Has anyone ever experienced this? So I’ve tried just using Engine Prime software to export my playlists to USB drives (3.0). This was successfully done. I then insert the USB drives into my 5000M players, and it is ready to go.
From here, when I load some random tracks, I experience 2 issues:
- The decks would freeze after trying to load the track. Sometimes, it would fail and say that the track might be corrupt. But then, I’d try it again, and it would finally load fine.
- When you try to queue the track to be played next, it would lose audio in the middle of the track.
I noticed around this time that the USB drives were flashing red. Which tells me that it was somehow busy trying to do some sort of analyzing. And if you give it a couple of seconds, everything runs as expected. When I just used Rekordbox to export my playlists to USB, and then inserted them to my players, I never experienced this freezing issue before.
If Denon wants consumers to convert fully to Engine Prime, this cannot happen especially during a performance.
So I just wanted to start this thread up to see if anyone has seen this before.