Screen Image Ghosting

Denon Team,

I’ve noticed on both 6K’s that if I leave them on a static screen for a period of time, the high color contrast will ghost on the screen (similar to burn in), and remain for a period of time even after rebooting. It seems to go away if I leave the units powered down for a few hours but it happens relatively quickly. It’s worse if my screen is set to max so I’ve left the screen at the lowest brightness setting, but it still occurs even at that setting.

A screen saver or display turnoff option after a user definable period of time I think would help. A tap of the display or button press could wake the screen. Thoughts and is this something we should be concerned about? The white colors seem to contribute most to the issue.

Thanks

1 Like

In normal playback use, when would they be left static for any extended period of time. I think I’d only be leaving either Deck alone static for about 3 or 4 minutes ?

But, you seem to have found a preventative measure already, which is good .

The white vertical line that centers the waveform (under the track time), for example, remains static regardless of what song you’re playing. I’m accustomed to leaving my gear on for hours at a time, rather than shutting them on and off throughout the day. All of my Elektron gear as an example has a screen turnoff feature to protect the longevity of the screens, and wakes upon button push. It’s a simple solution that protects the OLED displays. Granted, as I understand it, these are LED displays but anything that would cause an image to be retained on a screen is cause for some concern. What I proposed I think would be the best solution to protect the longevity of our displays.

1 Like

That white play line is worrying in fact. As you say, whatever you’re playing, that line is going to always be there - except in library and utilities modes.

Denon could make that line intermittent dots instead and then vary which dots are lit. So if the line is made up of 100 dots in a vertical line, then during the first track you play, dots 1, 5, 9, 13, 17 etc are lit.

During the second track, dots 2, 6, 10, 14, 18 etc are lit and so on.

When the track ain’t playing then the white line would only need to show while cueing is taking place.

2 Likes

Agreed. Pixel shifting, or motion graphics to keep the brightest colors shifting in some manner may also help. Whether it’s the white line, text such as SOURCE, select media source, SHORTCUTS, tracklists/crates, the waveforms, etc., anything in white that sits on the screen for a period of time creates a ghost image. The longer it sits or brighter the screen, the more pronounced it becomes. I’m not really noticing it with any other colors. If there isn’t risk of permanent damage to the display I’d be less concerned, but I have no confirmation of that. A screen saver or temporary screen shutoff is a must I’d say if we’re seeing this after only a short period of time.

1 Like

how long is that? 5 minutes? 50 minutes? 5 hours?

30 - 60 minutes, give or take, before I start to see it.

Are the screens OLEDs? It looks like temporary image retention but that shouldn’t be physically possible on LCD panels.

No it’s not OLED and LCD can still have burn-in, which should disappear eventually.

Thanks Reese. You are correct in that image retention does occur on LCD screens. That said, how quickly this occurs on the 6K screens is a fair cause for concern. A screensaver or blank screen after a set time period would help address concerns with leaving the units on for extended periods of time, but won’t address active use of the units. After 30-60 minutes of mixing, the white elements of the bottom wav forms and, more prevalent, the white center line that anchors the main waveform, is retained when switching menus. It does go away after I turn the unit off for a few hours, but it shouldn’t happen at all in such a short timeframe. Not to mention it just looks really bad when you’re showing people your players and there is image retention on the screen. I was told by the support team it will be addressed in a future firmware update, but it really needs to be prioritized to reduce the risk of permanent damage to the screen. It’s a pain to have to turn on and off the players throughout the day during mixing sessions to protect the screens.

2 Likes

Have you resolved this issue? I am experiencing this right now and on top of the image retention, the playhead is permanently burned in my screen.

No sir. I’ve been assured from Denon support that this can happen but is only temporary. I’ve asked multiple times for a screen timeout to be enabled to help so I can leave the players on, but have no idea if that will be implemented. After a short period of time it occurs on both of my 6K’s and I have to turn them off and not use them for more than an hour at a time, which is very inconvenient. Even after assurances I’m still worried about permanent image retention and to be honest, after such a short period of time this shouldn’t be happening at all. My display brightness is at the lowest setting but it makes no difference. The white is the problem, specifically on the playhead, text, and lower waveforms. If yours burned in permanently, that is a major cause for concern and contradicts what I was told from support.

You may want to consider taking this to their Facebook page as there is a larger audience there and I found success getting them to resolve the queue slipping issue I was having when I first got the players, with them releasing the 1.5.3 update to resolve that issue. No vendor wants bad press on their players and while I hate to do that, sometimes it’s necessary to get support to respond.

1 Like

Glad you have made SOME progress. We have to stick together. You are right. I will try Facebook and will report back.

Thank you.