SC5000M announcement

Why are you not a fan? In the case of the M, you have an $1800 turntable that is only 7", doesn’t have a tonearm, and must share space with traditional turntables. Other than mobile wedding DJs and/or people bringing their own gear everywhere that want to minimize weight, what do you see as a downside to a hybrid 12" unit? I can’t think of a single downside for an club installation, assuming the RF emissions could be made low enough to work with most phonographic cartridges (let’s ignore unshielded Grados for a moment that have problems on multi-voltage Technics and the TTX). No mechanically/acoustically noisy CD mechanism to worry about. 12" is easy to work with and goes back to the beginning of DJs. You can play both 12" and 7" on such a unit. Seems like the X2 and CDT-05 just came out too soon… before the era of flash drives.

Any suggestions where the screen and all the buttons should go? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am in limbo about this one. On the one hand I think: WOOHOOO … nice! On the other hand: Is it REALLY for me???

I think if motorized vinyl were really my thing, I’d gotten the SC3900s instead of the 2900s when I did. Or I’d held on to my SL1200s and gone DVS.

Then again, these are controllers through and through with a LOT more options than your SL1200s in a DVS setup. For me the 7" form factor wouldn’t be a big issue. Sure 12" is nice, but easy to see that wouldn’t fit in a million years. And trading-in the center display for motorized vinyl is certainly not gonna deter anyone (provided they came up with a good solution to show loop size and such elsewhere as that is more important in the center screen than cover art or DJ logo imho).

I think what needs to happen, as I hope to be moving closer to a prime setup in the months to come, is that I get some hands-on on the M-version. Also curious how it behaves with the motor off.

Will keep an eye out for all you fellow forum members that are going for one or more of these and reporting on them here.

I can see a setup with both two non-M and two M-versions for a bit of both worlds for those with deep(er) pockets.

I’d put the screen in one of the bottom corners.

Not a 7" touch screen with surrounding buttons :wink: You’d end up with a unit twice the size of the current ones. Bit awkward I think

1 Like

Twice the size of current what? The 5000s?

O.k. Don’t laugh :slight_smile: Bare with me on the quality of this… a very rough sketch, and the Vestax-like j-arm was originally swung to the opposite side of the deck and shaped wrong. The tonearm is still too long on this (about 9" in real life from needle to center pivot?) and the pitch fader too short for 100mm.

Everything would need to be slightly more spread out than this, but you get the basic layout from it. You have to scale up a 8.5 x 11 to the real size prior to spreading everything out, though. A rough scaling based on the screen and platter on the sketch, with 1.777 as the multiplier, the life-like mock-up’s paper dimensions become 15.11" x 19.55". So maybe spread that out by another 5% to give everything more room, like the tonearm base that’s admittedly cramped? That’s 15.87" x 20.53". That might not be enough, but let’s go with that for a moment.

The smallest Super OEM TT is about 14.5" x 17". The Numark X2 was 14" x 18". A 1200 is 14.2" x 17.3". Area on this Prime hybrid is thus 325.8 sq in vs 246.5, 252, and 245.6 sq in, respectively. Comparing 325.8 to 246, the difference in area is 79.8 sq in and the hypothetical Prime hybrid is 32.44% larger. For reference, the SC5000 is 207.9 sq in area. So you get a big savings in area use with the Prime hybrid over TTs plus the SC5000, and this Prime hybrid is neither twice the size of a normal DJ TT nor even the SC5000. Yes, it is larger.

I believe this is doable from a layout and space standpoint. Not sure about RF, but there’s always mu metal. A layer of that between the platter surface and internal rubber on the VL12 platter design might go a long way to protecting the cartridge from the power supply and other electronics. The touch screen, which has potentially been an RF issue with picking up smartphones’ emissions, is on the opposite side of the platter from the cartridge.

You clearly gave this some serious thought. You never know, it might just fall on the right ears in the product development department.

1 Like

I wonder how many people on this forum are open-format DJs like I am? This is a wonderful attempt at trying to pull hip-hop/open-format DJs away from the Pioneer platform. I am very, VERY excited for this. I still want some software improvements to Denon Prime, however. But it’s making it harder and harder to pick Pioneer over Denon Prime even with the software advantages.

2 Likes

Yeah, if you look at the picture down on this page: https://denondj.com/prime-series you can see the VL12s are already deeper (in scratch mode) and slightly wider than the SCs. Now imagine adding all the buttons and the screens (we can keep the fader that is already on there) and I think it will outgrow the booth real quick.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Any American users on here, if you’re visiting DJ Expo this week you’ll get to see the SC5000M in the flesh!

There’s a lot of wasted space it seems on existing turntables due to just trying to stick to the 1200 layout.

Tune in now to our Facebook page for a live stream of DJ Kenny Dope using the SC5000M’s!

Dohhhhhh!

Drum pads on a vinyl deck are sorta dumb.

Vinyl players are vibration protected by their very clever feet and dense bases but only from external influences. All the extranal vibration protection won’t stop the stylus from bouncing all over the playing vinyl when some adrenaline enthused DJ starts hammering the drum pads like a possessed Duracell bunny.

1 Like

I am keeping SC5000 and buying 2 SC5000M once they start selling them on Amazon.com.

I am not sure if DJ equipments with motors in them in 2018 are as important to has manys DJs as ten years ago or more.

Else where’s on the internet I read of the 5000m to be same price as the 5000 and DJs will just need a choose of motor or colour platter display for same price.

I think it will be a awkward decision to make for some DJ and I would chose of the colour display in stead of motor.

I think the motor fill the same space where colour display would normal fit but if a model got offered with both motor and colour platter display for may be 10% of more cost in shops that would give to DJs all the options and no awkward decision choice to make. But would it sell ? I don’t know that

That directed at me? I’d never use the pads on a hybrid unit when an analog record was playing. People would figure out that issue soon enough. I want three hybrid players and don’t need dual digital layers on them.

If the older decks (like the 3700/3900) were set to “continuous” mode in the menu (so it keeps playing track after track, like a real record), you can easily forward/backspin/scratch multiple times and the cue/marker point stays put. That’s how I have my 3700’s setup. Never had an issue with the cue point moving around on me. Only downside… you have to remember to mix/fade/cut the track before the next one starts because it will continue on playing track after track (then again, that continuous option is great during long dinners). :wink: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ask Technics. They had one (10+ years ago…?). It didn’t live up to the hype.

But you are not the only DJ who exist (in opposite of how some of posts of yours say)

I think that some DJ would play analogs records and hit hard the drum pads and then say it is Denons fault andthat Denon need firmwares to fix the physics hahaha :scream:

You’re arguing that irrational or ignorant arguments shouldn’t just be countered or outright ignored. Since when did reason and common sense take a back seat to worry about baseless complaints? Is debate and critique so fear-inducing that it should altogether be avoided because sometimes it’s inconvenient or threatening?