Search Key finds for the first 3 Keys (8B, 8A, 9B) only 8A and continues with shift of two (10B->9B, 10A->9A...)

• Engine OS Device: SC6000M

• Beta Version: Engine OS v1.6

• Steps to Reproduce: List songs via search key and sort with key

• Expected Result: List shows same key as search key

• Actual Result: Search key finds for the first 3 keys (8B, 8A, 9B) only 8A and after that continues with the shift 10B shows 9B, 10A shows 9A and so on. That happens only on one player, both player have beta 1.6

• Reproducibility: Every time but only on one player

• Additional Notes: Both player are the same, both have the same SSD and loaded with the same playlists via Engine Prime

• Link to Video Repro: https://g-zi.de/BeatCounter/Key.mp4

Does this happen also after power off/on cycle? Or resetting the player fixes it?

Yes, it happens always but only on one player

Both decks are on 1.6?

Yes, same setup for both, even the same songs copied to the internal drives

Well, then I think some of the dev’s should hop in and help. Hard to find the right solution, as I can’t replicate this on my SC5000’s/M’s Maybe it is only on exactly THIS deck. Did You tried to re-upload the software on it?

I re-updated from SD-card, same result.

I installed v. 1.5.2, here it works fine.

and updated again to v. 1.6, search key mismatch as described

This is related to the preference setting “KEY FILTER”.

If set to [compatible], it will display the list wrong, like the first part of the video.

If set to [match], it will display the list right, like the second part of the video.

Can you confirm the left player is set to [compatible] and the right is set to [match]? :wink:

Yes, thats it but why is the list shifted with key set to compatible?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a bug to me. :grimacing:

I just explained the cause of the bug to make it easier for devs to look deeper.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, this is working as intended. Let me explain.

The key filter is currently set to compatible, meaning that if you have a key selected, it will also show one number up, one number down, and the opposite letter.

In the case of showing all 8b compatible tracks, it shows 8b, 8a and 9b tracks. It doesn’t show any 7b tracks because there doesn’t seem to be any in your library. At any rate, it starts with the 8b tracks.

In the case of showing all 8a compatible tracks, it shows 8b, 8a and 9b track, without any 7a since there are none either. This list starts with the 8b tracks.

In the case of showing all 9b compatible tracks, it shows 8b, 9a, 9b and 10b tracks. This also starts with the 8b tracks.

In the case of showing all 9a, this no longer shows 8b as an extension of the above rules… It shows 8a, 9a, 9b and 10 a… so the list now starts with 8a…

So, all seems right actually. If you don’t like this, you can switch the key filter preference to only show exact.

1 Like

Do you mean the compatible mode is used for harmonic mixing with the camelot wheel like discribed here: https://mixedinkey.com/harmonic-mixing-guide/

Why not call it harmonic instead of compatible?

I thought it displayed only a wrong key, not the three. Shall check again, but I’m probably wrong…

It is interesting seeing how this is interpreted in the Primes and how it is displayed . It made me check it out again in the library. I usually mix in key but I find there can be too big of a jump in key when hitting the sync so never use that.

Pioneer DJ have introduced the new method of key mixing where you can mix into six possible keys and it means they only move a few semitones at a time.

Phil Morse from DigitalDJTips has given an in-depth explanation into how it works. Here is a little bit from the Pioneer DJ way of key sync.

"Many years ago, when researching the music theory behind harmonic mixing for our How To Master Keymixing course, I realised that the purveyors of DJ keymixing systems had got it wrong. They say that you should only keymix between tracks in the same key, the dominant key, the sub-dominant key, or the relative key. (If you were using Camelot, if your track was 8A, that’d be tracks in 7A, 8A, 8B or 9A.) But actually, it’s also fine to use 7B and 9B, too – the relative keys of the dominant key and subdominant key, too – or moving “diagonally” on the wheel.

Now, as there are 24 possible musical keys in this system, and this “new rule” means you are able to mix between six of them, something cool becomes possible: By moving any song up a note, up two notes, down a note, or down two notes, it can potentially be mixed harmonically into any other song."

The longer explanation is in the “Key” section of the review.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.