Serato Support?

I think Pioneer is under cutting, i doubt if the cost of serato is the price difference between the two. Take for example the 80/100 usd numarks, that logic will mean all the money goes to serato.

Could be a percentage of the product MRSP/Street value baked in for a period of time. Say 1 to 2 years post market availability

2 Likes

agree, it definitely varies from unit to unit. probably should have wrote “how much it can cost”, too many new users here :roll_eyes:

sorry snowflake, you are on a public forum, be prepared to hear other peoples opinions often supported by facts. doesn’t mean you have to change your opinion of course buddy :+1:

No problem SlayForGetALife… You and your boys with a million post on here don’t make you right or give you the right to intimidate and flag every post you guys don’t like… How many more post are the mods going to close due you guys. I hope where clear on that snowflake. Now lets get back to the topic

Seriously buddy, nobody will take you or your opinion seriously if you go with that horse manure. “Kmeee, I have nothing clever to say so I will randomly accuse somebody of flagging posts. Maybe make a insult out of his username”. Cut. That. Shaite. What are you, five?

Yes, just because I’m longer on forum that does not make me right. But you would be a fool not pay attention to what any guy/girl with 10+ years of Denon/DJ experience is telling you.

Btw, I think I flagged 2 posts here in 4+ years of this forum. One was definitely Reticuli’s.

1 Like

Well in all fairness… You called me snowflake 1st… So don’t expect me to just take that… You started the name calling… All i want is the best for all Denon owners… I want Denon to be ontop and continue to add features that will benefit everyone… Its very frustrating when folks have posted concerns since 2019 and a fix has still not come out… Example… No MIC over the headphones issue… If Denon just answered… Where working on it… Or its not coming out… Not possible… There wouldn’t be so many redundant post… This is a great forum… Lots of good people… I would like to see Denon get more involved… After all, they do have a reputaion of listening to customers feedback.

Ehm not that much tbh.

1 Like

I would say: Back to the topic! Lets keep it constructive :relaxed: I am one of the guys desperatedly hoping for SDJ support for the Prime 2. If license costs are an issue, heck, at least SDJ Lite (with the option to upgrade myself).

“Why” some guys may wonder, “Isn’t this meant as Standalone Unit?” Yes, it still is, but nobody forces you to use Serato. Give users the choice.

• Added flexibility is always a win. Personally I would love to use it standalone for smaller gigs in bars and clubs with 2-3 fixed genres, and switch to Serato for my bigger weddings and birthday partys without the need to buy a seperate controller
  • The Prime 2 is significantly more portable than its bigger brother and thus a great option for mobile DJs that simply dont need more than 2 channels. But especially as mobile/wedding DJ you sometimes require a proper laptop - the 7" screen one on the P2 with only 5-6 track columns is just too limited for many different music genres and requests.
  • The Prime 4, albeit featuring the ‘more standalone-friendly’ bigger 10" screen and thus having less need for an external laptop, interestingly has SDJ support.
  • The Prime 2 is rather expensive compared to the P4, considering it lacks some crucial features like phono/line inputs, Sweep EFX, full Mic and EFX control, Zone Out… and only costs 300-400$ less. So you kinda get punished when opting for the more portable 2ch solution. Same software flexibility like the P4 plus maybe adding sweep EFX via Quick Pulldown menu would probably help the P2 getting a better stand
  • Pioneer users face a similar dilemma for the DDJ-RX2 vs XZ: They get punished if they just want a great 2ch device, which can operate both with Serato and Standalone. Afaik the only device on the market having both is the rather unknown Mixars Primo. So here is a chance to make former Primo/SR/SX/RX/XZ users switch to Denon.
  • Engine has greatly improved, but still scares off some potential switchers. Serato is famous for its stability. People could try out both systems without any fear on the same hardware
  • We would get access to Serato Video

I am playing with the thought of switching to VirtualDJ, but I really don’t want to. Expensive purchase price, (unjustified) bad reputation among professionals, less reliable essential features like beatgrids, no desire to shift my whole collection. So I keep my fingers crossed for a Prime 2 with Serato support in 2021 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I disagree. If you were to buy all the Serato add-ons required for it to do what VDJ does, you’d end up spending the same. Also, the VDJ purchase is a one-off payment - for life. Once you’ve got it, no more upgrade fees. Ever.

