SC 5000 M lagging randomly, going out of sync

Just unpacked my new out-of-the-Box Denon SC 5000 M and was pretty amazed at first by the amount of technical detail and innovation in there. Sadly the euphoria didn’t last that long as i realized the player lagging at random intervals, so the two songs went out of sync. As of yet this issue only occurs in motorized mode on one of the players. I tried attaching a video where you can observe the behaviour rather clearly but i can’t since I’m a new user. Does anyone experience similar issues? Do you have any ideas how to fix this? We tried disassembling the vinyl and metal plate and reassembling it. The screw is holding tight, also the vinyl does not appear to slow down while the lag occurs. I’ll try to upload the video somewhere else and link here.

1 Like

Is the unit on a flat surface? Someone else reported a similar issue and sorted it by situating the units on a flat surface

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the flayer is in fact standing on a perfectly flat surface. What i find really weird is that the vinyl seems to run perfectly smooth while the audio lags.

What happens if you use layers to beatmatch? Eg Layer A to B on one unit.

Check the platter and the spindle screw. After that, swap platters between the units to see if the problem follows.

I randomly had the same problem. Not experienced it for a couple of months now. Seems the 1.6 update has cured it somehow.

I tested the problem extensively and concluded that there are two separate issues:

1. One of the two players randomly lags for a splitsecond if the motor is running. This obviously causes two songs that ran parallel to not be in sync with each other anymore and ruins a show. This issues is not fixed by switching the platters and stays in the same player regardless of the platter that is mounted.
  2. Both players have problems with the BPM analysis or playback: If you set two songs analyzed on the players to the same tempo (set the ±4% range for the pitch fader and choose the lowest pitch fader position for which the tempo switches to a chosen bpm value) the actual tempo is way off sometimes (about 2 bpm) and the songs run away from each other quickly. The BPM does not seem to be constant though since I’m not able to find a tempo for which the songs play in the same speed even though I can beatmatch actual vinyl well. This issue could not be reproduced with motors turned of so far.

I’m on the verge of returning the players since it really is no fun playing this way. It makes me really sad though since I loved the options they bring. But these issues really are absolute deal-breakers. I found a few posts on this forum that seem to match the second issue but barely any with the first.

I also tried downgrading Engine OS from 1.6.1 to 1.5.3 but that did not fix any issues neither did a factory reset or a platter swap/reassemble. Any other ideas?

1 Like

Having exactly the same issues. I just want my money back now, I didn’t need this “effort” when Pioneer just work.

1 Like

Sadly, I have just ordered Pioneer 3000’s. I have to play a live stream next weekend and after my birthday this weekend and 5 different people trying to use them and struggling, they’re going back. I can’t sell these on to someone else morally that wouldn’t sit right, unfortunately looks like I’ve just got to have a fight! Denon have still to date, not got back to me. Gutted, but also incredibly annoyed.