to help…it’s causing me sorrow that i can only play the one channel.

Thank you all for your help.

Mickey

SlayForMoney

Aug 18, 2015 7:36 pm

So basically want to use turntables with timecode to control decks C & D AND Denon to control decks A & B with midi from controller all while in Traktor external mixing mode?

mickeykav Aug 18, 2015 9:22 pm

I want Deck D as timecode, A, B, C as midi - so almost. I only have one turntable right now.

SlayForMoney User avatar Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm

First of all - I hope you don’t have Traktor Kontrol Audio 6 - it doesn’t allow timecode. I see three options:

1.) Internal mixing mode in Traktor

• turntable into input on A6
  • headphones plugged into A6, main output to speakers also from A6 (or try routing it through MC6000 if you need XLR outputs)
  1. External mixing mode in Traktor (your routing was wrong)
  • turntable into input on A6
  • route RCA from A6’s deck A & B & C (“Main”) to inputs on the MC6000 (you can’t mix 4 decks on the mc6000 unless you route/combine, say traktor decks C & D, to the same output on the A6)
  1. Use hack that enables MC6000 to be used as a certified audio device for Traktor(youtube is your friend)
  • you need the latest firmware for the MC6000
  • turntable into input on the MC6000
  • all channels on the MC6000 set to midi

these are basic tips, please read ALL the threads about it here and on other forums