SC5000M Custom platters - let's see them!

I’ve gone with something simple but effective and they look good will upload a finished pic when they are on…R-1485785-1223239065.jpeg

2 Likes

Sc5000m + Rane quick release spindle + 9" vinyl => Perfect player :muscle:t5::muscle:t5::muscle:t5:

4 Likes

hello, or did you buy your size 9 transparent vinyl records, please?

I bought it years ago with my old sc3900…

Glowtronics is the only shop where 9" clear vinyls are still available

1 Like

Hi m, one question how did you make the holes?

Hi, how did yo make the holes?

I used the silver disk that is attached to the underside of the supplied vinyls.

I placed the new vinyl on top then the silver disk to make sure it was aligned properly, marked the holes and drilled, then carefully used a countersink bit to allow some space for the screw head to sit in the vinyl properly, i don’t use the silver disk when i attach it all back together.

Don’t know if the picture helps, but i have these two gorgeous blue vinyl’s that i will be drilling tomorrow 8)

Probably mentioned this before but i did email support to try and ascertain the specs of the screws that attach the spindle disk to the platter but never got a reply, important as not all vinyls are the same thickness and that includes my glow in the dark serato vinyl’s.

2 Likes

Similar to what @Revan did. Instead though once I removed the silver vinyl adapter from the included record, I used that one as a template to trace the holes onto the clear Serato vinyl, then used a dremel to drill out the holes. Not exactly perfect, took a little trial and error, but in the end it all worked out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And here are the new blue ones attached, they look pretty sweet. 8)

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, one more question since I can’t make it fit the screws how did you did it ?

When you drill the holes for the screws, use a bit slightly wider than the screw thread, this will give you some room to manoeuvre the vinyl when reattaching the screws, then using a countersink bit to allow you to gently remove some of the vinyl for the countersink head of the screw to sit in, it should grip no problem. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

My SC5000M MK2 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: with white vinyl in action!:

4 Likes

Nice and clean looking, look really cool.

Love that it’s just not me that still has the protective plastic on the deck screens.

4 Likes

I also have them. In real life it looks even better.

I have tried a few custom vinyl (see picture) however have settled and am happy with 10" clear Serato discs. I found 7" too restrictive for scratching (although the new 9" on the sc6000m would have been perfect). I also upgraded the caps and put a valve / tube preamp after the outputs. The digital sound is perfect as is however (to me) sounds better through a preamp. I am a fan of the Mastersound mixers which use valves also.

I used the 7" vinyl removed from the player as a template guide for drilling. Make sure you put the new record on a pen or some kind of spindle to keep it central. I also found that the 10" was slightly thicker than the 7" and so it needed longer screws to secure the metal vinyl adaptor to the records. I got a box of assorted computer / laptop screws and found the best fit. All works perfect and I keep them on ‘normal’ torque which gives more expression to the scratching (record not pulling away so much).

Anyway enjoy the mods!

3 Likes

I’m curious what you’re using. I thought about adding one to my setup, as well.

Hi Kevin, I’m using this great line level tube preamp from AliExpress. Don’t be tempted get one with a DAC or Bluetooth as pure analogue is the way to go for sound quality.

I have upgraded the tubes to Tested/Matched Pair (2 Tubes) 7-Pin GE JAN 5654W from Amazon also as they sound better than the stock Chinese tubes.

I have the preamp running from the ‘record out’ on the mixer to cut out any gain stage on the mixer. You could run it from the unbalanced outs also if you wanted. My hope is to get a fully balanced XLR version for the mains also some day.

Sound quality is always subjective however to me it sounds perfect. I have been swapping around gear for years, A&H, Pioneer, Rane, Technics, Denon, Ecler, Wood speakers, ABS Speakers etc

I’m now completely satisfied with the sound quality.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! That really is an affordable tube amp :ok_hand:

I tempted to give it a shot!

anybody found 8" vinyls for the 6km’s? id like to customise the platters. however like in ChrisSportif post i too prefer a matt finish and like the slope better from the ns7ii/ ns7iii. id like see if these have been fitted to the 6km as more options would open up to add great custom 7" vinyls that are widely available.

1 Like