If you’re interested, you can unlock a 30 day VDJ trial, or simply rent it for a month or two first.

Not if I don’t need Serato Video myself or want to decide about this add-on later, same for already purchased expansion packs like PnT or the Effects which I can carry on using. I would definetly never reach 300€ (it’s that much here). If Prime 2 unlocks Serato DJ, the actual costs for me would be zero (Pro) or 99€ (Lite->Pro). Considering much cheaper devices unlock SDJ Pro, a premium device like the Denon should likewise. For its price and lacking additional Ph/Ln inputs, the P2 is rather limited.

In the end this thread is about Serato DJ support request for the Prime 2. I am well aware that VDJ support is already given, but I would rather keep the system I had been succesfully working with for over 7 years, so I am waiting a bit longer for an official statement in that regard. Either Denon+Serato say yay or the say nay. Then I gonna decide which way to go. As the Prime 4 got support, I think the Prime 2 as the more portable but still rather pricy unit deserves the same treatment.

4 Likes

As an owner of the DDJ-SX that still working great but getting booring, Serato DJ support for the Prime2 sounds tempting. The only Denon alternatives including this plus Standalone are the Prime4 and MCX8000. The Prime4 is too overkill and bulky for my need, the MCX is lighter, cheaper but based on old architecture. Actually, there is no 2ch AiO device with Serato support on the market at all. Why not grasp the chance?

If license costs are an issue, something hard to imagine considering $500 controllers have Pro support integrated, how about this: Denon and Serato join forces and allow plug n’ play with SDJ Lite with the next FW update. Then people who actually want to use Serato DJ pay the moderate 99$ upgrade and unlock the rest, while others simply ignore it. It’s a win-win for Denon (RX2 has no support), Serato (upgrade buyers) and the users (more flexibility).

Hybrid use would be possible, even if a software restart is needed when switching between SDJ/VDJ and Standalone, thanks to the Aux-Input with Cue/PFL which always keeps operating as long the Prime2 is powered on.

2 Likes

My solution… I’m moving onto a Prime 4 next week… I should have listened to you guys and just got it in the first place… I still agree it would be nice if the Prime 2 got Serato support… Seems like lots of folks want it… Plus its nice to have the option… The v1.6 beta software seems pretty much done… So hopefully more of these requested features will arrive in v1.7 (or whatever the next firmware is named)… I think the Prime’s future looks good either way.

3 Likes

Funny enough a dj buddy who currently uses DDJ SX reached out to me to ask about the Prime 2 and Serato.

I think most will be totally fine even if it was Serato Lite out of box (and paid upgrade to Pro)

Of course I gave him my opinion … only make purchase decisions based on current features or what’s being officially promised.

3 Likes

Looks like nobody from Denon is actually doing anything about this. Well it may not matter to you but you’re losing a customer here. I am returning my unit, and i’m sure many others are not buying your units because of the lack of this feature. You’re charging nearly as much as a Prime 4 and skimping out on something simple. Seriously Denon? You should be ashamed of yourselves especially after all these requests.

1 Like

A wise person said.

3 Likes

The SDK is available from Denon so support is totally in Serato’s court. Contact them and complain.

Alternatively use it with VirtualDJ.

1 Like

This is a Serato DJ request topic. There is no need to constantly advertise Virtual DJ or badmouth people (“complain”). People are aware the P2 is working with VDJ, but probably they prefer to continue working with the software they are used to, rather than paying another $300. One thing where I agree in general that one shouldn’t buy a unit in expectation of any missing features getting implemented.

I myself, being both a mobile and club/outdoor DJ, had hoped for SDJ support for the Prime 2. That would had allowed many people to have one device for both scenarios; enjoying to play standalone whenever possible and plug in my 15" Macbook for much better browsing whenever necessary like complex weddings. The Prime 4 is too big and heavy for me. The Prime 2 often got advertised having the “same power” in a smaller footprint. But considering the many unnecessary compromises (no SDJ, Ph/Ln-Inputs, SweepFX, Mic-Echo) this is simply not true.

In the meantime I have opted for a Roland DJ-808 (the drum machine is super fun actually) but the recent 2.0 update intrigues me. Should Denon and Serato work together, bringing at least SDJ Lite (reduced license costs) with an upgrade option for the user, I would be very pleased and finally go for the Prime. But time will tell…

1 Like

Is the Prime 4 much heavier than carrying a Prime 2 and 15" Laptop, laptop case, stand, extra cables etc?

On one hand you’re saying the Prime 4 is too big and heavy, then on the other you want to carry a slightly smaller unit then add the complexity of having to use it with a laptop and carry the things needed to do that?

This seems a little bit contradictory here.

Also the guy above wasn’t badmouthing, he was merely stating that the issue sits with Serato to get it working.

Serato will not support any controller until they hash out an official agreement with the manufacturer. This will obviously involve money…remember they have got salaries to pay.

Agree with request for Serato lite to push the financial burden on customers as a compromise of some sort.

There are a cohort of DJs that may consider getting the Prime2 should serato become supported.

I have an SR2 for this purpose and there is nothing complex about using a laptop to DJ with.

Serato is as plug and play as it comes, I’d say Virtual DJ is more complex to set up to use as it asks you to select the sound card etc

2 Likes

It’s more complex as in more things to set up on the DJ booth, a laptop stand, the laptop itself (and keeping it in working order or up to date, something I can’t do now because of Rane and their lack of support for SL sound cards), having power cables, a USB cable… these are all additional points of failure that you avoid with a standalone unit.

I’ve been using a laptop at gigs for nearly 10 years now and it’s 100% easier to just have a single unit with built in screen, and much more robust, especially when things like cables can be pulled out so easily.

The best decision I’ve made in years (apart from buying a Mastersounds mixer for home) is ditching my SX2 and Serato for a Prime 2… I can take the unit, a monitor, headphones, 2 power cables and an XLR cable to a gig and be set up in minutes.

sigh Alright, seems I have to explain it one final time:

The promising part about the rather portable Prime 2 getting Serato DJ support is, that it would allow me and several other users, to buy one device for two different scenarios:

1. Situations where I can indeed only arrive with the Prime 2, my headphones and rock the party. Examples would be a club slot where I only have to cater a few genres, or an outdoor party just for fun. In that case the rather small 7" screen is absolutely sufficient.

2. Situations where I need a proper laptop screen + keyboard, this is the case at weddings that go for 7+ hrs and come with many genres and many music requests. In that case, I could still use the very same Prime 2 unit, but simply plug in my SDJ 15" Macbook.

The irony here is, that the Prime 4, which actually has the more browse-friendly 10.1" screen and thus less need for any laptop solution, got Serato DJ support, albeit it’s certainly more ‘overkill’ here. From a point of logic and convenience, it should had been the other way round - the Prime 2 (and maybe Go) getting as much software plug-and-play support as possible first, as their portable size make them perfect options for people who work with similar sized controllers (SR/SX/DDJ, MC6/7000, 505, Primo…) plus it is more affordable.

For the time being, we would have to buy a Prime 4 to get the desired flexibility, with the handicap of it being about 30% heavier (9.7 vs 7.2kg) and significantly larger, and I know many booths in smaller club/bar locations here, where the Prime 2/Go would fit, but the 4 not anymore. Or buy a medium-sized controller and single SC5000, which would be a workaround, albeit less elegant (dual layer switching, more cables, more to carry even without laptop, also not sure about Engine Light).

I hope people here can finally understand our situation. Ofc we also have to request it in the Serato forums and other channels. It would be a win for Serato (people purchasing upgrades), Denon (more people switching from controllers) and the customers (more flexibility).

2 Likes